Car Painter Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
This post provides complete information on the job description of a car painter, to help you learn about the work they do.
It presents the key tasks, duties, and responsibilities that commonly make up the car painter work description in most organizations.
It also shows the major requirements you will be expected to fulfill by recruiters if you are seeking the car painter role.
Please, continue reading to learn more about the car painter career:
What Does a Car Painter Do?
A car painter is responsible for making cosmetic repairs to vehicles and repainting them, often after collisions or accidents.
He/she is a specialist in the intricate craft of matching old paint to new colors and then applying the paint to a car with the use of specific equipment such as a spray gun.
The car painter job description entails painting various vehicles such as cars, trucks, trains, and buses.
It also involves painting a vehicle according to the customer’s demands, ensuring that the painting is done perfectly.
He/she may work for a dedicated paint job company and may also work as a freelance handyman, depending on how he or she wants to be employed.
A car painter must ensure that his/her essential tasks are carried out efficiently.
Some of the essential duties that are executed by a car painter include assisting in the process of sanding, priming, and taping the car, mixing the paint, and adjusting the color if needed.
Other main tasks that form the car painter work description include filing, grinding, and sanding repaired body surfaces with the use of hand and power tools; masking and taping vehicle body surfaces in preparation for painting; mixing paint and blending and matching colors, determining where the application of paint is necessary for a thorough coat, critically examining the vehicle for runs or sags.
The car painter is also saddled with the responsibility of cleaning and ensuring the proper maintenance of the spray gun and other work equipment.
Individuals interested in becoming a car painter are required to possess and demonstrate certain skills and qualifications that are crucial for efficiency and effectiveness in this position.
Some of these skills include good physical posture and stamina since the job is physically demanding and it requires substantial standing, stooping, bending, walking, and other motions.
A car painter is also required to wear respirators, like exposure to toxic chemicals is frequent.
He/she must also possess good vision, the ability to pay attention to details, excellent organizational skills, well-developed communication, and interpersonal skills, and the ability to endure long hours of work.
In terms of academic qualifications, the ideal candidate for this position is expected to possess at least a High School diploma.
Voluntary certification available through the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence can also be important.
Some employers also demand at least one year of automotive painting experience or training.
Car Painter Salary: The average salary of a car painter is $58,413 annually.
Car Painter Job Description Example/Sample/Template
The major duties, tasks, and responsibilities that typical define the car painter job description are shown below:
- Using materials such as lacquer, resin, and so on to paint surfaces of vehicle units
- Getting rid of dirt or grease from vehicle surfaces and ensuring that the vehicle is well prepared and ready for painting
- Removing old paint with the use of liquid paint remover, scraper, or other effective techniques
- Carrying out a proper examination to see if certain parts of the vehicle need to be replaced, protected, or sanded to ensure that painting is properly done
- Ensuring that hand tools are properly maintained
- Properly maintaining paint booth by replacing filters and fan belts when necessary
- Administering the mix of colors and ensuring that they match with original color
- Applying primers and repainting surfaces with the use of spray guns
- Polishing the car by wet-sanding and buffing when the paint is dried
- Ensuring that certain portions of the vehicle are masked with tape and paper to ensure that each part of the car is painted correctly when using multiple colors.
Car Painter Job Description for Resume
If you have worked as a car painter before or are presently working in that role and are making a new resume, you will need to add the work or professional experience section to your resume.
With this section, you have the opportunity to show to the recruiter that you have some car painting work experience, which will make your resume stronger if such experience is required for the new job that you are applying for.
You can use the car painter duties and responsibilities highlighted in the sample job description above in making an effective professional experience section for your resume.
Car Painter Requirements – Abilities, Knowledge, and Skills for Car Painter Career Success
If you are seeking to work as a car painter, here are major requirements most recruiters may want you to meet to be hired:
- Physical fitness and good body posture, since the job is physically demanding and requires a lot of standing, walking, stooping, and bending, and other motions
- Familiarity with the necessary equipment and the use of safety materials such as respirators, since exposure to toxic chemicals is frequent
- The ability to endure long hours of work, as work hours is not limited
- Detail-oriented mind, since a car painter is required to pay particular attention to color mix, various components or parts of a vehicle, etc.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills, as he/she is required to interact with customers to understand their demands
- At least one year of automotive painting experience or training
- A voluntary certification such as the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence
- At least a High School diploma.
If you are a recruiter, employer, or HR manager needing to hire for a vacant car painter role in your organization, you will need to make the job description of the position available to prospective employees to help them understand the expected duties and responsibilities they will perform if employed.
You can easily and quickly make the perfect description for the car painter job in your organization by applying the job description example for the role provided above.
This post also provides useful information to individuals who are interested in the car painter career.
They will be able to learn all they need to know about the duties usually performed by car painters, and so be able to make the best decisions about pursuing a career in car painting.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.