This post provides detailed information on the IT help desk support job description, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities they commonly perform.
It also highlights the major requirements you may be expected to meet to be hired for the IT help desk support role by most recruiters/employers.
What Does an IT Help Desk Support Do?
IT help desk support staff helps end users, employees, and companies, efficiently use IT hardware and software and address issues or challenges that may arise from using them.
They work with hardware and software companies to provide technical assistance to external users of their products as well as within a wide variety of industries where technology is used.
Their job description primarily entails providing users with all hardware and software technical support.
It also involves identifying, researching, and resolving computer problems.
The IT help desk support staff installs, configures, and tests, maintains, monitors, and troubleshoots end-user workstations and related hardware and software in order to deliver required desktop service levels.
They are responsible for assessing the need for system upgrades and implementing performance upgrades to Mac and PC boxes, including the installation of CPUs I/O and NIC cards, hard disks, ribbon cables, hard drives, RAM, memory chips, CD-ROMs, etc.
They also work collaboratively with LAN technicians/network administrators to ensure efficient operation of the company’s desktop computing environment; and liaise with third-party support and PC equipment vendors where necessary.
Their work description also involves configuring new computers; providing support for printers and scanning devices, and restoring back up files.
It also entails ensuring cyber security through monitoring mobile device management systems; managing security policies and password settings; monitoring anti-virus applications and iOS updates, resetting passwords and modifying Office 365 email accounts, as well as tagging users and loading apps.
IT help desk support specialists render support to instructors and facilitators, providing them with teaching equipment; ensure to set up AV equipment for instructors before webinars, and maintain AV equipment in training conference rooms.
They are responsible for scheduling webinars, creating invites and polls.
They offer onsite technical support for program deliverables on special client projects; performing onsite analysis, diagnosis, and resolution of complex desktop problems for end users; and recommending and implementing corrective solutions as needed such as offsite repair for remote users.
They also help transfer and compresses video files when necessary.
Their role also includes accurately documenting instances of desktop equipment or component failure, repairing, installing, and removing, as well as documenting and updating all assigned trouble tickets.
To work in an IT help desk support position requires technical skills and advance computer skills.
Individuals for this role must also possess analytical skills and active listening skills to decipher user issues that will help in troubleshooting, as well as the ability to multi-task and prioritize duties.
They also require strong customer service and communication skills to be successfully on the job.
IT Help Desk Support Job Description Example/Sample/Template
The IT help desk support staff performs various functions, including providing technical assistance and support related to computer systems, hardware, or software to clients, end users, and the organization they work.
They are required to responds to queries, run diagnostic programs, isolates problem, and determine and implement solution.
The role of the help desk support staff in an IT environment might vary slightly depending on the sector they work in.
Shown below are major tasks, duties, and responsibilities that typically make up the job descriptions of IT help desk support personnel in most companies:
- Troubleshoots client login issues to determine and resolve reported problems
- Troubleshoots telephone and VOIP issues to resolve them
- Contacts customer support and maintains eFax system where applicable
- Tracks warranties and inventory
- Responds to telephone calls, e- mail, and personal requests for technical support related to computer systems, software and hardware
- Documents, tracks, and examine problems to ensure timely solutions
- Interacts with network services
- Troubleshooting and diagnosing system errors and other issues problems related to computer systems, software, and hardware
- Ensures to submit Monthly Status Reports (MSRs)
- Writes how-to-guides, editing, and revising it with updated information when necessary
- Provides technical assistance for questions and problems
- Follows through with customers to ensure full resolution of issues
- Administers cloud services, including Google Apps, Okta, Office365, etc.
- Responsible for maintaining a fluid and well-organized inventory and storage system for all IT hardware
- Assists in training computer users
- Maintains daily optimal performance of computer systems
- Asks relevant questions to determine nature of problem
- Installs, modifies, and repairs computer hardware and software; and installs peripherals for users
- Addresses technical problems with Local Area Networks (LAN), Wide Area Networks (WAN), and other systems to resolve network connectivity issues
- Gets feedback from customers concerning their experience using the company’s computer or other products.
IT Help Desk Support Requirements – skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
When hiring for the IT help desk support position, recruiters generally give a list of requirements that applicants for the position must meet to show that they can perform the obligations, objectives, and purpose of the position at the organization.
If you are seeking the IT help desk support role at a company, here are major requirements you may be asked to fulfill to be considered for the position:
- Education: At least an Associate Degree in related discipline and 3 yrs experience is required, or High School Diploma and 5 years experience with relevant certification, including CompTIA Security+. However, few organizations accept only requisite technical skill plus a combination of certification and experience; i.e. CompTIA A+, Network+, MCSA Windows 10 certifications (preferred) and 1-5 years of proven experience as a help desk technician or other customer support role related to the work
- Clearances: TS/SCI with Counter Intelligence (CI) Poly may be required
- Abilities: They require the ability to follow complex and unique processes and adapt to change rapidly
- Analytical skills: This refers to the analytical thought needed to resolve issues in a variety of complex situations, and it is critical that they possess it. They require the ability to diagnose and resolve basic technical issues
- Organizational skills: This skill is essential for them to manage several issues and follow-ups simultaneously. It is a key factor that they possess the ability to manage multiple issues in fast-paced and deadline driven environment
- Communication skills: IT help desk support specialists require both strong verbal and written communication to perform their job descriptions successfully. It is essential for documentation and communicating with clients, vendors, and significant others
- Knowledge: They are required to possess a working knowledge of office automation products, databases and remote control, and a good understanding of computer systems, mobile devices and other tech products. It is also requires that they possess a working knowledge of WAN and LAN to address network connectivity issues
- They must also possess adept knowledge of the following: Trouble Ticketing Systems, Monitoring Tools, Network Protocols, LAN/WAN knowledge, TCP/IP, Internet/Browsers, Spreadsheets – Excel, Access, MS Exchange, Word, Outlook, and Project.
If you are an employer needing to recruit for an IT help desk support position in your organization, you can apply the job description sample provided in this post to make a detailed description of the position, which can help you attract the best candidates for the job.
This article is also useful to individuals looking to get into the IT help desk support career to increase their knowledge of what the role entails and what skills, abilities, experience, etc. to have to be successful in the career.