This post presents detailed information on the call center customer service representative job description, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities they commonly perform.
It also highlights the major requirements that you may be expected to fulfill to be hired for the call center customer service representative role by most recruiters/employers.
What Does a Call Center Customer Service Representative Do?
A call center customer service representative is responsible for providing high-quality customer service to customers by offering courteous and efficient services.
The call center customer service representative job description entails providing solutions and answering queries of customers, and also referring unresolved issues to superior authorities.
It also involves handling complaints professionally, efficiently, and with positive attitude.
The main task of a call center employee is to take telephone orders and complaints, add them to the database and then process them through the various checklists and forms after all necessary verifications have been complete.
Call center customer service representatives provide basic information about the products and services provided by the organization to clients.
They provide better solutions to customers in an eventuality or emergency situation in order to retain them as regular clients of the business firm being well-versed with the current products, policies, and procedures of the organization.
Call center customer service representatives handle multiple tasks at the same time and prioritize their workload according to urgency of the matter.
They are responsible for contacting customers, who have outstanding payment issues and work out repayment schedules with them in order to avoid penalty fees charged by credit collection agencies.
It is also their duty to send reminders to clients who have not made payment on time or those who have delayed payments.
They are required to reply to customers promptly and answer their queries within a given period of time.
The call center customer service representative work description also involves making sure that all forms of communication are delivered effectively, whether it’s email, telephone, SMS, or social media.
It also includes taking and maintaining notes of every conversation with customers for future reference and documentation purpose.
Call center customer service representatives have a duty to make sure that all details of customer service are documented in the internal system.
Call Center Customer Service Representative Job Description Sample/Example/Template
The call center customer service representative job description consists of the following duties, tasks, and responsibilities:
- Provides information, support and assistance to customers for a company’s products and services. May answer questions about the company’s products and services, such as pricing, ordering procedures, or delivery time
- Takes orders from customers and enters the orders into an order-entry computer system, verifying information such as telephone number, credit card number, and billing address
- Schedules appointments for client demonstration of products or services that require a sales representative to contact the customer at home or in a business office. Some call centers schedule these appointments automatically based on stock inventory levels and sales history. This is also called telemarketing
- Takes orders over the telephone and enters them into an order-entry system. Interprets information such as billing address, phone number, and credit/debit card number
- May help customers resolve problems with products or services and may educate customers about product or service needs
- Maintains customer files to keep track of customer account information, including credit ratings and other pertinent data for the company’s products or services
- Gives technical advice by telephone to corporate security personnel regarding new products, procedures and policies concerning current systems, processes, and technology. These are also called technical support representatives (TSRs)
- Provides information to the media on the company’s products and services
- Offers administrative support to supervisors and managers
- Schedules meeting rooms, coordinating travel arrangements and making hotel reservations for sales representatives, or inform customers of company policies regarding such issues as product warranty or repair procedures
- Takes continuing education courses in computer-related technologies to keep abreast of new hardware and software developments that affect the call center industry.
Call Center Customer Service Representative Job Description for Resume
If you have worked previously as a call center customer service representative or are currently working in that position and are making a new resume or CV, then you can craft a compelling Professional Experience section for your resume by applying the sample call center customer service representative job description provided above.
You can express the duties and responsibilities of a call center customer service representative that you have performed or presently performing in your resume’ Professional Experience by utilizing the ones in the above call center customer service representative job description example.
This will show to the recruiter/employer that you have been effective performing the call center customer service representative duties and responsibilities, which can greatly enhance your chances of being hired, especially if the new job that you are seeking requires someone with some call center customer service representative work experience.
Call Center Customer Service Representative Requirements: Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
Here are important requirements that you may be asked to meet to be hired for the call center customer service representative role by most employers/recruiters:
- Basic computer literacy skills on MS Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Great writing and communication skills (English, both written and verbal) and ability to write resolving letters
- Good listening, organizational, and interpersonal skills
- Hands-on experience in call center/telemarketing
- Ability to work from anywhere in the world at any time in case of emergency
- Presentation skills to make effective presentation to clients during customer support
- Good analytical skills
- It is recommended to pursue Bachelors’ or Master’s degree in English or Journalism
- Good telephone voice and presentation skills, able to talk on the phone for at least 30 minutes per day on average for more than 16 hours per week.
Call Center Customer Service Representative Salary
According to Glassdoor, the estimated total pay for a call center customer service representative in the United States is $48,561 per year, with an average salary of $31,509 per year.
This post is useful to individuals interested in the call center customer service representative career.
They will be able to learn all they need to know about the duties and responsibilities usually carried out by call center customer service representatives, to effectively decide if that’s the job they want to do.
It is also helpful to recruiters/employers in making a detailed job description for the call center customer service representative position in their companies for use in hiring for the role.