Civil Site Supervisor Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
This post provides complete information on the job description of a civil site supervisor, to help you learn what they do.
It highlights the major tasks, duties, and responsibilities that commonly make up the civil site supervisor work description in most companies.
It also presents the major requirements employers/recruiters will want you to fulfill to be hired for the civil site supervisor role.
Please, continue reading to increase your knowledge of the civil site supervisor career:
What Does a Civil Site Supervisor Do?
A civil site supervisor is responsible for monitoring civil construction projects. His/her job description entails overseeing activities such as building bridges, repairing highways, and doing construction on airports.
In other words, a civil site supervisor refers to a dedicated and experienced employee whose duty is to oversee construction projects and supervise construction teams.
Responsibilities that are carried out by a civil site supervisor include making orders for building supplies, scheduling equipment maintenance as needed, training new construction employees, and performing first aid in emergencies when required.
A civil site supervisor may be an office worker; however, most of his or her time is spent on construction sites to ensure that all parties involved in a construction project are performing up to par.
In the process of discharging his/her duties of monitoring all civil construction projects, the site supervisor is expected and required to carry out a wide range of important functions in his/her daily activities.
One of the core duties of a civil site supervisor is to coordinate construction activities by familiarizing him/herself with all aspects of the project, from structural drawings to budgets to deadlines.
A civil site supervisor must ensure that all parties are carrying out their various assigned roles, and he/she must carry out visual inspections of work completed.
It is also the duty of a civil site supervisor to identify and resolve problems that may arise during construction processes, such as resolving contract disputes, fixing the issue of materials not arriving on time, and so on.
A civil site supervisor must also ensure that he/she maintains safety and legality by ensuring that the works that are being carried out are structurally sound.
The process of maintaining safety and legality includes activities like following governmental regulations, addressing environmental issues, and working in strict compliance with local codes.
Additionally, communication plays a very important role in construction processes, therefore, a civil site supervisor is expected and required to act as a liaison between groups such as carpenters, pipefitters, and so on.
He/she may also be required to provide reports to project engineers and other personnel who monitor the progress of a construction project or make changes to plans.
To work in a civil site supervisor role, you will be expected to possess certain qualities and skills.
Some of these include profound knowledge of the construction industry, good leadership skills, and physical fitness and stamina; excellent planning and organizational skills, ability to efficiently and effectively multitask, and well-developed verbal and written communication skills;
Others are good teamwork and interpersonal skills and excellent time management skills.
In terms of academic qualifications, the ideal candidate for the civil site supervisor job is required to have a Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or Construction Management, or a degree in a related field, and a professional license.
Candidates who have acquired several years of professional experience are also preferred by most employers for the civil site supervisor job.
Civil Site Supervisor Salary: The average salary for a civil site supervisor position is $65,161 annually.
Civil Site Supervisor Job Description Example/Sample/Template
A civil site supervisor typically performs the responsibilities:
- Inspecting construction site occasionally to identify and remove potential safety hazards
- Overseeing, managing, and instructing the construction team, as well as contractors and subcontractors
- Enlightening site workers on construction safety regulations and guidelines, and accident protocol
- Keeping and maintaining an accurate and up-to-date record of construction employee attendance
- Monitoring and assessing the performance of construction employees and implementing disciplinary measures as required
- Examining and analyzing blueprints to make sure that construction projects are in strict compliance with design, safety, and budget specifications
- Maintains safety and legality by ensuring that the works that are being carried out are structurally sound
- Recommending and/or suggesting changes to construction operations to procedures to boost efficiency.
Civil Site Supervisor Job Description for Resume
If you are making a new resume or CV and have worked before as a civil site supervisor or are presently holding that role, you should show that experience by having the professional experience section added to your resume or CV.
With the professional or work experience section, you can highlight the duties and responsibilities you have successfully performed as a civil site supervisor.
This piece of information can greatly influence the employer/recruiter to call you up for an interview, especially if the civil site supervisor work experience that you have is important to the new job that you are seeking.
You can create a detailed and compelling professional experience section for your resume/CV by applying the civil site supervisor job description example above.
Civil Site Supervisor Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
If you are seeking the job of a civil site supervisor, here are major requirements, including essential skills and qualifications recruiters/employers may want you to meet to be hired:
- Adequate knowledge of construction tools and equipment such as structural drawings and blueprints, design software, building materials, surveys, budgets, building codes, permits, hard hats, and so on
- Excellent multitasking abilities, since a civil site supervisor must watch over different teams and activities at the same time
- Attention to detail, as this enables a civil site supervisor to ensure that nothing slips through the cracks
- Good leadership skills, he or she must motivate people to stay on task, work hard, and get things done
- Excellent organizational skills, as must put a variety of things in place to ensure that construction projects progress within budget and time constraints
- Several years of professional experience in a relevant position and/or industry
- A Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, Construction Management or a related field, and a professional license.
This post is useful to individuals interested in the civil site supervisor career. They will be able to learn all they need to know about the civil site supervisor job and make the best decision about taking the career or not.
It is also helpful to recruiters/employers looking to hire for the civil site supervisor position in their companies.
They can apply the sample civil site supervisor job description above in creating a detailed description of the vacant position for their organizations.
Best Health and Safety Certification Courses
If you are in or seeking a job in a field where
health and safety at workplace is a concern, like the construction industry, then you will need to complete a relevant course or two to gain the required knowledge and meet the OSHA requirements or other requirements.
>> OSHA 30 Hour Construction Industry Outreach Training Course
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.