Civil Foreman Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
This post provides exhaustive information on the job description of a civil foreman to help you learn the work they do.
It highlights the key tasks, duties, and responsibilities that commonly make up the civil foreman work description in most companies.
It also presents the major requirements employers/recruiters may want you to meet to be qualified for hiring for the civil foreman position.
Please, continue reading to increase your knowledge of the civil foreman career:
What Does a Civil Foreman Do?
A civil foreman is responsible for managing large public construction projects such as communication towers, bridges, highways, and airports.
His/her job description entails leading a team that takes on construction projects that are of importance to the public and supervising crews of workers to ensure that projects proceed smoothly.
In other words, a civil foreman refers to one whose profession is to coordinate operations and oversee workers at construction sites.
A civil foreman ensures that he/she constructs construction work according to priorities and plans, oversees production schedules and monitors crew attendance, and allocates general and daily responsibilities.
The construction foreman is expected to carry out numerous core responsibilities in his/her daily activities.
These include monitoring team members to ensure that operations flow since construction projects require group efforts to be completed successfully.
He/she may also be required to hire people and schedule their work hours on the construction site, communicate instructions, carry out thorough inspections on works, and sometimes work side-by-side with workers to demonstrate techniques or to help out.
It is also the duty of a civil foreman to try to keep the construction team’s energy and spirits up, as good morale increases productivity.
Therefore, he/she is required to handle construction workers by stepping in to resolve issues between workers, firing employees who do not perform their duties efficiently and effectively, and dealing with worker-related concerns such as payroll.
A civil foreman is also expected to liaise and meet with supervisors since a variety of different personnel are interested in the updates of how construction is progressing, therefore, he/she may be summoned to provide updates and answer questions for project engineers, leaders, and clients.
A civil foreman is also responsible for relaying new information to his/her team if the management decides to make changes to the original plans.
It is also important that the foreman prioritizes safety at construction sites by ensuring that workers know and adhere to safety rules and guidelines, such as wearing hard hats and other protective gear.
To become a civil foreman, interested individuals should develop important skills and qualities that are needed to foster efficiency and productivity in the process of carrying out their job duties.
These include profound knowledge of the construction industry, good leadership skills, physical fitness and stamina, excellent planning and organizational skills; ability to efficiently and effectively multitask, well-developed verbal and written communication skills, good teamwork and interpersonal skills, and good time management skills.
In terms of academic qualifications, the job role/position of a civil foreman demands that an ideal candidate possesses a Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management or in a similar discipline; though some civil foreman who are High School graduates gradually work their way up to the position.
Most employers also prefer candidates who have acquired several years of professional experience in civil construction works.
Civil Foreman Salary: The average salary for a civil foreman is $61,265 annually.
Civil Foreman Job Description Example/Sample/Template
The civil foreman job description usually consists of the following tasks, duties, and responsibilities:
- Overseeing the coordination of construction works and ensuring that they are in accordance with priorities and plans
- Producing schedules and monitoring the attendance of crew
- Inspecting construction sites frequently and ensuring that manpower and resources are adequate
- Supervising the use of machinery and equipment
- Tracking expenditure and ensuring that it stays within budget
- Identifying and resolving problems that may arise during construction processes
- Guaranteeing and implementing safety precautions while also ensuring that quality standards are met
- Reporting the progress of construction projects to managers, supervisors, engineers, and other relevant personnel.
Civil Foreman Job Description for Resume
If you are making a new resume or CV and have worked before as a civil foreman or are presently working in that position, you can boost the quality of your resume by having the professional experience section in it.
This section helps to inform the recruiter/employer that you have been effective performing the duties and responsibilities of a civil foreman.
This information will definitely strengthen your resume or CV for the recruiter/employer to invite you to an interview, especially if the civil foreman work experience is important to the new job.
You can create a compelling professional or work experience section for your resume or CV by applying the sample civil foreman job description provided above.
Civil Foreman Requirements – Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities for Career Success
If you are seeking to work as a civil foreman, here are major requirements most recruiters/employers may want you to fulfill to be hired:
- Profound knowledge of the construction industry which enables a civil foreman to be comfortable with the utilization of construction tools; the ability to read blueprints, and the mastery of safety and governmental rules
- Excellent leadership skills, since a team of workers, contractors, and subcontractors look to the civil foreman for guidance
- Physical fitness and stamina, since the job of a civil foreman requires him/her to spend a lot of time on his/her feet moving around the construction site and carrying items when required
- Good planning and organizational skills that enable a civil foreman to figure out the number of workers needed for a project, how to organize time, and the most effective way to get things done
- Excellent multitasking skills, since a civil foreman gets demands from several directions and he/she must prioritize what to give his/her attention to
- Several years of proven work experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management or in a similar discipline.
This post is helpful to individuals interested in the civil foreman career; they will be able to learn all they need to know about the role and so be able to make informed decision about choosing the career or not.
This post is equally helpful to recruiters/employers who are looking to create a description for a vacant civil foreman job that they want to fill.
They can create a detailed description of the position by applying the civil foreman job description example provided on this page.