Civil Works Supervisor Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
This post provides detailed information on the job description of a civil works supervisor, to help you learn what they do.
It highlights the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that commonly make up the civil works supervisor work description in most companies.
It also presents the major requirements that recruiters/employers may want you to fulfill to be hired for the civil works supervisor role.
Please, continue reading to increase your knowledge of the civil works supervisor career:
What Does a Civil Works Supervisor Do?
A civil works supervisor is responsible for overseeing the planning, coordination, budgeting, and supervision of civil construction projects from start to finish.
His/her job description involves several responsibilities like preparing cost estimates, budgets, and working timetables; interpreting and explaining contracts and technical information to other professionals; gathering and submitting reports on the work progress and budget matters to clients; and carrying out several other relevant duties as assigned to him or her.
In other words, a civil works supervisor oversees a team of specialized contractors and other personnel with the aim of scheduling and coordinating all construction processes to ensure that projects meet design specifications.
One of the core tasks that a civil works supervisor does is to manage construction projects by scheduling, overseeing, and coordinating all construction processes to ensure that projects meet design specifications and are in strict compliance with deadline and budget.
He/she is expected to liaise and work closely with other building specialists such as architects and civil engineers, and a wide range of various trade workers such as stonemasons, electricians, and carpenters.
Depending on the type of construction project, a civil works supervisor may be required to interact with lawyers and local government officials.
For example, when a civil works supervisor is overseeing city-owned property or municipal buildings, he or she must ensure that all regulations are met.
He/she may also be required to carry out the tasks of a cost estimator by utilizing specialized cost-estimating and planning software to examine and analyze how money and time are allocated to ensure that projects are completed in the best and lucrative way possible.
It is also highly important that supervisors of civil works maintain safety and legality from the beginning on the construction project to the end by ensuring that every work being performed is following governmental regulations, environmental issues, and local codes.
If you are seeking the civil works supervisor role, some of the required key skills and qualities to succeed on the job include strong leadership skills, excellent organization, and planning skills; great verbal and written communication skills, computer proficiency, and a well-developed financial management and budgeting skills.
Others are good problem-solving skills, excellent time management skills, and extensive construction experience; and strong interpersonal and teamwork skills.
In terms of academic qualifications, the ideal candidate for the civil works supervisor job is expected to possess a Bachelor’s degree in Construction Science, Construction Management, Architecture, or Engineering, or in a related field.
Most employers also prefer candidates who have acquired several years of professional experience in a relevant position/industry for the civil works supervisor position.
Civil Works Supervisor Salary: The average salary for a civil works supervisor according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics is $95,260 annually.
Civil Works Supervisor Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Civil works supervisors perform the responsibilities:
- Preparing cost estimates, budgets, and working timetables
- Interpreting and analyzing contracts and technical information with other professionals
- Gathering and presenting reports on work progress and budget matters to clients
- Working collaboratively with architects, engineers, and several other construction specialists
- Ensuring that all works are carried out in compliance with legal requirements, building and safety codes, and other regulations
- Responding to work delays, emergencies, and several other problems as required
- Meeting project goals and specifications by defining the scope and purpose of the project
- Relaying information to construction workers if the management wants changes in the construction plan.
Civil Works Supervisor Job Description for Resume
If you are making a resume or CV for a new job, you should add the professional experience section to it if you have worked before as a civil works supervisor or are presently working in that position.
In the professional or work experience part of your resume, you can highlight the duties and responsibilities you have successfully carried out as a civil works supervisor.
This piece of information can significantly influence the recruiter/employer to give you an interview, especially if the new job that you are seeking requires some civil works supervisor work experience.
You can quickly make a compelling professional experience part of your resume or CV by applying the civil works supervisor job description example above.
Civil Works Supervisor Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for a Successful Career
If you are seeking the civil works supervisor job, here are major requirements recruiters/employers may want you to meet:
- Strong leadership skills, since a civil works supervisor is required to effectively delegate tasks to construction workers, subcontractors, and other lower-level managers
- Excellent time-management skills to be able to meet deadlines
- Strong technical skills, since he/she must be fully aware of construction methods and technologies
- Great verbal and written communication skills that enable the civil works supervisor to write proposals, plans, and budgets, and also convey information to construction workers
- Good analytical skills, as this enables him/her to plan project strategies and handle unexpected issues
- Several years of professional experience in a relevant position/industry
- A Bachelor’s degree in Construction Science, Construction Management, Architecture, or Engineering, or in a similar discipline.
This post is useful to individuals interested in the civil works supervisor career.
They will be able to increase their knowledge of the civil works supervisor role and decide if it’s the career they want to take.
You will also find information on this page helpful if you are a recruiter/employer needing to find and hire competent individuals for a vacant civil works supervisor position in your organization.
You can apply the sample civil works supervisor job description above in creating a detailed description of the vacant position for use in your hiring process.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.