Macy’s Retail Sales Associate Job Description, Duties, and Responsibilities
What Does a Macy’s Retail Sales Associate Do?
A retail sales associate at Macy’s has the responsibility to ensure outstanding service to customers. His/her job description entails meeting hourly sales goals, as well as the company’s Star Rewards goal both on a departmental and personal basis.
The sales associate is expected to demonstrate deep knowledge of products to customers to be able to give them a great shopping experience that will make them want to come back, as well as reduce incidences of product return.
He/she will ensure customers are received in a warm and friendly way within 30 seconds of their entry into the store.
His/her role also entails determining the needs of customers from looking at their personal features as well as other factors relating to their preference.
It also involves handling all customer returns in a courteous and professional manner.
Macy’s retail sales associates are expected to give suggestions to customers on additional merchandise that can very well compliment their purchases.
In the event that merchandise is not available within the store, the sales associate will put a call to stores in other locations to source the items.
He/she will also offer to put customers’ purchases in their Macy’s charge account when they are rounding off their shopping experience.
The work description of sales associates at Macy’s retail stores involves helping the customer to make the best selection of products to purchase and packaging them safely with care.
It also involves thanking customers by name (if their names are known) for making purchases and inviting them to come back again.
The sales associate must display Macy’s commitment to providing exceptional service to its customers by maintaining enthusiasm, sincerity, and professional attitude whenever they come in contact with customers.
By Macy’s operational policy, customers are the most important persons in the store and so should be treated with exceptional care.
The sales associate must have strong knowledge of Point of Sales (POS) procedures and other sales support functions, and to perform them excellently.
He/she should develop strong knowledge of products in the store by attending training classes, reading updated vendor pamphlets and tags so that he/she can effectively inform and guide customers on any item they wish to buy.
The sales associate duties at Macy’s also include maintaining excellent housekeeping standards; maintaining current knowledge of sales and promotional events and passing the information to customers for them to benefit from it; and complying with Macy’s inventory control and Loss Prevention procedures.
Macy’s Retail Sales Associate Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Retail sales associates working at Macy’s stores perform various functions in ensuring that customers get the best of service when they visit the store.
If you are looking for the kind of duties, tasks, and responsibilities commonly performed by individuals who work as sales associates at Macy’s stores, the following job description example highlights them:
- Meet with customers as they enter the store, ask questions about their shopping needs (listen attentively to their response), then provide advice and suggestions based on product knowledge for the shopper to meet their needs
- Inspire the customer to make purchase; celebrate or be excited about the purchase; and make an enduring positive impression in the minds of customer of Macy’s, you, the purchase, and you
- Keep fitting rooms always ready for customers by ensuring merchandise are cleared from it swiftly and returned to the appropriate area of the selling floor
- Ensure selling floor presentations are maintained and quickly restock them when necessary
- Ensure to learn Macy’s procedures and systems so as to improve selling performance and be effective in carrying out support duties
- Perform all product return duties with utmost professionalism and courteousness
- Achieve Star Reward goals and personal sales goals
- Ensure utmost professionalism, sincerity, and enthusiasm in carrying out all tasks and responsibilities in line with Macy’s commitment to outstanding customer service
- Carry out sales support functions involving POS procedures
- Improve knowledge of products at the store by read updated vendor tags and pamphlets and taking part in relevant training courses
- Be updated about promotional sales and events at the store
- Ensure excellent housekeeping standards are maintained
- Ensure compliance, inventory control, and Loss Prevention procedures are maintained
- Carry out other functions as may be assigned.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for Macy’s Retail Sales Associate Role
To be sure of getting the right candidates for the sales associate job at Macy’s retail stores, certain skills, abilities, knowledge, educational qualifications, and experience are commonly required from interested individuals for the role.
Shown below are typical requirements you may have to meet to be qualified to access the sales associate position at Macy’s if you are applying for it:
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to write, read, and interpret safety rules, procedural manual, maintenance and operating instructions, and other instructional documents; strong interpersonal and communication skills to effectively interact with management, customers, and colleagues; exceptional ability to apply proper etiquette when communicating on the telephone
- Ability to perform simple mathematical functions, including subtraction, addition, division, and multiplication; ability to apply a calculator to compute ratios and percentages; ability to make changes in American monetary units to customers
- Strong ability to be flexible in performing functions and to carry out multiple tasks simultaneously while remaining attentive to customers
- Strong ability to take initiative by self without direct supervision and to work effectively and efficiently within a team
- Possess friendly demeanor, energy, and enthusiasm for providing outstanding service
- Strong ability to meet the physical demands of the job, including moving, grabbing, hearing, talking, standing, and reaching for two consecutive hours or more.
If you are looking to start a career at Macy’s as a retail sales associate, the sample job description and information in this post will help you understand what the job entails and the requirements you have to meet to be hired.
You will be well informed about the career and will be able to decide if it is the right one for you or not.
Did this post help you to learn what sales associates at Macy’s do? Please, share your thoughts about this article in the box below. Do also share your job description if you work as a sales associate at any of Macy’s stores.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.