Warehouse Storekeeper Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
This post provides complete information on the job description of a warehouse storekeeper, to help you learn what they do.
It presents the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that commonly define the warehouse storekeeper wok description in most organizations.
This article also presents major requirements you will be expected to meet if you are applying for the warehouse storekeeper position.
Please, continue reading to learn more about the warehouse storekeeper career:
What Does a Warehouse Storekeeper Do?
A warehouse storekeeper oversees general operations and activities, including shipment and taking deliveries, conducting stock checks, recording warehouse transactions, storage of inventory, and guaranteeing the safe and efficient operation of the material handling equipment in a warehouse.
They work in the warehouse and are responsible for stock control of warehouse cargo, coordinating the arrangement of cargo, and performing of documentation of cargo stored at the warehouse.
They are also responsible for the coordination of warehouse cargo/items arrangement or rotation, as well as material handling security procedures.
The warehouse storekeeper job description entails coordinating the warehouse operations applying 5S (sort, set, shine, standardize, sustain) techniques in manufacturing, trans-shipment, and trans-loading operations, and managing the warehouse incident or crisis management scheme.
The method applied by warehouse storekeepers in executing the operations of a warehouse depends on its situations and contingencies.
Warehouse storekeepers help to aid compliance with special handling requirements in stacking, moving, and arranging items on pallets according to storage plan and carry out measures to address operational shortfall and maintenance needs.
They are responsible for employing methods and techniques to manage time, temperature sensitive cargo, and dangerous goods, as well as carry out continuous/performance improvement activities and strategies.
Their work description also involves reviewing warehousing quality issues, reporting workplace safety and health (WSH) incidents, and recommending WSH solutions to address shortcomings in current processes.
Warehouse Storekeeper Job Description Example/Sample/Template
The warehouse storekeeper performs his/her job duties in a warehouse environment. They are responsible for maintaining inventory, receiving stock, placing purchase orders, data entry into the inventory management system, as well as performing other back-up tasks in other areas within the department.
The core tasks, duties, and responsibilities of the warehouse storekeeper are listed in the job description example below:
- Receive, pull stock, store, and maintain warehouse inventory
- Responsible for the issuance of materials and supplies to all departments in the organization
- Scrutinize all deliveries and ensure that defective or incorrect items are returned
- Examine stock and dispose of depreciated and obsolete stock following the organization’s policy
- Responsible for stock control and housekeeping operations of warehouse cargo and items
- Key departmental orders into the inventory management system
- Carry out minor maintenance or repair of storeroom material
- Provide detailed reports on departmental charges
- Responsible for the preparation of requisitions for supplies and materials
- Responsible for the maintenance of inventory of parts and equipment on hand
- Keep documentation of materials and supplies issued
- Responsible for the preparation of work orders for equipment repairs
- Preserve records and prepare related reports.
Warehouse Storekeeper Job Description for Resume
If you have worked before as a warehouse storekeeper or are presently working in that position and are making a new resume, you can apply the duties and responsibilities presented in the sample job description above in making the professional experience section of the resume if the new job requires working experience as a warehouse storekeeper.
The above duties and responsibilities perfectly describe the professional experience for the warehouse storekeeper role.
Warehouse Storekeeper Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
If you are seeking the job of a warehouse storekeeper, the following are major requirements most recruiters may want you to fulfill to be employed:
- Education and experience: Applicants for the warehouse storekeeper job are usually required to have minimum of High School diploma or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Familiarity with the duties of the job is a plus to the applicant. Organizations often desire hire people with at least 2 years cognate experience in receiving, storing, and issuing a variety of materials, supplies, and equipment or warehousing experience
- Certification: It is important to have forklift certification if you are interested in working as a warehouse storekeeper
- Knowledge: A warehouse storekeeper should be familiar with accounting principles, inventory systems, and storekeeping methods and procedures. It is also vital that they have Knowledge of forklift operations
- Communication Skills: The ability to communicate both verbally and in writing is an essential skill required of a warehouse storekeeper. It is necessary for working effectively with others, especially for taking oral and written instructions and following established procedures
- Computer Skills: they should be able to work with a computer and can utilize purchasing/inventory software, and Microsoft Office applications
- Dexterity: They should be fit to perform physical tasks such as lifting of heavy objects and also have basic skills needed for performing minor repairs to equipment or materials
- Organizational Skills: A warehouse storekeeper may be required to work with people in different departments and handle multiple tasks. So it is important that they can plan, organize, multi-task, and work cooperatively with others.
Warehouse Storekeeper Salary
According to the information published on Glassdoor, the average annual salary for a storekeeper is $51,494 in the United States.
And a warehouse storekeeper falls under the storekeeper job classification, hence the same salary rate applies to them.
If you are an employer recruiting for a warehouse storekeeper position, you can adapt the sample job description provided above in making the perfect description of the job in your organization.
You will need to publish a detailed description of the warehouse storekeeper job in your organization to attract the best candidates; the information provided on this page can help you do so quickly.
Information on this page is also valuable to individuals interested in the warehouse storekeeper career; they can increase their knowledge of the duties and responsibilities that characterize the warehouse storekeeper job.