This post provides complete information on the customer care representative job description, to help you learn the work they do.
It presents the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that typically make up the customer care representative work description.
It also highlights the major requirements individuals seeking the customer care representative role may be expected to meet to be hired.
Please, continue reading to increase your knowledge of the customer care representative career:
What Does a Customer Care Representative Do?
A customer care representative is responsible for helping customers with complaints and questions, giving customers information about products and services, taking orders, and processing returns.
By helping their customers have a better knowledge of the product they are interested in and answering questions about their reservations or issues, they are sometimes seen as having a role in sales.
The customer care representative job description entails carrying out an array of functions which may include supporting customers by providing helpful information, responding to complaints, and answering questions.
Customer care representatives are the front-line of support for clients and customers and they help to ascertain that customers are satisfied with services, products, and features.
In other words, a customer care representative refers to one whose profession is to walk customers through basic troubleshooting or setup processes, answering phone calls and emails while responding to customer questions and complaints.
The customer care representative is expected to maintain an empathetic, positive, and professional attitude towards customers at all times to improve customer satisfaction and feedback regarding specific products or services.
Another function of a customer care representative is the handling of front-facing duties, which include interacting with customers in person, over the phone, and/or via email and social media with the ultimate view of maintaining a high level of professionalism and presenting the organization in the best possible light.
He/she is also saddled with the responsibility of working closely with the management team to stay updated on certain product knowledge and be adequately informed of any minor or major changes in company policies.
A customer care representative is also expected to help build strong and sustainable relationships based on trust with customer accounts through interactive and open communication.
Additionally, a customer care representative is tasked with the role of resolving or finding solutions to product/service problems by identifying and clarifying the customer’s complaint, determining the cause or root of the problem, accelerating adjustment or correction, and lastly, following up to ensure resolution.
To work as a customer care representative, individuals are expected to possess certain skills and qualities such as computer skills, problem-solving skills, and organizational skills; negotiation skills, multitasking skills, and listening skills.
Others are adaptability, attention to detail, and conflict resolution skills; positive attitude, patience, and phone skills, and documentation skills.
Also, to become a customer care representative, individuals are expected to have completed at least a High School Diploma program or GED; a college degree is not necessarily required.
Some employers/recruiters usually require candidates for the customer care representative job to have acquired several years of professional and/or proven work experience as a customer care representative or support before they are hired.
Customer Care Representative Salary: The average salary for a customer care representative, according to Glassdoor, is $27,834 annually.
Customer Care Representative Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Customer care representatives perform the tasks, duties, and responsibilities:
- Overseeing a team of junior customer service representatives who with supervision from the customer care representative help to bring solutions to customer problems
- Keeping detailed and adequate records of customer interactions, transactions, comments, and complaints
- Handling customer complaints by providing appropriate solutions and alternatives, and then following up to ensure resolution
- Assistance with the placement of orders, refunds, or exchanges
- Cooperation with the customer care manager to ascertain proper customer service is being delivered
- Answering incoming calls regarding service questions, product problems, billing issues, and general client concerns
- Regular update and maintenance of customer’s account using computer software programs
- The resolution, prioritizing, and researching customer issues in a timely and accurate fashion.
Customer Care Representative Job Description for Resume
If you have worked before or are presently working as a customer care representative and are making a resume or CV for a new job, you can boost the resume/CV to increase your chances of being granted an interview by having the professional experience section in it.
The professional or work experience section of the resume/CV will enable you to show the customer care representative work experience you have had.
This will prove to the recruiter/employer that you have been successful performing the duties and responsibilities of a customer care representative.
This piece of information in your resume/CV can greatly influence the recruiter/employer to invite you to an interview, especially if some customer care representative work experience is important to the new job.
You can make an attractive professional experience section for your resume/CV by applying the customer care representative job description example above.
Customer Care Representative Requirements – Knowledge, Abilities, and Skills for Career Success
Some of the essential skills and qualifications that are required to work as a customer care representative include:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to interact with customers effectively
- Possession of customer orientation and the ability to respond/adapt to different types of characters
- Ability to remain calm even when customers are stressed or upset
- Good computer skills to be able to effectively utilize necessary computer software to help keep customer accounts
- Experience as a Client Service Representative or proven customer support experience
- Ability to prioritize duties and perform multiple tasks simultaneously, and to manage time effectively
- Minimum of High School Diploma educational level or GED.
This post is helpful to individuals interested in the customer care representative career; they will be able to improve their knowledge of the duties that make up the customer care representative job.
They will therefore be able to decide rightly if the customer care representative career is best for them.
This article is also useful to recruiters/employers needing to find the best candidates for the vacant customer care representative role in their organizations.
They can create an effective job description for the vacant customer care representative position in their organizations by applying the sample customer care representative job description provided on this page for use in their hiring process.