Volunteer Coordinator Job Description, Duties, and Responsibilities
What Does a Volunteer Coordinator Do?
A volunteer coordinator is responsible for providing continuous support to a team of volunteers in an organization, as well as providing supervision and direction to its organization’s volunteer program.
Volunteer coordinator job description differs from organization to organization depending on the specific needs of the organization and its level of development.
It involves matching volunteers’ expectations, skills, and experience to available positions.
Their role also entail activities such as recruitment and selection, determining the number of volunteers needed and for what tasks, creating job descriptions for the roles, planning where and how to post job adverts to attract the best volunteers, and carrying out interviews for volunteers.
The work description of volunteer coordinators also involves carrying out relevant checks, such as working with children check and police check.
The coordinator is responsible for planning for volunteer replacement and retention, as well as developing procedures and policies.
In carrying out his/her duties of providing orientation to newly recruited volunteers, the coordinator develops orientation kit, introductory programs, and handbook for successful volunteer orientation.
He/she performs evaluation for the volunteer program and manages the program for all newly hired individuals, as well as provides demonstrations on the use of office equipment and necessary tools to newly recruited volunteers.
The coordinator organizes relevant training and opportunities for education, including conducting performance evaluation or review.
He/she also carries out organizational review or skills audit, and designs effective ways of recognizing and rewarding the efforts of volunteers.
His/her duties also involve managing social functions, social media or newsletter and other volunteer communications.
He/she is responsible for supporting volunteers and ensuring they fell welcome, as well as managing and developing procedures, standards, and policies for volunteers.
The coordinator looks after volunteer database and records and is responsible for making plans for volunteer work and setting goals.
His/her role also entails making roster for tasks and organizing volunteers to complete them.
It also involves handling any associated budgets and expenditure and communicating with individuals from various backgrounds, as well as settling conflicts.
The volunteer coordinator’s job description also involves ensuring safety at the work place. They achieve this by recognizing and understanding risks and their impact, designing policies and procedures to drastically reduce or eliminate those risks.
They also implement, promote, and assess the risk policies and procedures, and maintain current and relevant Public Liability and Volunteer Personal Accident insurance policies.
Volunteer Coordinator Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Volunteer coordinators perform various functions in ensuring effective management of an organization’s volunteer program.
The typical volunteer coordinator job description in the healthcare industry commonly consists of the tasks, duties, and responsibilities highlighted in the work description example below:
- Collaborate with the Director of Hospice to work out ways of achieving overall improvement and development of volunteer program, including developing and conducting a program that will enable recruitment, training, and retention of volunteers continually
- Ensure a good number of volunteers are consistently available to provide direct care hours of at least 5%
- Set goals and objectives for the volunteer program and supervise and monitor its progress
- Carry out screening, recruitment, assessment, and disciplinary action or counselling on volunteers to ensure they attain the maximum standards their roles require, including emotional maturity, flexibility, personal integrity, sensitivity, and responsibility needs the patient in pain and their family
- Assign duties in meeting program needs to volunteers based on their skills and interest
- Conduct and supervise orientation and training sessions for volunteers
- Work with the Regional Director to revise, delete, and add volunteer forms
- Document and track relevant volunteer program records, including statistical information
- Find out volunteers’ educational needs and carry out necessary programs
- Plan annual volunteer recognition program
- Identify and record volunteer hours and create present and correct volunteer cost-savings report
- Generate written performance evaluation report in a timely manner for each volunteer annually
- Create at least two separate volunteer roles, such as clerical support and direct care
- Ensure sufficient recruitment of volunteers to be able to implement organization’s strategic plan and achieve its goals.
Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities – for Volunteer Coordinator Role
If you are applying for the role of a voluntary coordinator, the major requirements you may be expected to meet to qualify to access the position and get an interview with most organizations are shown below:
- Possession of High School Diploma or its equivalent GED
- Working experience in a relevant field, such as health care or hospice
- Possession of valid and current driver’s license
- Ability to plan and organize programs and supervise volunteer work
- Excellent communication, verbal and written, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to recruit the right individuals for the volunteer role and motivate them to give top performance
- Strong Problem-solving skills with the ability to give attention to the details
- Strong ability to effectively perform multiple tasks together, meet deadlines and documentation requirements
- Strong ability to resolve conflicts and mentor staff.
If you are looking to recruit for the position of a volunteer coordinator, you can apply the sample job description given in this post in creating one for your organization.
With a detailed description, you will improve your chances of attracting the right people to work as volunteer coordinators in your agency or organization.
You will also find this article helpful if you are interested in the career of a volunteer coordinator. You will improve your knowledge of what coordinators of volunteer programs do, and so will be able to make better decisions about the career.
Did this post help you learn more about what volunteer coordinators do? Please, leave a comment of what you think about this article in the box below. Do also share your job description if you work as a coordinator of volunteer program in your organization.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.