This post presents exhaustive information on the job description of a management consultant, to help you learn the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that they perform.
It also highlights the major requirements commonly asked by recruiters/employers for candidates to meet to be hired for the management consultant role, as well as the salary to expect to be paid working as a management consultant.
What Does a Management Consultant Do?
The management consultant is in charge of managing and administering business units. He/she is responsible for the outputs of various departments like accounting, human resource, sales etc.
The management consultant job description entails carrying out the implementation of business strategies and plans.
It also involves ensuring that things are done right. For example, administrative or clerical tasks, or wait staff, are considered as part of the responsibility of the management consultant.
They have a duty to develop and recommend policies that will promote efficient use of resources.
The management consultant is responsible for facilitating communication within the company and helping in promoting cooperation among the departments.
They make sure that all activities are well-coordinated, and that every person involved is informed about all relevant decisions, and about the progress of their activities.
Another important task of the management consultant includes training of employees and developing their skills.
He/she plans and organizes the training procedure, and develops the programs to achieve set goals.
As a management consultant, you are in charge of keeping the records and reports of the company.
The management consultant has a duty to supervise both internal and external auditors.
In addition, they report on their findings to the Board of Directors or Company President, who will be responsible for taking necessary actions to avoid similar incidents in the future.
A management consultant is in charge of economic and managerial controls and for training and development of their colleagues.
They review the policies and procedures to improve their impact on work performed by the employees, including all levels of management, such as executives, managers, supervisors, specialists and workers.
They also ensure that the company maintains effective safety procedures to avoid injuries in the workplace.
They have a duty to control employee behavior that may cause harm or damage to others or interfere with productiveness or effectiveness of work procedures, as well as rules governing conduct are observed.
They evaluate the effectiveness of procedures and suggest improvements to reduce wasteful spending.
The management consultant is responsible for securing the company’s financial position by managing, investing, and safeguarding its assets.
They monitor supply parts and other materials to ensure that they will be available when needed in line with business requirements.
As a management consultant, you are to monitor market trends, and recommend any changes in strategies in order to increase profits, improve productivity, and minimize risks associated with products or operations offered by your company.
The management consultant has a duty to formulate marketing strategies and implement them through advertising, sales promotions, etc.
Management Consultant Job Description Sample/Example/Template
The management consultant job description consists of the following tasks, duties, and responsibilities:
- Help the company to achieve its corporate goals and objectives by providing advice, support, and information necessary for achievement of these goals
- Collecting, reviewing, or organizing data necessary for decision making in light of current circumstances or future trends
- Recommending actions based on analysis of existing conditions or possible changes in the environment
- Managing organizational processes and improving efficiency with respect to resource utilization, including recruiting, hiring, and training of manpower, as well as materials handling systems
- Planning, organizing, and supervising work assignments and work schedules, and creating job descriptions
- Designing or adapting business systems or procedures
- Ensuring that appropriate regulations and codes are followed by responsible parties, including the company’s employees. Manage programs for housing and office facilities of the company
- Preparing budgets by evaluating sales forecasts, needs for new equipment and services, salaries of employees, etc.
- Determining product features in line with market requirements
- Organizing annual budgets to fulfill the plans for sales forecasts in line with market trends
- Managing shareholder relations: maintaining effective liaison between interests of shareholders involved in decision-making process at different levels (shareholders’ meeting, board meetings).
Management Consultant Job Description for Resume
If you have worked before as a management consultant or are currently working in that role and are making a resume/CV for a new position, you can create a very impactful Professional Experience section for your resume by applying the management consultant job description example provided above.
You can highlight the management consultant duties and responsibilities from the sample job description above in your resume’s Professional Experience, to emphasize the fact that you have been effective performing the management consultant job.
This piece of information in your resume can greatly help in getting the recruiter/employer to invite you to an interview and give you the job, especially if the new position that you are applying for requires candidates to have some work experience as a management consultant to be hired.
Management Consultant Requirements: Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
If you are seeking the management consultant job, here are major requirements that you may be expected to fulfill to be hired:
- At least a Bachelor’s degree in Business, Engineering or Science
- Several years of experience in the field of Management Consulting
- Excellent analytical skills; strong communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to demonstrate good leadership qualities, as well as being well-structured and independent
- Excellent time management skills and ability to work in a team environment, as well as independently
- Ability to enjoy working with people while being an effective communicator
- Good conflict resolution skills and ability to listen to the concerns of others without always giving own opinion.
Management Consultant Salary
According to Glassdoor, the national average salary for a management consultant in the United States is $103,853 per year.
Management consultants are very important in any business. They help to understand the needs of their clients, which they express in form of a strategic plan.
This way, these plans can help businesses and companies to develop their life cycle and strategies while securing profitable, efficient, and effective growth.
This post is helpful to individuals interested in the management consultant career, to learn all they need to know about what the role does.
It is also useful to recruiters/employers needing to make a detailed job description for use in hiring for the vacant management consultant role in their companies.
They can apply the sample management consultant job description provided on this page.