This post provides complete information on the job description of a sales account manager, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that they commonly perform.
What Does a Sales Account Manager Do?
A sales account manager is responsible for the sales and distribution of a company’s products.
His/her job description entails ensuring the continued growth of the company’s sales process in his or her assigned area.
His/her role involves developing a strategy for sales and also for marketing.
A sales account manager defines the sales goals for the company and ensures its execution.
He/she oversees a team of sales personnel, and supervises their operation to ensure effective performance and healthy profit delivery.
They supervise all sales activities of the company or in a specific area and analyze various sales data.
They are also responsible for creating targets for the company as it regards sales activities.
Most of the times, this position is occupied by people who started their careers working as salespersons and then gradually worked their way up through different sales positions to become regional, and then national sales managers.
This manager is obviously bound to spend a great deal of his/her time travelling so as to meet with other regional managers of the company.
This profession requires that you occasionally have to attend educational workshops in order to update technical and professional knowledge.
This position also involves lots of hours on the computer or on the phone.
The sales account manager’s work description also entails participating in recruiting sales staff and taking them through relevant training.
He/she may serve as a coach to other sales personnel, and as such the possession of good leadership skills is very essential for this role.
Anybody in this position is expected to ensure the development of new sales leads, and he/she must effectively service already existing ones.
Sales Account Manager Job Description Example/Sample/Template
The position of sales account manager comes with various responsibilities and tasks that vary from company to company, but in general perspective they include the following listed in the job description example below:
- Service existing customers
- Ensure improvement in company’s margins
- Document clearly complaints, issues, and problems with sales process for future review
- Identify opportunities for sales improvement
- Secure sales orders
- Engage in sales forecast
- Assist customers and educate them on the benefit of company’s products
- Provide technical support
- Review the performance and reports of sales staff and their activities
- Lead project management process
- Ensure achievement of sales targets
- Deliver presentations on sales to superior executives
- Attend client meetings
- Maintain relationships with existing clients
- Expand relationships with potential clients
- Complete administrative work as required
- Manage a portfolio of accounts
- Handle certain aspects of company’s campaign
- Generate new business with the use of existing company’s network contacts
- Lead other members of the account team
- Ensure that solutions are successfully and timely delivered to customers and according to their specifications
- Regularly communicate to internal and external stakeholders on the progress of initiatives employed on sales activities
- Track key account metrics
- Identify and develop opportunities within a territory
- Collaborate with sales team in order to ensure attainment of growth
Sales Account Manager Job Description for Resume
If you need to prepare a resume for use in applying to an available sales account manager job, the sample job description shown above can be helpful.
The tasks, duties, and responsibilities of the position that have been highlighted provide the relevant content for writing the work experience part of the resume.
Sales Account Manager Requirements: Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge for Career Success
Here are major skills and other attributes individuals looking forward to work as sales account managers should possess to attract employers, as well as to succeed on the job:
- Proven experience in account management
- Ability to effectively communicate and credibly influence people at all levels
- Proven experience in the delivery of solutions that are client-focused and based on the needs of customers
- Demonstrated ability to effectively handle multiple projects
- Ability to pay strict attention to details
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Excellent presentation skills
- Excellent listening ability
- Excellent communication skills – both verbal and written
- An equivalent of a BA/BS degree