VP of Business Development Job Description Example
What Does the VP of Business Development Do?
The vice president (VP) of business development reports directly to the president, and also works together with the management team towards fostering better business success for the organization.
His/her job description entails expanding the company’s business across work environments and sectors by selling professional development experiences.
He/she must emphasize on the need for the organization to record positive changes and experience profit growth in its dealings.
Many organizations requiring the expertise of VP of business development expect them to have capability of selling standard developmental offerings, like consultative custom solutions, training, and workshops that are all concerned with the organizational and leadership development of the company.
The VP is required to be growth-oriented and be dynamic to meet up with the pace of competitors and overtake them towards re-positioning the organization at the apex in their preferred niche.
The perfect candidate for the post of VP, business development must possess very strong background experience in business development and sales; he/she should also demonstrate such experience.
The preferred candidate must have been involved in professional service settings and B2B.
He/she has brighter chances if he/she has worked with senior staff members in the past and has ever participated in decision-making.
The vice president’s role also involves building business network, as well as improving on company’s relationship, and with clients through top quality service delivery and enticing service representation.
He/she is required to possess some level of account management skills.
The VP of business development should be the curious individual, ready to take calculated risks towards promoting company’s goals and ideals.
He/she should be a problem-solver and be capable of assuming responsibility, since he may have to act in full representation of the president whenever the later is not available.
The job of the business development VP is highly interesting, and possessing the required experience and adequate measure of business dynamism makes it lots more interesting for the professional. Effectiveness and efficiency are the watchwords of the professional, as there is no space for sloppy conducts.
Other duties the VP may also perform include attending to clients and responding to their needs without supervision.
Individuals occupying this position should be strong mentally enough to work under pressure and without complaint.
He/she should have what it takes to make very important business decisions regarding network development and sales approach of the company.
VP of Business Development Job Description Example
The job description example given below shows the major duties, tasks, and responsibilities people who work as VP of business development commonly carry out in most companies:
- Develop networks towards sourcing for new clients
- Work independently on customers’ needs
- Identify and develop resources relevant to business development and sales goals
- Sell the ideals and services of the business organization to the general public towards improving on sales generation
- Oversee the organizational effectiveness, management development, and leadership development of the organization towards improving the core content of the company
- Liaise with members of staff to ensure top level client experience in all cases of client interactions from follow up to delivery and needs assessment
- Attract, as well as retain clients by developing highly creative outreach strategies along with marketing director in the organization
- Work in line with the operational procedures of the organization towards its revenue generation and sales growth goals
- Manage a sizable number of members of staff to ensure they perform sales and marketing tasks of the organization as prescribed by management
Preparing a resume for the position of VP, business development:
To prepare a resume for this role, the job description sample shown above provides the relevant information that can be used in crafting certain sections of the resume, such as the work experience section.
Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities – For VP of Business Development Job
The VP for business development is required to posses some cogent skills and abilities so as to perform effectively in his/her duties. Some of these qualities are highlighted below:
- Bachelor’s degree in sales related fields of study, including at least 10 years in client relationship management, professional services, business development, team leadership, Human Resources and B2B sales
- Strong leadership capability
- Strong relationship management skills
- Ability to grow and maintain relationship with any individual, irrespective of the background and type of personality
- Possession of good sense of humor
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong creativity and critical thinking abilities
- Ability to work with recent technological applications relating to daily tasks
- Strong detail-orientation and top level self organization
- Ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously
- Willingness to put in more working hours, even at odd times
- Possess reliable problem-solving ability
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.