Brick Mason Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
This post provides exhaustive information on the job description of a brick mason, to help you learn what they do.
It presents the key tasks, duties, and responsibilities that commonly make up the brick mason work description in most organizations.
It also highlights the major requirements you will likely be expected to meet if you are applying for the brick mason position.
Please, continue reading to learn more about the brick mason career:
What Does a Brick Mason Do?
A brick mason can be described as a skilled construction worker who is saddled with the responsibility of using bricks in building structures for all varieties of industrial, commercial, and residential projects.
He/she is responsible for the construction of brick walls by using manufactured and natural stones to create various structures and surfaces, which may include chimneys, paths, and walls.
His/her job description entails working with hand tools in the development of structures that are functional as well as decorative.
It also involves construction and repair of building structures using layers of materials such as bricks, cement, and stones.
A brick mason, also known as a bricklayer, is usually saddled with the responsibility of building and repairing various brick and stone structures such as fences, roads, walls, walkways, and floors, and several other structures or surfaces that require the use of bricks or stones.
They are responsible for carrying out several essential duties which may include laying out patterns, reading blueprints, complying with safety procedures, cutting and arranging bricks orderly, ensuring that both aesthetic and structural purposes are met, and choosing between rigid and flexible bonds between bricks when deciding whether a joint should be rigid or flexible.
A brick mason is also saddled with the responsibility of carrying out tasks such as the evaluation of existing brickwork, developing repair plans and planning structures, purchasing supplies, mixing and preparing materials, creating structures and laying bricks.
His/her work description also involves interpreting blueprints and diagrams in order to carry out projects exactly as specified, carefully evaluating the materials and labor that are involved in a project for proper estimation.
It also entails physically building or repairing structures by making accurate measurements; properly inspecting work progress, and visual appeal, and also ensuring safety by cleaning up the environment and the tools.
Individuals who want to become a brick mason is expected to demonstrate certain important skills or characteristics, such as the ability to work well with others, adhere to directions so that tasks are carried out efficiently, and that safety is maintained.
They are also expected to have highly detail-oriented mind, physical strength, and stamina.
In terms of academic qualifications, the brick mason role requires individuals interested in the career to hold at least a High School diploma and must have undergone an apprenticeship in the field.
Some employers also demand several years of proven work experience in executing masonry projects.
Brick Mason Salary: The average salary for a brick mason is $37,500.
Brick Mason Job Description Example/Sample/Template
The following are major tasks, duties, and responsibilities that typically make up the brick mason job description in most organizations:
- Examining and studying layouts and preparing surfaces before working
- Identifying and analyzing the width and length of the area and coming up with a design plan for construction
- Preparing a mixture of concrete and plaster to cover surfaces
- Carving out, designing, and building structures and surfaces
- Placing materials such as brick on a mortar bed
- Cutting or sawing bricks into specific shapes and sizes to fit around windows and doors
- Building walls, fences, walkways, and roads with the use of various materials such as concrete, marble, wood, stone, and bricks
- Making estimates to know how much time a job will take to be completed and how much the total cost will be
- Ensuring that all safety procedures are strictly adhered to by cleaning up the environment and tools, and wearing the appropriate safety gear such as reflective vests and hats
- Carrying out all types of brick and block projects.
Brick Mason Job Description for Resume
If you have worked before as a brick mason or are presently working in that role and are preparing a new resume, you can create a compelling professional or work experience section for your resume by applying the duties and responsibilities highlighted in the brick mason job description example above.
With a good professional experience section in your resume, you will be able to let the recruiter know that you have been successful performing the duties of a brick mason, which can be a deciding factor for them in hiring you.
This is more so if the new job requires someone with some brick masonry work experience.
Brick Mason Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
If you are seeking the job of a brick mason, it is important to know that recruiters will want you to fulfill certain requirements to be hired. These include:
- Profound knowledge of mixing cement, plaster, and mortar in adequate proportion
- A well-developed sense of mathematical precision and proportion
- Adequate knowledge of masonry safety practices and procedures
- Ability to understand the blueprint of structures
- Good physical shape and stamina
- Strong reasoning, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Several years of professional work experience in executing masonry projects, and expertise in handling various masonry equipment and tools
- At least a High School diploma and apprenticeship experience in the field.
If you are a recruiter or HR manager needing to hire for the brick mason role, you will need to make and publish a description of the vacant position to let prospective employees know the kind of duties they will be expected to perform working as a brick mason.
You can use the sample brick mason job description provided above in making the perfect description of the available job in your organization.
You will also find this post helpful if you are someone interested in the brick masonry career; you will be able to learn all that you need to know about what brick masons do and so be able to decide if that is what you want to do for a career.