State Farm Claims Specialist Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
This article takes a comprehensive look at the State Farm Claims Specialist job description. It covers what the claims specialist job at the State Farm entails, including the duties and responsibilities they perform.
It also provides information on the requirements to meet to be hired for the claims specialist role at the State Farm and other like companies, as well as the expected salary for the position.
What Does a State Farm Claims Specialist Do?
A State Farm claims specialist investigates, evaluates, negotiates, and settles auto claimsin an assigned area to include verification of coverage, legal liability and extent of damage to persons and property, which may necessitate interaction through phone, e-mail, in-person, or different electronic media.
He/she ensures that all necessary information regarding the claim is obtained from the insured, witnesses, and other parties involved, and/or third-party providers.
The State Farm claims specialist job description entails reviewing and analysing necessary information to determine if there are any issues with regard to coverage, liability, or damages.
If there are issues, then the claims specialist will communicate the findings to the insurance company.
The claims specialist at the State Farm processes and evaluates claim adjustments. They process and evaluate claims for payment.
This includes determining the amount of loss, whether it is covered under the policy, and how much will be paid.
State Farm claims specialists must ensure that all applicable laws have been followed and that payments are made within the time limits specified in the policy.
They communicate with the insured about their claims. This communication can include providing them with copies of documents related to their claim, answering questions they may have, and explaining the status of their claim.
The claims specialist at the State Farm reviews and analyses claim files to determine the validity of claims submitted.
They must review each file to make sure that all documentation have been provided and that all required procedures have been completed.
They provide written reports to insurance companies regarding the status of claims. These reports should contain detailed explanations of why certain claims were denied.
They resolve disputes between insured and insurers. This involves communicating with both parties to attempt to reach agreements on settlement amounts and terms.
The State Farm claims specialist duties also entails ensuring that all legal requirements have been met before making payments.
This includes ensuring that all applicable laws have not been violated, such as those involving discrimination, unfair trade practices, etc.
They prepare payment certiﬁcates for the insured. This document contains all pertinent information needed by the insured to receive money from the insurer.
It also explains what is being paid, when it was paid, and who received it.
The State Farm claims specialist updates the insured on the status of his or her claim. This includes informing him or her of any changes to the claim and any new developments.
They documents work completed by others in connection with an insured’s claim. This includes documenting all services performed by third-party vendors.
They convey information to other employees. This includes ﬂagging items for future reference and providing information to supervisors.
They work independently and do not require constant supervision; they are expected to be able to perform their duties without direct supervision.
A State Farm claims specialist may perform duties outside normal working hours. However, he or she must notify his or her supervisor immediately if this occurs.
They assist in processing claims. They are responsible for collecting necessary data and documentation from clients. They then enter the data into the computer system.
Their duties also entail pursuing settlement agreements. This involves contacting the insurance company directly and attempting to negotiate settlements.
They perform administrative tasks, including entering information into the computer system, preparing reports, and maintaining records.
The State Farm claims specialist also provides support services to clients. This includes assisting them in completing forms, answering questions, and explaining procedures.
State Farm Claims Specialist Job Description Example/Sample/Template
The State Farm claims specialist job description consists of the following duties, tasks, and responsibilities:
- Investigate insurance claim to determine if it qualifies for payment under the policy
- Contact the insurer’s representative to obtain information about the claim
- Obtain all necessary documentation from the claimant and/or witnesses
- Contact third party providers such as doctors or hospitals to verify medical treatment received by the insured person
- Review the entire file to ensure that no additional payments are due
- Prepare an accurate report summarizing the investigation and findings
- Provide any other assistance requested by the insurer’s representatives
- Inform the insurer when the claim has been closed
- Keep records of all work performed in connection with the claim
- Maintain confidentiality regarding information obtained during the course of the investigation
- Follow up on outstanding issues related to the claim
- Make sure all necessary reports are completed and submitted promptly to the appropriate parties
- Evaluate the accuracy of the completed reports
- Correct any errors found in the reports
- Report to the supervisor any problems encountered while performing your duties
- Carry out negotiations of claim settlements with claimants and their attorneys
- Assist in processing new claims.
State Farm Claims Specialist Job Description for Resume
If you are writing a new resume/CV and have worked previously as a claims specialist with the State Farm or are presently working in that role, your resume will be stronger if you expressed that experience in its Professional Experience section.
You can apply the above sample State Farm claims specialist job description in highlighting the duties and responsibilities you have performed working as a claims specialist with the State Farm.
This can boost the impact of your resume on the recruiter/employer to give you an interview, especially if the new job that you are seeking requires some claims specialist job experience.
State Farm Claims Specialist Requirements: Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
If you are seeking to work as a claims specialist with the State Farm or other company in the same industry, here are major requirements to meet:
- Must be 18 years old minimum and have completed a high school diploma program or its equivalent
- Must pass a criminal background check and be able to maintain confidentiality
- Possess the ability to read, write, speak, and understand English, and to follow instructions
- Ability to perform basic math computations
- Must be willing to work overtime when required by the manager and travel at a short notice
- Ability to lift 50 pounds and stand and sit for extended periods of time
- Must be able to use a keyboard and mouse and type up to 40 words per minute
- Ability to perform general office duties and sit for long periods of time on the job.
State Farm Claims Specialist Salary
According to Glassdoor, the average salary for a State Farm claims specialist is $59, 989, while the salary range can be between $40,540 and $110,979 annually.
This post is helpful to individuals interested in the claims specialist career with the State Farm or other similar companies who want to learn about the duties they commonly carry out.
It is also useful to recruiters/employers in the same industry as the State Farm who are in the process of hiring for the claims specialist role in their companies.
They can apply the State Farm claims specialist job description on this page in making a detailed description of the role for their organizations for use in their recruitment process.