This post presents detailed information on the job description of a hostess, to boost your knowledge of the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that they commonly perform.
What Does a Hostess Do?
A hostess is the first person you get to see as you walk into any food service organization like a restaurant or hotel.
They usually walk up to you as a customer, greet you, and direct you to your table.
The hostess job description entails coordinating the activities in the host area of the hotel/restaurant.
With the way the food industry business has been growing over the years, there has been the need for the position of a hostess for effective service rendering.
The hostess role is suitable for people who are very comfortable with the hustle and bustle associated with the food service industry.
A hostess is a very important position in any food service industry, she is the first representative of the hotel and as such the first impression gotten about the organization is usually given by the hostess.
As the total impression of the restaurant/hotel, the hostess needs to look good and presentable as much as possible; she must dress in an appropriate manner (that is for those who are allowed to wear clothing of their choice.)
At all times, she is expected to be or look excited as this has a way of appealing to customers and making them feel welcome and comfortable, which may make them to want to come back.
Hostesses play a great role in the hospitality business, hence the need for them to develop proper etiquette and customer service skills.
They also play a huge role in the overall management of any food industry; they are responsible for keeping the host area as clean as possible, ensuring that tables and chairs are well kept.
As a hostess in any organization, your work description may entail monitoring the servers, their activities and how many tables each of them is responsible for.
Other duties the hostess may perform include assisting in keeping the tables tidy before customers step in, or as they walk towards a seat that is not well kept.
Her personality matters a whole lot and holds power, whether positive or negative at the front door. Whatever character is radiated by this staff towards customers is considered to be how the organization is.
As a hostess you are considered to begin and determine the tone of the evening; one unique skill you must possess should be the ability to communicate effectively; being comfortable making use of your voice, and being very outspoken.
One skill a hostess requires is the Ability to multi-task and juggle between various tasks – this is very crucial.
A hostess needs to be in constant communication with the kitchen, providing them with information about guests’ orders.
Hostess Job Description Example/Sample/Template
The various responsibilities, tasks, and duties of a Hostess is given in the following job description example:
- Keep the customers as comfortable as possible
- Act as an intermediary between the kitchen and restaurant staff
- Monitor the status of each table and provide guests with the menu
- Welcome and lead guests to their tables
- Answer phone calls and take reservations
- Provide report on the daily activities in the facility
- Make guests comfortable while waiting for their orders
- Assist in table clearing as occasion demands
- Proffer appropriate seating arrangements
- Take orders and present menus
- Ensure sufficient quantity of menus that will be enough to cater for available guests
- Relay customers’ orders to the kitchen staff and ensure that they are filled accurately and timely
- Make reservation arrangements
- Ensure that work area and tables are clean and organized
- Ensure maintenance of both interior and exterior environment of the hotel / restaurant
Hostess Job Description for Resume
If you are looking for a job as hostess, you will need to have a good resume ready because employers will ask for it.
To prepare one, you can use the job description sample provided above as a source of relevant information for creating the work experience part of the resume.
See how to prepare a resume for the hostess job and a sample resume if you need help in preparing one.
Hostess Requirements: Abilities, Skills, and Knowledge for Career Success
There are certain skills and competencies employers will usually require from applicants as qualification for the job of a hostess, the major ones are as follows:
- Ability to pay attention to details
- Bachelor’s degree in hotel management
- Having work experience in similar position and industry is an advantage
- Ability to be flexible and to perform multiple tasks effectively at the same time
- Possess organizational skills
- Strong ability to work in and with a team
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Possess problem solving abilities
- Possess excellent management skills
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills to relate effectively with guests and colleagues
- Fair communication skills
- Depending on the nature and size of the business, a fair knowledge of computer may be required
If you are a hostess or have once worked as one, please share your job description and work experience so others can gain from it, much thanks!