This post provides detailed information on the job description of a waiter/waitress, to boost your knowledge of their duties, tasks, and responsibilities.
What Does a Waiter/Waitress Do?
Waiters and waitresses work in establishments where foods and drinks are served to guests or customers. These include hotels, bars, and restaurants.
Their job description involves serving drinks and foods to customers or guests in a polite and friendly manner.
They are responsible for taking orders from customers or guests and presenting it to the kitchen staff exactly the way the customer wants it, and delivering the prepared food or drink to the customer promptly.
Other tasks they may carry out include suggesting to customers the menu to pick and handling register as the case may be so as to make sure all customers are accurately and quickly checked out.
They also perform duties such as informing customers of the day’s specials and prices, and presenting menu information to them.
Waiters and waitresses are usually required by their employers to have excellent customer service skills because of their direct contact with customers and guests.
They should also have good knowledge of formal dining room service standards, safety and sanitation regulations so as to provide outstanding and enjoyable service to customers or guests.
The waiter’s job requires continuous walking and occasional sitting. It also involves frequent lifting of light to medium loads, occasionally heavy loads with the support from other people.
The job also requires squatting, bending, kneeling, crawling, and climbing.
Waiter/Waitress Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Shown below is an example of the kind of job description usually presented to newly hired waiters by most employers to execute.
It consist of vital tasks, duties, and responsibilities that form their daily activities at work.
- Read communication pad at the start of duty, read the day’s menu, and check board for special instructions, guests, and room trays
- Serve food and drinks to guests applying knowledge of appropriate menu and diet order
- Obtain menu order politely by smiling and speaking clearly to guests
- Responsible for serving and cleaning tables applying the right procedures
- Perform table bussing carefully and silently
- Prepare room trays correctly and efficiently
- Ensure room carts are delivered and retrieved on schedule
- Make beverages following list and place on the right table
- Wash dishes following laid down procedures and soak bowls, silverware, and other materials as instructed
- Observe and ensure the right temperatures are maintained for dish machine
- Adhere to dish and utensil handling procedures to avoid cross contamination
- Wash pots and pans, air dry them and keep in the right location
- Perform correct wing refrigerator stocking
- Ensure work environment is kept neat and organized
- Establish good relationship with guests, customers, and colleagues
- Perform other duties that may be assigned by the supervisor.
Waiter/Waitress Job Description for Resume
When preparing a resume for the post of waiter, the job history section of the resume can be made by using information from the job description sample shown above.
Here is a sample resume to help you in preparing your resume: Waiter/Waitress Resume Sample
Waiter/Waitress Requirements: Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities for Career Success
When hiring a waiter or waitress, employers usually look for certain traits, skills, and knowledge from the applicants to be sure they will be efficient and effective on the job if hired.
Below is a list of required traits, knowledge, abilities, and skills that waiters and waitress should possess that enhance job performance.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Ability to apply positive interpersonal skills to relate cordially with guests or customers and co-workers
- Good physical strength to be able to move up and down, including going up and down staircases
- Bilingual, with a good command of English
- Strong knowledge of placing foods in its right category
- Strong stamina to work long hours
- Well motivated with ability to function effectively in a team
- Well presentable with clean and friendly appearance
- Ability to work under pressure without being stressed out.