Retail Sales Associate Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
If you are searching for a retail sales associate job description to learn about the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities associated with the role, then this post will help you with the information.
You will also find this article helpful if you are seeking the job of a retail sales associate to learn about the requirements applicants must fulfill to be employed.
Please, continue reading:
What Does a Retail Sales Associate Do?
Retail sales associate are usually the first set of people a customer meets when they enter a store.
They are responsible for creating, as well as maintaining a long-term relationship with their customers so as to represent the store in a positive manner and achieve sales goals while ensuring further business.
Their responsibilities also include helping customers in making choices, and assisting them to locate items they want to buy, and also providing information about the particular product they are interested in.
The main duty of a retail sales associate is to sell. He/she may work in any industry – from selling cars to shoes.
The person needs to have an extensive knowledge of his/her company’s services and products, and must be customer focused and sales oriented.
In some companies, a retail sales associate’ work description may involve performing tasks, such as operating cash register once a sale has been made.
The role of the retail sales associate does not end here – they are also expected to order stock, stock shelves and even manage inventory.
They may be required to put a price on products, as well as update shelves if the price of any item changes, or when new products come in.
Retail sales associates work very closely with customers, which is the major reason they need to be able to resolve the customers’ complaints satisfactorily.
They educate customers with product knowledge in relation to warranty and features, along with any special deal or discount that the product may hold.
Retail Sales Associate Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Retail sales associates perform various functions in their quest to achieve sales goals. A list of specific duties, tasks, and responsibilities which make up most retail sales associates’ job description are shown below:
- Greet customers and determine their wants cum needs
- Discuss quality, type and number of merchandise required for a particular purchase
- Recommend merchandise based on the individual requirements
- Advise customers on care and utilization of merchandise
- Advise clients on any service or product they need information and help on
- Explain the advantage and use of merchandise to customers
- Answer customers’ questions satisfactorily
- Demonstrate live how merchandise works
- Quote discounts, prices, as well as trade-in allowances, credit terms, delivery dates and warranties
- Assist in displaying merchandise
- Welcome customers by greeting; and offer them assistance
- Direct customers by escorting them to counters and racks, as well as suggesting items they could buy
- Advice customers on suitable goods to purchase
- Assist customers in making selection from the diverse range of products available
- Build customer confidence by offering them suggestions and opinions
- Document sales by creating and updating customer profile records
- Process card payments and cash
- Stock shelves with merchandise
- Answer queries from customers
- Report problems and discrepancies to the supervisor
- Give guidance and advice to customers on product selection.
- Balance cash registers with receipts
- Attend to customer refunds
- Keep the store tidy and clean by hovering and mopping it daily
- Deal with customer complaints
- Work with established rules, mostly with brands
- Attach price tags to items on the shop floor
- Be on the lookout for fraudulent credit cards, shoplifters, etc.
Retail Sales Associate Job Description for Resume
The sample retail sales associate job description shown above can be applied when writing a resume for the role if you are searching for a new job and have worked or are currently working as a sales associate in a retail outfit.
You can simply adopt the highlighted retail sales associate duties and responsibilities in the sample job description in completing the professional experience section of your resume to show that you have proven experience of the job.
Retail Sales Associate Requirements – Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities for Career Success
If you are seeking the job of a retail sales associate, you should be aware that recruiters will want to be sure that you can effectively carry out the obligations, purpose, and objectives of the position before hiring you.
They will therefore want you to meet certain requirements to prove that you are the right person for the job.
Shown below are major required traits, knowledge, abilities, and skills, which applicants should possess to be considered by recruiters for the retail sales associate position:
- Possession of a High School diploma or equivalent educational level
- Sales experience may not be required
- Must have a confident disposition, and be able to treat customers with respect
- Must be polite, helpful, and regular in attendance
- Must be physically fit and able to lift as much as 50 pounds regularly; and perform physical activities such as bending, climbing, stooping, etc.
- Strong ability to stand or move about the department all through working hours
- Ability to adhere to company policy and procedures in carrying out all assigned duties
- Good written and verbal communication skills to relate effectively with customers, co-workers, and management
- Strong reading and math skills and ability to give attention to detail and write legibly
- Strong ability to relate effectively with co-workers and work in a team to achieve store goals
- Ability to always use relevant technological tools in carrying out the functions of the role
- Must have extensive understanding of the different departments, such as, Fast Moving Consumer Goods, retail, and sports equipment departments
- Must have knowledge of inventory techniques
- Must maintain smart dressing and appearance and be articulate in speech
- To be hired into this position, some employers may require you take and score high in certain job tests. See various job assessment tests and how to make high scores.
Also, see Top 15 Retail Sales Associate Skills to be best on the job.
If you are a recruiter or HR manager hiring for the retail sales associate position and need to make a description of the job to inform prospective employees of the duties and responsibilities to expect to perform if hired, the sample job description provided above gives you the information you need to make it.
Posting a detailed description of the retail sales associate position available in your store will help you attract the best qualified and capable individuals to your offer.
This post will also help individuals interested in the retail sales associate career to learn about what the role entails and be sure that is what they want to do.
Did this article improve your knowledge of what retail sales associates do? Please, make a comment in the box below. And if you are presently working as a retail sales associate or have worked in that role in the past, please share your job description and experience with the rest of us in the comment section below.
Retail Sales Associate Job Description Example – #1
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.