Area Sales Manager Job Description Example
What Does an Area Sales Manager Do?
Area sales managers basically oversee the sales activities of a region to ensure set targets are achieved and business grows remarkably.
The area sales manager job description entails supervising sales teams to direct their operations and supporting them through the process of target realization.
In performing their duties, area sales managers oversee the development of business plans and strategies by a sales department.
They usually conduct analysis and survey of sales territories to make adjustments where necessary.
As part of their work description, area sales managers are responsible for the interviewing, hiring and training of sales staff.
They ensure employee adherence to company policies and procedures. They are also in charge of assigning sales territories and quota to sales teams and representatives.
Area sales managers develop and implement standards for productivity, customer-service and quality of service.
They carry out sales forecast to determine company financial objectives and target market for a product/service.
Their roles also involve preparing and submitting annual budgets with detailed expenditure to company executives for approval.
As part of their tasks, area sales managers visit existing and potential clients to offer products/services as well as elaborate on product features and its ability to meet client requirements.
They contact customers via calls, emails, and arranged meetings to secure sales contracts.
They also strive to build and maintain good working relationship with current and potential clients in order to create an atmosphere that fosters sales.
Area sales managers’ job description also involves monitoring the performance of sales staff and providing coaching to address employee inability.
They motivate and support sales team to achieve set goals.
They also organize conference calls/meetings during which sales activities are discussed and appropriate decisions are taken.
Part of the duties of area sales managers also includes presenting periodic reports to company directors on sales operations.
They are responsible for the analysis and interpretation of sales records and customer accounts.
They also conduct research to identify new product opportunities and trending consumer needs.
The area sales manager job typically requires a business related Bachelor’s degree, such as in economics, accounting, finance, and marketing.
Some of the qualities needed to succeed on the job include leadership skills, analytical skills and communication skills.
Area Sales Manager Job Description Example/Template
The role of the area sales manager is vital to the success of a company’s sales department.
The job description example below shows the major tasks, duties, and responsibilities most employers usually assign to area sales managers to complete:
- Oversee the development of business plans and strategies by a sales department
- Analyze and survey sales territories to make proper adjustments where necessary
- Oversee the interviewing, hiring, and training of sales staff
- Ensure sales personnel adhere to company policies, rules, and regulation
- Assign sales territories and quota to sales units and representatives
- Develop and implement standards for productivity, customer-service, and quality of service
- Conduct sales forecast to determine company financial objectives and target market for a product/service
- Prepare and submit annual budgets to company executives for approval
- Visit existing and potential clients to offer products/services and to elaborate on product features
- Contact customers via cold calls, emails, and arranged meetings to secure sales deals and contract
- Build and maintain good working relationship with clients to create an atmosphere that fosters sales
- Monitor the performance of sales employees and provide the necessary guidance to improve efficiency
- Motivate and support sales teams to achieve set goals/targets
- Organize conference calls/meetings during which sales activities are discussed and appropriate decisions taken
- Present periodic reports to company directors on sales operations
- Analyze and interpret sales records and customer accounts
- Carry out research to identify new sales opportunities.
Area Sales Manager Resume Preparation
If you are preparing a resume for the area sales manager job, you will need to have a section to highlight the work experience you’ve had in your career.
This helps to improve the effectiveness of your resume as most employers of area sales managers usually give preference to applicants with adequate experience of the job.
To help you to make your job experience section, the sample job description provided above can serve as a good source of the information you need, which is the functions of an area sales manager.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for Area Sales Manager Role
If you are gunning for the area sales manager’s job and are looking for what employers’ requirements are, the list below shows it:
- Education and Training: To become an area sales manager, you require a Bachelor’s degree in business related disciplines such as economics, management, and accounting. Some employers may require a Master’s degree. The Area sales manager job requires at least 1-5 years of experience in the field of sales usually as a sales representative
- Leadership Skill: Area sales managers are adept in managing the activities and performance of sales staff in order to achieve set goals
- Analytical Skill: Area sales managers are able to carry out analysis and interpretation of sales data
- Communication Skill: Area sales managers are well-versed in interacting with clients to offer them products/services and to address product issues.
Area Sales Manager Skills for Resume
In building an area sales manager resume, the above mentioned qualities can be useful in completing the skills section of your resume.
If you have any of them, you should ensure to highlight them in your resume.
They will make the resume more effective in convincing employers of your competence because employers already believe that applicants who have such qualities will make more successful area sales managers than those who don’t.
The area sales manager performs a leading role in the realization of a company’s sales objective in an assigned area.
Knowing the specific duties and responsibilities of an area sales manager will help you in preparing well for the career if that is what you are aspiring for.
Also, the area sales manager job description template provided above will enable you as a recruiter looking for capable hands to fill the role to design a work description that is effective in finding, recruiting, and assigning tasks to such individuals.
Did you find this post helpful in understanding the kind of work area sales managers do? Please make a comment or share your duties and responsibilities if you have worked as an area sales manager in the box below.