Senior Accounting Analyst Job Description Example, Duties, Tasks, and Responsibilities
The position of a senior accounting analyst is one of the top three financial analyst posts existing in the accounting aspect of finance.
A company’s senior accounting analyst is responsible for sustaining the value of the company’s general ledger structure, capital asset systems, and outline of accounts.
The job description for this position includes duties such as: analyzing yearly reports of company’s finances, providing internal audit, and supervising general accounting journals for adherence to generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), government policies, and grant requirements.
Other responsibilities include functioning as an alliance for the auditing of yearly activities.
The senior accounting analyst’s role in an organization also includes carrying out such tasks as providing professional guidance, analysis for specified units, oversight, reporting accounting operations, as well as offering a support for other personnel by acting as a backup and giving general operational assistance.
Therefore, it is preferable that the ideal candidate for this position should have sufficient knowledge of governmental accounting as he/she will head and take active part in planning, coordinating, researching and analyzing projects.
An Example of Job Description for the Position of Senior Accounting Analyst
Here is an example of the senior accounting analyst job description in most firms.
- Offer advanced analysis and review of financial transactions for troubleshooting and correcting errors in the organization’s financial system
- Offer customer support and advise to company’s clients in areas such as proficiency evaluation, monetary system, and training and reporting
- Organize data from units; keep an update on reports, and examine statistical facts to determine errors and rectify them, and carry out review of general content
- Function with department personnel to guarantee that tracking, accounting tasks, and supervision are in strict conformity with Federal and State regulations, and established company procedures
- Evaluate internal procedures, as well as analytical statements so as to give suggestions on how to enhance information process and resource flow
- Apply the principles of GAAP to intricate accounting operations in guaranteeing regular application and adherence to organizational targets
- Evaluate, certify, and coordinate ledger entries in adherence to rules, while guaranteeing that close activities are accomplished promptly and accurately
- Periodically assemble and evaluate monetary packages, while carrying out analytical processes fashioned to identify unusual variations and making sure that errors in monetary statements are discovered and corrected
Writing a Resume for the Senior Accounting Analyst Position
Information in the job description sample shown above provides key tasks, duties, and responsibilities which can be used in making a resume for seeking a vacant senior accounting analyst’s post.
The job history section of the resume can be prepared using this information.
Requirements – Knowledge, Skills and Abilities – for the Position of Senior Accounting Analyst
The following aptitude, knowledge, and education are important requirements usually desired by employers when hiring for the senior accounting analyst position.
Therefore, individuals who are aspiring to this position should endeavor to develop these attributes.
- A graduate degree from a four year institution or college with specialization in Investment, Budgeting, Finance, or other related field, especially in the public sector
- Experience working with Windows based spreadsheet software
- Experience working with Windows based database software and Word Processing tools
- Must have the ability to independently evaluate, resolve, and assess intricate analytical issues
- Must have the ability to function with massive units of data, identify and rectify errors, interpret monetary records, and manage financial reports, following established regulations, principles and rules
- Ability to perform assigned tasks at maximum efficiency with little or no supervision, and work well with others in a team environment.