This post provides detailed information on the customer service cashier job description, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities they commonly perform.
It also highlights major requirements that you may be expected to meet to be hired for the customer service cashier role by most recruiters/employers.
What Does a Customer Service Cashier Do?
A customer service cashier is responsible for assisting customers at their convenience to the public areas of the establishment, including cash register and point of sale.
The customer service cashier job description entails greeting people by name and with a smile and a handshake whenever they enter the establishment.
It also involves calling on customers who are not currently shopping in an effort to encourage them to take advantage of any promotional offers which may be provided.
Customer service cashiers make sure that customers have a positive shopping experience.
Many times the customer service cashier will be required to make change for customers as they are involved in making purchases.
The customer service cashier may be required to keep their work area neat and clean at all times.
It is also their duty to operate machines such as coffee makers, soda machines, microwave ovens, and candy dispensers, which are typically referred to as food-service equipment within the work area(s).
The customer service cashier work description also involves ensuring that the establishment is safe and secure at all times, providing a hygienic work environment that promotes a positive shopping experience to customers and associates.
It also ensures that public areas of the office have sufficient supplies of products or services needed by patrons and that they are maintained in an acceptable, clean, sanitary, and reusable condition.
The customer service cashier also checks the cash register, point of sale, and other equipment to ensure that it is working properly and reports any malfunctions to co-workers or other superior staff members.
In addition, the customer service cashier may be required to work with other individuals in order to transport items from one place to another using any type of delivery vehicles or vehicles that are deemed necessary for their work environment.
Ensuring the safety of patrons, employees and members of the public is one of their tasks as well.
Additional job duties of the customer service cashier might include performing miscellaneous tasks as assigned by management, including cleaning tables and emptying trash cans, cleaning and maintaining store equipment, assisting with inventory counts and working in the receiving area when necessary to prepare shipments.
Customer Service Cashier Job Description Sample/Example/Template
The customer service cashier job description consists of the following duties, tasks, and responsibilities:
- Greeting customers and checking their identification and other necessary documents
- Helping customers to solve their questions or issues in the process of payment
- Maintaining good relationship with other departments within the company
- Keeping record of daily transactions’ data and sending reports to the supervisor on a timely basis
- Cooperating with colleagues to resolve any problems during work, such as machine faults, programming errors, etc.
- Providing assistance to any employee who asks for help
- Checking the products and specifying the amount for each type of transaction
- Processing payment, such as counting and sorting cash and distributing change
- Assisting in organizing stock by taking goods to break room or storeroom for storage when necessary
- Keeping aware of any unusual situations or items during the day
- Ensuring that all work areas are neat and tidy at all times.
Customer Service Cashier Job Description for Resume
If you have worked before as a customer service cashier or are presently working in that role and are making a new resume or CV, then you can create an impressive Professional Experience section for your resume by applying the customer service cashier job description example provided above.
You can highlight the duties and responsibilities that you have performed or are currently carrying out as a customer service cashier in your resume’s Professional Experience by utilizing the sample customer service cashier job description above.
This will show that you have been successful performing the customer service cashier duties and responsibilities, which can greatly boost your chances of being hired for the new job that you are seeking, especially if it requires someone with some customer service cashier work experience.
Customer Service Cashier Requirements: Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
Here are important requirements that you may be expected to fulfill to be hired for the customer service cashier role by most recruiters/employers:
- Ability to communicate well with customers when they are in the process of ordering and at the end of purchase
- Ability to organize themselves in order to solve any issues that might arise, such as missing items, errors on checkout forms, or any other issues that may need to be resolved by customer service cashier
- Strong leadership skills and a good organizational attitude, along with ability to multi-task while working
- A team player with willingness to explore and learn new things
- Proactive in the job position, making sure to check all equipment, such as printers and registers
- Good attention to detail, math, planning, and problem solving skills
- Ability to remain calm and presentable even in hectic situations
- An eye for detail and notice mistakes that could affect the company or customers’ business, such as checks with insufficient funds or missing items during the transaction process
- Ability to help others in the office or with their work, such as if they are having issues in the system
- A hard worker who takes pride in their job
- Ability to deal with stress and distractions from co-workers.
Customer Service Cashier Salary
According to Glassdoor, the annual total pay for a customer service cashier in the United States is $47,736 with an average salary of $29,266.
A customer service cashier is an employee who serves as the public face of many types of businesses.
This person is usually responsible for handling cash sales, processing payments, and keeping accurate records, as well as helping customers make purchases and provide assistance when needed.
The ideal candidate for this job will possess a friendly demeanor and have excellent interpersonal skills, along with strong mathematics and computer skills.
This post is useful to individuals interested in the customer service cashier career.
They will be able to learn all they need to know about the duties and responsibilities customer service cashiers typically perform, to decide rightly if that’s the job they want to do.
It is also beneficially to recruiters/employers in making a detailed job description for the customer service cashier position in their companies, for use in hiring for the role.