Construction Operations Manager Job Description, Duties, and Responsibilities
What Does a Construction Operations Manager Do?
Construction operations managers basically work in large construction companies where they supervise various projects simultaneously or intermittently as the case may be.
Their job description usually entails working hand-in-hand with project managers to make sure there is efficient allocation of resources; they also strive to enhance the commercial value of the business.
They try as much as possible to meet project budgets through assessing and analyzing operational and financial risks that may be encountered in the execution of planned construction projects.
They then advise the company in making decisions that are commercially viable.
The construction operations manager’s role also entails making sure that works are allocated to project managers in an appropriate manner and are prioritized based on how urgent they are, and also based on the needs of the customer.
It is also the duty of the construction manager to explain technical information to clients or customers when the need arises.
He/she is in charge of the designing and execution of construction strategies upon which the completion of different projects will be based.
These strategies may deal with issues like mapping out guidelines for the selection of contractors to execute projects, and the specification of the pattern or order in which a project (construction activity) will be carried out.
The construction operations manager work description may also involve him/her working hand-in-hand with engineers in the company to prepare procedures or to carry out the necessary checks on an already completed project to ensure it is up to standard before handing it over to the owner as a finished work.
Another line of duty for an operations manager in a construction setting is to always make sure that every project at hand is completed and delivered to the owner as at when due, and that expenses incurred in the project process fall within the stipulated company budget.
He/she is always available to work with the project manager to make sure any form of challenge that comes up is quickly addressed and nipped in the bud.
He/she also plays the role of a middle man or communication link between project managers and the management staff of the company.
Construction Operations Manager Job Description Example/Template
Construction operations manager performs various functions in ensuring effective planning and supervision of construction projects.
The job description below is an example of the kind of tasks, duties, and responsibilities commonly performed by operations managers in the construction industry:
- Work hand-in-hand with the project team to create a mutual understanding of the project strategy based on the requirement of the job
- Conduct in-depth reviews and analysis of all project or contract documents so as to be familiar with every detail and/or requirements
- Work with safety units in a bid to plan and manage safety programs for each project and make sure that all aspects of safety are reached
- Help project managers and engineers in the arrangement and analysis of projects and scheduling of reports on projects
- Oversee projects as they are being carried out to make sure that the work is done according to outlined specifications, and that they also conform with project timetable
- Convey project needs from the project manager to the management of the firm. For example, in a case whereby extra funds are needed for the completion of a project, the project manager communicates the situation to the management of the company usually through the construction operations manager
- Assist in the maintenance, development, and enhancement of the company’s relationship with contractors in a bid to produce strategic partnership
- Train and mentor employees in areas of project management and estimating.
Requirements – Abilities, Knowledge, and Skills – for Construction Operations Manager Role
To be hired for the role of construction manager, you may need to meet the following requirements, which are typically set by most employers:
- Good and effective communication skills
- Good analytical and organizational abilities are of great importance
- Possess good leadership ability, as well as ability to work as part of a team or even lead a team when called upon
- Ability to read and interpret specifications
- Ability to be proactive and also to foresee events and react appropriately towards them
- The ability to multitask and strategize in different situations is also relevant
- Ability to work and carry out projects within a stipulated time frame or deadline
- Bachelor’s degree in civil, mechanical, or electrical engineering
- Masters degree in any management or engineering field will be an added advantage
- At least 5 years on-the-job experience in a similar role or in any other construction capacity.
If you are an employer in the construction industry needing to hire for the position of operations manager, this post provides a sample job description you can apply in making one for the role for your company.
The work description you can create with the detailed information in this article can enable you to attract the best qualified applicants to your job offer.
If you are interested in a career in the construction industry, you will also find this post useful in learning about the duties and responsibilities of the construction operations manager job.
Did this article help you improve your knowledge of what operations managers in the construction industry do? Please, leave a comment of what you think about this post in the box below. You may also share the description of your job if you work as a construction operations manager.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.