This post provides detailed information on the wedding planner job description, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities they commonly perform.
It also highlights the major requirements that you may be expected to fulfill to be hired for the wedding planner role.
What Does a Wedding Planner Do?
As part of the event planning coordination industry, wedding planners are responsible for the effective and efficient planning of weddings in order to create the picture of their clients’ dream wedding day.
Their job description cuts across not just planning weddings but also executing them to the desired perfection.
Wedding planners may work on their own and/or for events planning companies. Their role may be limited to just coordinating affairs on the day of the wedding or to such matters as budgeting and securing vendors for the wedding. They are artists who help dramatize the dream wedding of their clients.
He/she plans the layout of the venue of the wedding in order to among other things ensure compliance with fire service and other regulations and the taste/prescription of client(s).
He/she is also responsible for advising clients on best wedding customs and etiquettes and meets with couples in order to understand their dream wedding.
A wedding planner is responsible for cleaning the venue of the wedding immediately after the event, and is also expected to ensure the security of wedding gifts and other items used for the wedding.
His/her work description also entails foreseeing and preparing for various unexpected situations that may occur in the course of the wedding.
He/she is detailed to handle guest list and ensure the comfort of guests.
A wedding planner is responsible for securing the services of vendors like photographers, food vendors, and videographers for the wedding.
He/she is assigned to ensure adequate provision of good quality food for guests, and it is also their duty to plan for adequate and effective waste disposal at the venue of the wedding.
He/she is responsible for liaising with contractors who have been assigned one duty or the other in relation to the wedding.
He/she is also responsible for being physically present at the venue of the wedding on the day of the event to ensure that the plan for the wedding is followed strictly with little or no deviations.
Wedding Planner Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Wedding planners perform a wide range of functions to ensure their clients get the wedding of their dream.
Below is a job description example that captures the major wedding planner tasks, duties, and responsibilities:
- Prepares (with or without the client) budget for the wedding and ensures strict compliance with the budget
- Work with couples to find out their expectation for the wedding and keep them up-to-date on its planning and execution
- Secures the best available venue for the wedding in consideration of the date and budget for the wedding
- Contacts and gets the services of musicians, dancers, and other entertainers that may be needed
- Prepares financial report on the wedding
- Keeps a list of equipment necessary for the wedding, e.g. computers, speakers, backdrop, chairs, tables, etc.
- Delegates responsibilities like ushering, protocol, etc. to team members
- Make sure restroom facilities are provided at wedding venues.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – For Wedding Planner Role
To hire for the wedding planner position, employers normally look for certain qualities, skills, knowledge, abilities, etc. that they believe will enable wedding planners to be effective on the job.
Below are major requirements and qualifications most employers for the wedding planning position will expect applicants to possess to be eligible to access the job:
- Ability to perform various tasks efficiently for the success of the wedding
- A degree in Marketing, Events Planning, Advertising, Hotel or Hospitality Management, or in other related area
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, high pressure work environment
- Ability to communicate with all stakeholders in written and verbal forms
- Ability to lead a team as well as work as part of a team to produce desired result
- Strong working knowledge of the different Microsoft Office applications
- Strong time management skills to be able to schedule and successfully carry out activities within allotted time efficiently
- Ability to listen to and understand exactly what clients require and expect for their wedding
- Strong ability to negotiate deals with vendors and other service providers to the wedding event and secure cost saving deals for clients
- Strong ability to interact and get along with people from diverse background
- Exceptionally organized individual with strong ability to pay attention to details
- Event management experience, including parties, charity events, projects, etc.
- Ability to predict what could go wrong in an event and prevent it from occurring
- Strong problem solving ability to be able to deal with crisis situations in the course of events
- Updated knowledge of trends in the wedding industry.
If you are an employer in search of a good wedding planner to hire, the job description sample provided in this post will assist you in making one for the position in your organization.
Publishing a detailed description of the position in your organization will help prospective applicants know exactly the duties and responsibilities they will be expected to perform as a wedding planner, and to be sure they are qualified for the role.
You will therefore be able to get the candidates that you desire for the position.
This post will also be useful to you if you are interested in becoming a wedding planner. You will be able to increase your knowledge of the career, and therefore to make the right decision about it.