Computer Repair Technician Job Description, Duties, and Responsibilities
What Does a Computer Repair Technician Do?
Computer repair technicians are responsible for providing technical hardware and software support to organizations and individuals. Their job description cuts across installing, analyzing, repairing, and maintaining various types of computer equipment.
Computer technicians are responsible for maintaining organizations’ computers and providing in-service training to members of their staff.
Their role entails troubleshooting technical problems, providing technical support for software and applications usage, coordinating service and maintenance with both internal and external customers; installation of new software and hardware, and maintenance of organization’s inventory of equipment.
It may also involve working on networks or servers, which is an area that has seen many computer technicians specializing in.
Repair technician’s work involves diagnosing malfunctioning computer software or hardware, identifying the problem, and then applying the right procedures in fixing it. His/her work is done when the device is restored to a useable state.
It may also involve building and assembling personal computers and servers, including setting up local area networks of computers and other similar devices.
Even though the duties of computer repair technicians mainly involve computer hardware, they may also be required sometimes to perform certain software tasks, such as replacement or installation of cards, memory, and drives.
They are also called upon when a computer is attacked by viruses or other malwares and its operating system is affected causing it to work abnormally.
The computer technician will try to remove the offending programs, but where it is not possible for him/her to repair the operating system; the technician will copy out valuable files from the hard disk and save in another device.
Then he/she will reformat the hard disk, re-install the operating system with a new one, and load back the saved files to the computer.
Depending on the company they work for, the computer repair technician’s work description may include building a complete system from component parts; installing the operating system on the hard disk; and installing the necessary programs for effective utilization of the computer.
Computer Repair Technician Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Computer repair technicians perform various functions in ensuring that computer equipment work optimally.
In most industries, a computer repair technician’s job description entails the following tasks, duties, and responsibilities:
- Perform installation and configuration of peripherals, microcomputer workstations, LAN/WAN components, and printers
- Diagnose equipment failures and/or printer problems; perform required repairs; replace bad components in field if a suitable spare is available, or bring them back to shop for repair; reinstall repaired equipment; install loaner equipment
- Investigate LAN/WAN failures, carry out repair on equipment or completely replace it if necessary
- Carry out preventive maintenance tasks on microcomputer, all types of printers, and peripherals
- Keep correct record of asset management tracking, inventory control, work completed, and work in progress
- Keep documentation of parts inventory, order for parts, and supplies delivered
- Provide assistance to other company personnel as may be needed to enable them complete their assigned duties
- Perform other tasks that may be assigned.
Requirements – Abilities, Knowledge, and Skills – for Computer Repair Technician Role
To be considered for hiring for the role of computer repair technician, most companies and organizations will require you to have certain qualities, skills, knowledge, and qualifications.
Below are major requirements you may need to meet to be eligible to work as a computer technician:
- Have completed High School education with a Diploma or possess GED
- Possess valid driver’s license
- Completion of one year technical or trade school in computer technology or electronics or equivalent work experience
- Strong knowledge of IBM and MacIntosh workstations, associated peripherals, and fundamental operating principles
- Strong working knowledge of LAN/WAN components, application, essential operating principles, as well as knowledge of network printing
- Possess relevant professional certifications for repairs of varieties of peripherals, microcomputers, LAN/WAN components, as well as low-voltage cabling such as IBM, Apple, Hewlett Packard, MacIntosh, Epson, and Dell
- Strong ability to collaborate effectively with other professionals in a cooperative team environment, sharing responsibilities and workload
- Excellent communication skill (both verbal and written) to be able to relate effectively with all levels of personnel in the organization
- Ability to provide excellent customer service by relating with customers in a professional and courteous manner
- Must be physically fit and be able to lift weight of up to 65 pounds to chest height.
The computer repair technician job description sample and information provided in this post will be useful to employers looking to hire for the position.
They can create effective description for the computer technician role in their company or organization for use in the hiring process.
A good job description can help you to effectively screen applicants for the position and ensure that only those that have what is required to succeed as a computer repair technician in your organization apply for the job.
This post is equally helpful to individuals interested in becoming a computer technician, as it increases their knowledge of what the position entails. This helps them to prepare for the career.
Did this post improve your knowledge and understanding of what computer repair technicians do? Please, share your thought of this article in the box below. And if you work as a computer technician in your organization, do also share your job description.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.