Medical Administrative Assistant Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
If you are searching for the job description of medical administrative assistants to increase your knowledge of what they do, then this post is what you are looking for.
You will discover the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that commonly define the medical administrative assistant work description.
This post will also help you to learn about the requirements you may have to fulfill if you are seeking the job of a medical administrative assistant with an organization.
Please, continue reading:
What Does a Medical Administrative Assistant Do?
Medical administrative assistants play an integral role in the efficient delivery of healthcare services.
Their job description entails transcribing treatment notes, updating medical histories, and processing of insurance forms.
It also involves making arrangement for patient hospitalization, as well as overseeing inventory of medical supplies.
In some places, the medical administrative assistant is the first contact a patient will have with the medical team.
Professionals in this role, might at times, be responsible for greeting patients and visitors, scheduling appointments, answering telephones, managing email inquiries and answering questions posed by clients and patients.
The medical administrative assistant’s job mostly requires specialized skills and knowledge, which is why many individuals have decided to pursue formal training in this area of work.
As someone who enrolled in medical administrative assistant course, you can prepare for an entry-level position in this fast growing allied health field, which will avail you the opportunity of helping patients access the medical care they need.
Medical administrative assistants use different organizational skills and industry-relevant knowledge cum technology to effectively manage the front office of the healthcare service provider in which they work.
Depending on the employer; professionals in this field typically perform a wide variety of tasks to support the medical team with administrative supports and care of their patients.
The medical administrative assistant work description entails both delegated clinical and administrative duties, as well as providing direct support to primary care providers.
It also involves providing direct care to patients in times of emergency.
The administrative assistant works in partnership with other team members to achieve the overall organizational goals.
He/she is also responsible for gathering patient data and performing in-house lab testing.
The peak of the medical administrative assistant’s responsibility is to provide clerical support to the medical team.
This involves acting as a lab concierge who will communicate with guests regarding needed lab work and ensuring that the lab work is correctly entered into the medical record prior to the visit to the office.
It is important to note that there is a high level of detail required in this position; therefore, individuals seeking to work as a medical administrative assistant will have to demonstrate excellent communication skills.
Medical Administrative Assistant Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Medical administrative assistants perform various functions in ensuring efficient delivery of general and front office support services in a healthcare facility.
Even though the specific duties and responsibilities of a medical administrative assistant depends on the organization they work for, however, the job description given below represents a good example of the duties they perform:
- Work with a team to establish efficient medical procedures and follow those procedures accordingly
- Meet with the Medical Director weekly to be mentored and given personal responsibilities
- Ensure all lab work are completed and placed in the medical record prior to patient’s visit
- Responsible for entering lab scans and values into the medical record
- Work together with the front office to ensure effective process for receiving lab work is maintained
- Prepare new guest binders and medical charts
- Prepare and restock exam rooms
- Assist the medical personnel with preparation and revision of documents, scanning of medical records, and general clerical duties
- Responsible for answering incoming calls
- Schedule medical appointment for doctors
- Collaborate with medical records
- Develop data bases and spreadsheets and maintain them
- Quickly prepare reports for emergency cases.
Medical Administrative Assistant Job Description for Resume
The duties and responsibilities contained in the sample medical administrative assistant job description presented above can serve as a good material for writing a resume for the position of medical administrative assistant.
See a complete medical administrative assistant resume here, which you can use as a template in writing your resume.
Medical Administrative Assistant Requirements – Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities for Career Success
If you are seeking to work as a medical administrative assistant with an organization, the recruiter will want to ensure that they are hiring the people that can perform the purpose, obligations, and objectives they have set for the position.
To achieve this, recruiters commonly give a list of requirements applicants seeking the medical administrative assistant job must fulfill to be considered for employment.
Shown below are major requirements any one applying for the medical administrative assistant job may be asked to meet:
- Possess a degree or diploma in an administrative or related discipline
- Must be willing and able to multi-task
- Must be extremely good at giving attention to details
- Must have basic computing, typing, and telephone etiquette skills
- Must be very competent with Windows and MS-Word and other Microsoft Office applications; specialized online medical technologies, instant messaging, and the Internet
- Must have experience working in an hospital or any medical setting
- Bilingual will an added advantage
- Must be able to ensure accountability at all times
- Must have good written and verbal communication skills and strong sense of urgency
- Must be able to work alone and within a team effectively
- Must have respectful, courteous, and professional attitude
- Ability to make sound decisions and judgment
- Outstanding prioritization and organizational techniques.
See 15 top medical administrative assistant skills to be best on the job.
If you are a recruiter or HR manager needing to hire for a medical administrative assistant position and need a sample job description for the role to make one for your organization, this post will be helpful to you.
You can adopt the medical administrative assistant duties and responsibilities shared in the job description example above in making a well matching description of the role in your facility and increase your chances of finding the right candidates for the job.
This post also affords individuals who are interested in the medical administrative assistant career the opportunity to learn about the duties commonly assigned to the position and decide if that is what they want to do or not.
Did you find this article helpful in learning about what medical administrative assistants do? Please, leave a comment in the box. You may also discuss your job description if you work as a medical administrative assistant.