This post provides exhaustive information on the job description of a Pharmacy Technician, to help you learn the job they do.
What Does a Pharmacy Technician Do?
A Pharmacy Technician, also referred to as a pharmaceutical technician, is a health care worker whose job description involves performing pharmacy related duties and responsibilities.
He/she generally works under the supervision of a licensed pharmacist.
Pharmacy technicians work in a different kind of locations, mostly in hospital and retail/community pharmacies, but sometimes also in pharmaceutical manufacturers, long-term care facilities, computer software companies, third-party insurance companies or in teaching or government establishments.
Their functions include distributing medical devices and prescription drugs to patients and instructions on how to use them.
They may also be required to perform administrative tasks in pharmaceutical stores. Such duties include reviewing prescription requests with insurance companies and doctor’s offices so as to be sure payment is received and correct medications are provided.
They may also speak directly with patients on the phone to assist in the awareness of taking medicines on time.
In several countries, both developing and the developed, the relative significance of pharmacy technicians within the pharmacy field has greatly increased in recent years, mostly in reaction to pharmacist shortages. This has also led to an increase in their roles and numbers.
Practical training like an internship in a pharmacy, is most times a prerequisite as part of training for anyone seeking employment as a pharmacy technician.
Some employers do favor pharmacy technicians to be certified with a local or national pharmacy board, like paying a fee or passing a standard examination.
Voluntary certification is available via many private organizations in countries like the United States.
However, in countries likes United Kingdom and Tanzania, pharmacy technicians need to be registered with the national regulatory council.
Pharmacy Technician Job Description Example/Sample/Template
The job description example below shows vital tasks, duties and responsibilities a pharmacy technician would be expected to perform for the organization they work for:
- Maintain pharmacy inventory
- Check pharmaceutical stock to determine the level of pharmacy inventory
- Anticipate needed supplies and medications
- Place and expedite orders
- Verify receipt
- Remove outdated drugs
- Prepare labels; calculate quantities; and assemble intravenous solutions
- Maintain records by filing and recording physicians’ prescriptions and orders
- Generate revenues by issuing, calculating recording charges
- Ensure medicine is available by delivering medications to departments and patients
- Prepare reports by summarizing and collecting information
- Contribute to team effort by aiming at achieve results as necessary
- Help maintain and clean work areas and equipment
- Sterilize glassware in accordance with prescribed methods
- Create and keep patient profiles with lists of medications taken by each patients
- Transfer medication from vials to disposable syringes with proper number of sterile, by using aseptic techniques
- Add measured nutrients and drugs to intravenous solutions under sterile conditions
- Prepare intravenous (IV) packs with the pharmacist supervision
- Monitor supply robotic machines that supply medicine into containers, and label such containers accordingly
- Process and prepare medical insurance claim records and forms
- Mix pharmaceutical preparations in accordance to written prescriptions
- Operate pharmacy cash registers and also accept payment from customers
- Compute charges for equipment and medication dispensed to hospital patients, and enter their data in computer
- Deliver pharmaceutical supplies and medications to surgery, patients and nursing stations
- Mark items for sale and price stock.
Pharmacy Technician Job Description for Resume
A pharmacy technician resume can be produced using information from the sample job description above.
Here are sample resumes for the position that can serve as templates in making your resume: #1: Pharmacy Technician Resume Example.
Pharmacy Technician Requirements: Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities for Career Success
Here is a list of vital skills, knowledge, and abilities a pharmacy technician is required to possess to be effective on the job:
- Work varied hours as many pharmacies open all day, and throughout the week
- Ability to routinely lift 50 pounds
- Ability to lift loads over the head
- Good knowledge of Supply Management principles
- Must have Integrity and well organized
- Possess strong reporting Skills, and the ability to give attention to detail
- Ability to analyze reports effectively and provide dependable information.