This post provides detailed information on the assistant accountant job description, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities they commonly perform.
It also highlights the major requirements you may be expected to perform to be hired for the assistant accountant role.
What Does an Assistant Accountant Do?
Assistant accountants basically provide administrative and clerical support to accounting managers or senior accountants.
The assistant accountant job description entails assisting managing accountants in the preparation of financial statements, budgets, VAT returns, and invoices in order to maintain the finances of an organization.
Assistant accountants in performing their duties oversee the preparation of accounts payable, accounts receivable, bills, and other financial documents.
They utilize specialized accounting tools and software such as QuickBooks to input and manage financial data.
They also support the finance department by performing various tasks among which include verification of financial statements and accounts.
Assistants liaise with finance and accounting staff members to complete different accounting projects.
They monitor office expenditure to ensure they are within set budget.
They also verify account balances to rectify inconsistencies in financial records.
Usually, assistant accountants prepare invoices for company clients and customers.
They carry out bank reconciliation, receipt posting and balancing.
They also assist accounting managers in the preparation of annual budget for an organization.
As part of their responsibilities, assistant accountants oversee the processing of payments to ensure they are accurate and made within given time frame.
They prepare and maintain detailed profit and loss accounts sheet in order to determine the return on investment.
They also prepare and present to senior accountants regular reports of financial activities.
The role of assistant accountants also involves resolving problems with purchase order; they contact external service providers to address issues with billing and charges.
They assist accountants in performing external and internal audits to evaluate the finances of an organization.
They also compile data for quarterly VAT returns.
Assistant accountants in fulfilling their work description may also perform administrative tasks, such as taking minutes of meetings, handling phone calls, and responding to emails.
The assistant accountant job requires at least a high school diploma as an entry level accounting position.
Further education is required for advanced accounting positions. Qualities needed to succeed on the job include analytical, interpersonal, and bookkeeping skills.
Assistant Accountant Job Description Example/Template
If you need to know the major duties, tasks, and responsibilities that usually make up the job description of assistant accountants, the following shows it all:
- Ensure appropriate accounting policies are applied during the preparation of yearly budgets
- Supervise daily operations within the scope of accounts receivable and accounts payable
- Authorize and oversee the processing of pre-requisition order within set standards
- Collaborate with accounts and finance manager to ensure smooth running of an organization’s accounts department
- Assist accounting managers in the preparation of annual budgets and income-expenditure patterns
- Oversee the collection, deposit, and reconciliation of bank funds and accounts
- Ensure timely preparation and submission of VAT and other tax returns
- Provide customer support services and assist in the resolution of client complaints or problems
- Maintain useful financial information regarding projected outturns and budget variances
- Ensure compliance with statutory accounting standards and audit practices
- Conduct monthly management checks and regular housekeeping activities in order to maintain an efficient financial system
- Prepare and present regular accounting reports to the management accountant to update them on company financial progress
- Ensure accruals and prepayment concepts are applied to processed transactions
- Process payments and financial documents such as invoices, statements, and vouchers.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for Assistant Accountant Job
To be hired for the role of assistant accountant in most firms, the following are major requirements you may be expected to possess to be considered for an interview:
- Education and Training: To become an entry level assistant accountant, you require a high school diploma and a few years of experience as a bookkeeper. Higher levels of accounting assistance on the other hand require an Associate’s degree and up to 4 years of experience in an accounting field
- Analytical Skills: Assistant accountants are able to conduct audits to identify and resolve discrepancies in financial documents
- Interpersonal Skills: They are adept at working with accounting managers and a team of finance professionals to achieve a common objective
- Bookkeeping Skills: They are skilled in preparing and maintaining accurate accounts documents.
The job description sample provided in this post can be applied in designing a work description that completely captures what assistant accountants do.
Therefore, if you are an employer needing to hire for the role in your company, you may use the sample job description shown above as a template in making one for the position to attract and recruit the best hands for the job.
Job seekers looking to work as assistant accountants will also find the information in this post useful.
They will be able to learn more about what the role involves, including the skills they need to succeed on the job.
Having such knowledge makes it easier to succeed in the career when they eventually get into it.