This post provides detailed information on the housekeeper job description, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that they commonly perform.
It also highlights the major requirements candidates may be asked to meet to be hired for the housekeeper role, as well as the expected salary for the position.
What Does a Housekeeper Do?
The housekeeper job description involves cleaning guest rooms, meeting rooms, and common areas.
He/she works under the direction of the hotel’s management and staff.
The housekeeper is expected to clean such areas as guest bathrooms and toilets, windows, furniture, and floors in guest rooms and public areas.
The housekeeper job description entails making beds in the morning, changing linens, vacuuming carpets or rugs, emptying wastebaskets, and disposing trash properly when cleaning private rooms.
It also involves collecting room service trays brought up by room service staff or other hotel staff.
The housekeeper makes sure that all supplies are present in each room prior to arrival of guests.
They prepare rooms for washing, cleaning, and other required services, such as check-in and check-out.
The role also entails cleaning linen on a daily basis, including removing stains and treating them in the laundry if needed.
It also involves inspecting linens for cleanliness day after day.
The housekeeper duties involve making sure that each room has fresh bedding on arrival of guests and removing all beds at night.
It also entails making beds during the night if there is no one in the room.
They are also responsible for making the beds, changing linens, cleaning toilet bowl, and disposing trash properly if there is a guest in the room.
When all rooms are cleaned, housekeepers put everything back in place.
It is the duty of the housekeeper to make sure that hotel rooms are disinfected as per the instructions of health department for every single room on a daily basis.
The housekeeper takes care of incoming and outgoing guests needs and assists staff at such events as annual meeting, board meetings or Christmas party.
He/she ensures the implementation of cleaning policies and protocols that relate to his/her area of responsibility.
More on Housekeeper Job Description
They also take care of the housekeeping of other areas within the hotel like lobbies, restaurant, conference rooms, etc.
Their role also involves taking care of all housekeeping related activities and instructions received from the hotel management and staff.
The housekeeper maintains professionalism and keeps a safe working environment within his/her area of responsibility.
It is expected that the housekeeper is able to carry out all tasks in a professional manner and maintain a safe working environment at all times under difficult conditions.
A housekeeper works with other team members for the greater benefit of the hotel, and follows policies and procedures set by the hotel management and staff.
Housekeeper Job Description Sample/Example/Template
The job description of a housekeeper entails the following duties, tasks, and responsibilities:
- Washing linen
- Disinfecting linen and floors
- Cleaning toilet bowls and sinks
- Ensure guest rooms and common areas in hotels like lobbies, restaurants, conference rooms (if available) etc. are cleaned
- Collecting trash from hotel floors and managing wastebaskets appropriately
- Cleaning windows in guest rooms if there are no screens inside the room
- Making beds every morning and changing linens daily if guests have not stayed in the room overnight
- Vacuuming carpets and rugs in guest rooms
- Disposing of trash properly in hotels
- Always being mannerly, professional and tactful when dealing with guests who need help
- Collecting room service trays from the hotel staff or management
- Making beds during the night when all rooms are empty
- Ushering guests to their rooms if needed
- Ensuring that there is no dirt on floors or other areas where guests walk on
- Making sure that hotel vehicles are clean during duty hours
- Cleaning up at all housekeeping related functions and assisting higher level supervisor with all housekeeping related tasks.
Housekeeper Job Description for Resume
If you are making a new resume or CV as someone who has worked before as a housekeeper or are presently working in that position, you can make a powerful Professional Experience section for your resume by applying the housekeeper job description sample above.
You can apply the housekeeper duties and responsibilities from the above job description sample in your resume’s Professional Experience, to show that you have been effective performing the housekeeper job.
This piece of information in your resume can greatly influence the recruiter/employer to give you the job, especially if the new job that you are seeking requires the housekeeper work experience.
Housekeeper Requirements: Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge for Career Success
If you are applying for the housekeeper role, here are major requirements you may be asked to meet to be hired:
- Excellent communication and people skills
- Problem solving skills
- Ability to work as part of a team or individually taking instructions from superiors and managers on a daily basis while maintaining an independent work ethic
- Effective reading ability to understand instructions given by supervisors and management
- Ability to follow directions including detailed instructions when necessary
- Education in hotel or hospitality related studies or diploma in this field is preferred but not required for this job position
- Training on becoming responsible for organizing the housekeeping department within the hotel if there is such need
- Excellent organizational skills
- Attention to detail, accuracy, and reliability
- Ability to work under stress and difficult conditions
- A housekeeper must be able to read and understand detailed instructions given by his/her bosses. This includes requirements for cleaning the floors, making beds in the housekeeping rooms, keeping areas clean with different tools, etc.
- He/she should be self-sufficient when it comes to managing all types of cleaning tools and equipment used within the hotel
- Must also have knowledge of all housekeeping policies that relate to his/her area of responsibility such as hygiene standards, food service standards, housekeeping related rules etc.
According to salary.com, the average housekeeper salary in the United States is $27,271 as of March, 2022, but the range typically falls between $24,740 and $30,807.
Housekeeper is a general term used to describe the person who takes care of all the cleaning of guest rooms, bathrooms, kitchens, dining areas, and other facilities within the hotel.
This post is useful to individuals interested in the housekeeping career, to boost their knowledge of the duties and responsibilities associated with the role.
It is also helpful to recruiters/employers who are looking to create a detailed job description for use in hiring competent individuals for the vacant housekeeper role in their companies.
They can apply the housekeeper job description example provided above in making one for their companies.