This post presents detailed information on the materials manager job description, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities they commonly perform.
It also highlights the major requirements you may be expected to meet to be hired for the materials manager role by most employers/recruiters.
What Does a Materials Manager Do?
A materials manager assists a company in identifying the needed supplies for the smooth running of a company at all times.
The materials manager job description entails assisting in the planning, controlling, and efficient distribution of goods and services in a company. He/she most times works hand-in-hand with the company’s purchase and production units.
The materials manager helps the company in attaining both their long and short term general goals and also in making sure that the company’s supply chain is functional at every given point in time.
That is to say that he/she must be able to orchestrate deals that ensure the inflow of materials into the company (or factory as the case may be) so that products/services will continue to flow out of the company, ensuring a steady inflow of income.
In some or most cases, a materials manager is usually referred to as a purchasing manager. Under this role, he/she is saddled with the responsibility of planning and coordinating procedure of purchasing materials.
The manager in charge of supplying a company’s materials usually takes part in the development of requests for both equipment and sundry items.
Put differently, he/she develops the procedure(s) for the acquisition of supplies for the company.
He/she helps in drawing up a company’s purchasing policies and also makes sure that they are carried out to the letter.
In the case of recruiting staff for the materials management unit, the manager works with the company’s human resource unit to interview and train qualified members of staff for the unit.
His/her work description also involves keeping record of purchases that are made by the company, including any other form of documentation that is required based on government policy; he/she also reviews purchases as at when due.
In some instances, the manager might not be able to handle every aspect of a company’s supply needs. In cases like this, he/she will need to have a team to help out with daily activities.
He/she also manages details that are related to acquisition and procurement within the company. These details may include maintaining contact with suppliers and preparation, and delivering of orders that were made by customers.
Most importantly, the materials manager deals with issues that may arise, like complaints from suppliers, contractors, and even staff of the company.
Materials Manger Job Description Example/Template
Materials manager performs various functions in making sure that goods required for production in a company are made available.
Here is an example of the kind of job description commonly handed to individuals holding the position of materials manager in most companies; including the duties, tasks, and responsibilities associated with the role:
- Work hand-in-hand with other managers and unit heads within the company to determine the company’s supply needs
- Maintain existing relationship between the company and contractors
- Supervise available stock and/or inventory, and also prepare report for company top management or executives
- Oversee the shipping of materials to make sure that they are all in good shape
- Carry out survey and search for credible suppliers that are up to the task
- Negotiate with suppliers, place orders for materials on behalf of the company, and also make sure that orders are delivered as at when due
- Train newly recruited staff within the purchasing unit of the company
- Monitor the distribution of supplies within the company to ensure efficiency
- Maintain well-detailed records of any form of orders and purchases that are made by the company.
Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities – for Materials Manager Role
If you are interested in the job of the manager responsible for materials in a company, the following gives the major requirements and qualifications you may need to meet to be able to access the role with most employers:
- Ability to work as a team member and/or a team leader if necessary
- Good leadership traits
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Must possess excellent analytical, negotiation, and problem-solving skills
- Must have an eye for details even the smallest of them all
- Must be proactive in approach to solving problems
- Time management skills are very important in this job
- Thorough understanding of the processes involved in the ordering, procurement, and delivering of supplies
- Bachelor’s degree in any logistics or management related field will suffice
- At least 2 years of experience in a unit or position in which procurement and supplies are handled
- Any management-related certification(s) will be welcome.
If you are an employer, the sample job description in this post will help you to design one for your company if you are hiring for the role of materials manager.
You will be able to attract the best candidates to your offer by creating a great description for the position, which you can easily and quickly do by applying the materials manager duties and responsibilities highlighted in this post.
This post also helps individuals interested in the materials management career. They will now have a greater understanding of what is involved to be a materials manager in a company.