This post provides detailed information on the sales assistant job description, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities they commonly perform.
It also highlights the major requirements you may be expected to perform to be hired for the sales assistant role.
What Does a Sales Assistant Do?
Sales assistants generally provide administrative, clerical, and customer support services in a retail environment.
The sales assistant job description entails helping customers to choose from a variety of products; they also support sales/marketing managers to ensure smooth sales operations.
Sales assistants in fulfilling their role, supply product and pricing information to address client request.
They maintain accurate customer database by creating and updating customer profile.
They also prepare and distribute monthly reports to clients to update them on sales activities.
Sales assistants conduct investigations to identify and resolve order/inventory problems.
They forward to sales managers results of sales tracking and projection operations.
They also input invoice and bill-back data to ensure an up-to-date promotional database.
Usually, sales assistants function as store frontline agents who welcome and receive customers into a store.
They interact with customers to assess their needs and provide recommendations on suitable products that’ll best meet their requirements.
They also ensure restocking and proper merchandising of goods on display shelves.
As part of their work description, sales assistants maintain an up-to-date knowledge of product features and special sales offers so they can easily provide customers with required information.
They listen to customer complaints to address and provide solutions to their issues or problem.
They also oversee store conditions and visual merchandising to ensure they are up to acceptable standards.
Sales assistants play an active role in receiving and processing new shipments.
Their duties also include collecting cash payments and handling of credit card transactions for product purchase.
They also keep up with store promotional activities and oversee the set-up of advert boards, signposts, and other promotional materials.
Assistants compile data and develop formats/layout for the preparation of sales presentations.
They manage point-of-sale processes and deal with returned merchandise.
They also conduct research to resolve promotional allowance and pricing discrepancies.
The sales assistant job does not have set educational requirements to be hired for it, with a high school diploma and experience in sales, you can secure the job.
To succeed on this job some of the qualities you need to have include communication, organizational, and math skills.
Sales Assistant Job Description Example/Template
Sales assistants perform various customer support, administrative, and clerical functions.
Below is a job description example, comprising of major duties, tasks, and responsibilities usually carried out by assistants on sales in most retail firms:
- Monitor stock levels to facilitate restocking and replenishment of emptying shelves
- Provide customers with information on product pricing, features, and availability
- Oversee the arrangement of window displays, shelves, and counters on a store floor
- Maintain an up-to-date customer database by entering customer profile details
- Develop presentation format and compile data for the preparation of sales presentations
- Consolidate, analyze, and summarize expenses to maintain accurate record of sales expenditure
- Receive and direct the storage of new shipments and large amounts of stock
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of product features and sales promotion
- Ensure compliance with established store policies and guidelines
- Establish appropriate security measures to reduce the risk of theft or shoplifting
- Collect cash and handle credit card transactions to process payments for purchase
- Provide solutions to address and resolve client issues or challenges
- Conduct research on regular and special prices to address and resolve issues with promotional allowance and pricing discrepancies
- Ensure work area including shelves and aisles are neat and tidy
- Participate in educational programs and seminars to update job knowledge and expand personal network.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for Sales Assistant Job
If you are looking to work as a sales assistant, here are major requirements most retail outfits may expect you to satisfy to qualify for the job:
- Education and Training: The sales assistant job position does not have a minimum educational qualification; with at least a high school diploma you can get the job. Experience in sales is also necessary for the position although employers usually train assistants on appropriate customer service and administrative procedures
- Organizational Skills: Sales assistants are able to arrange and organize window displays, shelves, and general store layout
- Communication Skills: They are proficient in interacting with customers to provide useful product information and effectively conduct sales
- Math Skills: They are able to process cash and credit card payments effectively to ensure balanced accounts.
This post provides a complete job description for the sales assistant position. You may apply it in creating a work description for the role in your business for hiring capable hands and assigning tasks to them.
Individuals who are interested in working as sales assistants will also find this post useful.
They will be able to increase their knowledge about what sales assistants do, which increases their chances of succeeding on the job when hired.