IT Help Desk Support Job Description, Duties, and Responsibilities
What Does an IT Help Desk Support Technician Do?
The IT help desk support technician is responsible for providing IT support services to businesses and/or their customers either from an on-site location or the office.
His/her job description entails resolving daily support requests and helping in completing larger IT projects.
It also involves providing Level 2 ticket resolution for certain users, and help desk troubleshooting assistance, as well as providing support and resolution to all software and hardware issues concerning laptop/desktop computers, mobile devices/phones, and peripherals/printers.
In performing their duties, the help desk support must demonstrate composure and professionalism in person and/or on the phone.
His/her role entails providing excellent service to customers by promptly evaluating, prioritizing, and responding to their requests.
It is also his/her responsibility to provide Level 1 Support service for Business Systems Diagnose and Legacy Email, as well as ensure Level 2 and 3 tickets are resolved and documented in an accurate and timely manner.
The IT help desk support technician work description also entails timely and correct troubleshooting and escalation of problem spots, and offering end-user assistance and training where necessary.
It also involves assembling peripherals and accessories and installing the right operating systems required.
His/her tasks may also include addition, removal, and preservation of accounts of users on all servers, including changing of password, resetting of accounts, and removal of accounts of employees whose jobs have been terminated.
If necessary, the help desk support ensures user level assistance for issues concerning the company’s Citrix Environment, and also ensure that all lab environments and server room are kept in an organized manner.
He/she may be required to participate in acquisitions and projects, as well as in ad hoc duties.
He/she performs computer, software, and network troubleshooting to identify and diagnose usual problems.
The technician commonly works with senior network engineers to ensure networks run optimally.
IT Help Desk Support Technician Job Description Example/Sample/Template
The IT help desk support technician performs various functions in resolving issues concerning software and hardware operation for an organization or/and its customers.
The typical duties, tasks, and responsibilities performed by IT help desk support staff are shown in the job description sample below:
- Offer Level 2 customer-centered technical support for company’s desktop computing environment and corporate network, including supported hardware, Microsoft Office/Outlook and other business applications, and peripheral devices
- Ensure immediate and total restoration of services for all systems and services by promptly responding to users’ requests (including remote users) when they have an IT related problem – proactively recognize the problem and implement needed solutions
- Provide support and maintenance for in-house computer systems, including carrying out diagnosis, upgrade, repairs, maintenance, and installation of all equipment and hardware devices, as well as ensuring top performance of workstation
- Troubleshoot remote users’ issues by applying remote monitoring and management software
- Provide solution to software, hardware, and system problems by researching problems and questions, diagnosing, troubleshooting, and applying available information and resources
- Solve problems that do not have documentation by walking customers through established processes for solving problems over the phone or/and in person and utilize critical reasoning in solving the problem
- Remain in touch with a customer until their issues are totally resolved or/and request is completed
- Ensure targets are achieved in accordance with tight key performance indicators by identifying and escalating issues that need immediate attention
- Carry out root cause analysis and create new resolutions to problems that occur frequently
- Identify and correct a problem by performing diagnostic reviews and developing error reports as requested
- Develop and maintain documentation for technology and business processes for end user support
- Work with technical teams and end users to execute and maintain systems that apply industry best practices in achieving business objectives, while ensuring the integrity and security of the data, network, and system
- Carry out documentation of resolutions of all Level 2 and 3 incidents so as to be sure correct and detailed descriptions are imputed into the ticketing system
- Frequently check the ticketing system for incoming service desk requests; vet requests thoroughly, then evaluate and route them
- Responsible for opening and closing service requests; manage classification of requests; assigning and tracking of requests, and completion of requests
- Offer outstanding customer support and excellent communication in accordance with all Service Desk procedures and policies by identifying and working with all remote users, corporate network users, as well as with other Service Areas
- Ensure a positive support experience for customers; develop a good relationship and trust with company corporate users by exhibiting professional attitude and a welcoming approach to understanding customers’ problems
- Carry out software upgrade for presently installed software when necessary and with authorization, or request for new software
- Perform upgrade for desktops/laptops, tablets, mobile phones, and any other devices; obtain authorization for new hardware
- Perform software imaging fulfilment and Desktop/Laptop hardware builds for projects and acquisitions
- Perform administrative duties, including scheduling of equipment or laptop loaners, or any other services/items for company users; organize shipment to remote sites if required
- Carry out proper tracking of service requests and ensure resolutions to problems are documented in the ticketing system.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for IT Help Desk Support Technician Role
Employers usually require certain qualities, skills, and experience when hiring for the role of IT support technician. This helps them to find the best people for the job.
If you are seeking the job of a help desk support technician in an IT environment, here are common requirements and qualifications to expect from most employers to be eligible for the position:
- Work experience in an IT environment supporting desktops, laptops, peripherals, and printers, or possession of Associate’s degree or/and continuing education program
- Work experience in a service/help desk setting
- Proficient applying tablet, desktop, Server Operating Systems, and all Microsoft applications
- Possession of advanced knowledge of Wireless technologies and LAN
- Experience working with Windows Easy Transfer and My Cloud Remote Access
- Possession of advanced knowledge of all Laptop hardware and Desktop types
- Strong knowledge of Active Directory and various technical support concepts, procedures, and practices
- Exceptional customer communication and interaction skills
- Strong ability to work effectively with various levels of an organization
- Strong ability to effectively manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Strong ability to work under pressure and deliver top performance
- Strong listening skill to fully understand what an end user’s needs and/or requests are
- Exceptional ability to work optimally in a fast-paced environment.
If you are an employer needing a job description for the position of IT help desk support technician for use in creating one for your company, you can apply the example provided above.
With our sample IT support technician work description, you will be able to make a comprehensive and well suited description of the role in your organization, which can highly increase your chances of attracting the best individuals for the position.
Also, this post will help you understand what help desk support professionals in the IT industry do if you are interested in the career.
The knowledge you gain from knowing the duties and responsibilities of IT support technicians will enable you to prepare well for the career.
Did you find this post useful in learning about what IT help desk support do? Please, leave a comment about your view of this article in the box below. And if you work in the IT industry as a help desk support person, do also share your job description.