This post presents detailed information on the transportation operations manager job description, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities they commonly perform.
It also highlights the major requirements you may be expected to meet to be hired for the transportation operations manager role by most employers/recruiters.
What Does a Transportation Operations Manager Do?
A transportation operations manager is responsible for processing sales orders for the creation and distribution of picking tickets, organizing the safe operation of lifting and moving equipment, operations that have to do with loading, orderly, and efficient organization of delivery vehicles.
His/her job description also entails coordinating the outward movement (shipping) and receiving of work equipment.
He/she is also responsible for ensuring clear and efficient communication with all stakeholders, and also for completing the necessary paperwork that is involved in the whole business process.
That is to say that the operations manager effectively coordinates the transport activities of the company.
The manager’s role involves negotiating the cost of transporting raw materials from extraction sites as well as the movement of finished goods from the company to the appropriate customers as at when due.
He/she develops cordial relationship with the required transportation personnel in order to make sure that deliveries are carried out efficiently.
He/she also directs every transport activity within the company/organization, thereby monitoring its costs.
The work description of the transportation operations manager involves planning, organizing, directing, and managing the operations of the department, which makes them responsible for the transportation needs within the company.
He/she coordinates the delivery and picking up of materials with both the customer and the sales departments.
The coordination of procurement, repair, delivery, recovery, rental, staging, and selection of plant materials are also carried out by the transportation manager.
The description of the role of the manager in charge of transport operations in most firms also involves identifying opportunities for improvement in transportation activities in the company.
He/she also makes sure that the procedures/system of operation that he/she uses in the daily running of the company’s business is in line with current transportation technology systems standard.
Transportation Operations Manager Job Description Example/Template
Transportation operations managers perform various functions in ensuring effective and efficient transport service in their companies.
The job description below is a typical example of the kind of tasks, duties, and responsibilities commonly assigned to individuals who work as transportation operations manager in most organizations:
- Direct the activities of staff in relation to transport operations within the company on duties like dispatching and tracking/monitoring of transportation vehicles
- Monitor the general operations of staff of the transportation department to make sure that their operations are within the guidelines, safety measures, government orders, and administrative policies
- Involve in the negotiation and authorization of contracts and other forms of purchases and procurements that are related to the company’s transportation needs
- Develop important indicators that measure and show the effectiveness of the company’s transportation operations
- Develop transportation policies across appropriate units within the firm
- Appoint competent transportation staff. This usually involves carrying out interview, selection, training, and performance appraisal of every transportation personnel
- Negotiate with warehouse owners or operators and carriers for their services and for fair rates
- Conduct necessary investigation(s) to determine the cause of problems like accidents (if any arises) and to set up safety measures to avoid recurrence of such issues
- Develop and implement plans that will lead to improvement in company profit
- Implement management recommendations, like proposed fees and change in movement schedule
- Maintain open dialogue with other units’ managers so as to organize activities that will enhance company’s general performance
- Take charge of investigations that look into customer complaints with regards to product delivery and other transportation-associated issues
- Make recommendation for the acquisition of new equipment or the replacement of old ones.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for Transportation Operations Manager Role
When hiring for the role of transportation operations manager, most employers will expect you to meet the following requirements to qualify for an interview appointment:
- Must possess good communication skills, with emphasis on the ability to effectively produce and distribute information across different units within and outside the firm
- Good leadership qualities are of utmost importance
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team and also to lead a team when the opportunity arises
- Excellent analytical skills
- Good time management abilities
- Good negotiation skills and excellent decision-making ability
- Good customer service skills so as to be able to maintain/retain existing customers
- Good interpersonal skills are also important
- A degree in any social science or management field will suffice
- Knowledge of the procedures and modes of transportation for moving goods
- Basic computer knowledge
- Knowledge of basic customer service procedures
- 1-3 years working experience in a similar role or capacity.
You will find the sample job description for the transportation operations manager position provided in this post useful if you are an employer hiring for the role.
You will be able to produce a great description for the position in your company easily and quickly too by making use of the content of this post, and that will increase your chances of getting the best qualified people applying for the job.
Individuals interested in a career in the field of transportation management will also find this post helpful in learning about the duties and responsibilities that characterize the position of the manager responsible for a company’s transportation operations.