Crafting an exceptional resume objective for an internship position can truly set you apart from the sea of applicants seeking the same role.
In this article, we’ll provide you with tips on composing an impactful resume objective specifically tailored for internship positions.
Securing an internship position holds significance for students and recent graduates who’re eager to establish themselves.
However, let’s face the reality competition is cutthroat these days almost akin to the Hunger Games.
We’ll delve into showcasing your skills and experience in a way that captures employers’ attention and leaves a lasting impression.
Additionally we’ll share 25 real life examples of internship resume objectives across various fields, such as marketing, engineering, and journalism.
Remember, a compelling objective in your resume is an important step towards demonstrating your value as an intern.
How to Craft a Standout Internship Resume Objective Statement
Your internship objective statement sits on the front and center of your resume and is often the first thing an employer sees.
So you’ll want to make it really compelling and attention grabbing.
Here are some tips for writing an internship resume objective that gets the employer to read all parts of your resume or CV:
- Learn about the company and the internship position you are applying for
Get familiar with the internship description and company website. Identify skills and requirements they are looking for so you can mirror their language in your objective.
- Highlight relevant skills and experience
Include keywords and details from the internship job description that are applicable to your experiences in your resume objective. Quantify achievements when possible.
- Keep it short and punchy
Your internship resume objective will be more effective if it’s not too long, about 2-3 sentences is okay. Summarize your fit for the internship job without rambling.
- Tailor it to match the specific internship position
Make sure to customize or tailor your objective to match what the company wants for the specific internship position they want to fill.
Don’t just copy/paste a generic objective statement for your internship resume.
- Focus on what you can contribute to the internship role
Craft your objective around how you can add value as an intern, not what you hope to gain.
You should ensure that your internship objective statement is error free before sending your resume or CV to the employer.
Check for spelling/grammar errors and ask someone else to review it for you, perhaps they may come up with a fresh perspective.
Top 25 Internship Resume Objective Examples
- Creative and analytical marketing student seeks to support ABC Company’s innovative marketing in an internship role to apply social media strategy and content creation skills on the team this summer.
- Highly motivated advertising student with excellent communication and teamwork skills who is able to work well independently and cross-collaboratively is eager to contribute writing and analytical skills in an internship role at AXL Corp.
- Outgoing marketing major with 3+ years of experience supporting customer acquisition and retention campaigns at DEF Inc. is excited to bring strategic thinking and account management experience to growth-focused marketing internship.
- Hardworking mechanical engineering student with strong technical skills and proven academic success as well as ability to quickly learn new engineering processes and tools seeks internship opportunity at leading automotive company.
- Innovative biomedical engineering major with strong problem-solving and analytical abilities combined with attention to detail and commitment to quality assurance desires summer internship in a medical device development company.
- Enthusiastic civil engineering student with strong foundation in AutoCAD and structural analysis is eager to apply classroom knowledge to real-world design and construction projects through hands-on internship experience.
- Highly motivated multimedia journalism student with social media, photography, and basic HTML/CSS skills seeks internship with esteemed publication like V-House Inc. to contribute creative ideas and gain practical media experience.
- Passionate communications major with strong work ethic and ability to take direction is very interested in investigative reporting opportunity to utilize writing, editing and research skills as a summer newsroom intern.
- Creative English student with superb ability to craft compelling digital content and engage readers in the role of social media manager for university radio station is eager to apply writing talent for fast-paced news as an intern.
- Results-driven finance student with 3+ years of experience in customer service and sales support desires finance internship to leverage analytical skills and contribute to financial operations.
- Hardworking accounting student with understanding of GAAP principles and experience balancing books desires internship in accounting/finance to expand skills in budget management and data analysis.
- Public health student passionate about healthcare policy and advocacy pursues internship in HealthMax Agency, to apply analytical abilities and contribute to organizational operations and planning.
- Personable MHA candidate with proven patient service skills gained through nursing aid experience seeks enriching internship in healthcare administration and management.
- Studious human resources student with working knowledge of HR information systems and applicant tracking platforms is eager to apply classroom learning in a fast-paced HR internship environment.
- Outgoing HR student with experience coordinating training/onboarding and administering employee surveys desires HR internship focused on talent acquisition and workforce development.
- Tech savvy IT student with strong problem diagnosis and client service skills as well as hands-on experience providing Help Desk support wants an IT internship role to expand technical abilities and gain real-world experience.
- Diligent computer science student with programming knowledge and cyber security coursework seeks IT internship to apply developing skills in networking, coding, and systems integration.
- Organized and analytical political science major with strong work ethic and ability to manage administrative responsibilities seeks legal internship to leverage research, writing, and compliance monitoring abilities.
- Detail-oriented criminology student with experience collecting/processing evidence and maintaining case files seeks internship with criminal law firm to expand understanding of legal practices and procedures.
- Compassionate social work student dedicated to community enrichment desires internship with non-profit/public service organization to contribute empathy, cultural awareness, and program coordination support.
- Civic-minded communications student with 2+ years volunteering for local government initiatives seeks communications/PR internship to apply writing skills in service of public affairs.
- Analytical biochemistry student with lab research skills in chromatography, PCR, and aseptic techniques desire research internship in pharmaceuticals or biotech focusing on cancer therapies.
- Curious environmental science student with strong statistics background and office software skills is eager to apply water testing and soil sampling abilities to hands-on research internship.
- Creative fashion merchandising student with retail sales experience is excited to intern with ABC Fashion House and contribute fresh ideas, trend analysis, and marketing support during the summer season.
- Passionate retail management student with 3+ years of customer service experience in boutique settings desires a fulfilling internship opportunity to gain insights into store operations, visual merchandising, and inventory management.
Internship Skills for Resume Objective
When hiring interns, employers usually look for certain skills, abilities, competencies, and experiences that indicate a candidate will thrive in their role.
Here are 6 key qualifications employers usually ask for to hire candidates as an intern, which you can also highlight in your internship resume objective statement to make it compelling:
- Communication Skills
- Strong verbal and written skills to interface with colleagues and clients.
- Ability to present ideas clearly.
- Collaborative spirit and ability to work with others towards a common goal.
- Experience working in groups/teams.
- Technical Skills
- A good command of computer programs, tools and platforms commonly used in the field/industry.
- You want to also be a fast learner when it comes to adopting technologies and systems.
- Analytical Thinking
- Possessing excellent problem solving skills with the ability to analyze data and conduct thorough research.
- Ability to pay attention to detail and a person that can easily identify any issues when they arise.
- Relevant Coursework/Training
- Demonstrate proof that you have taken classes, participated in workshops and obtained certifications that are directly related to the internship focus. This shows you have subject-matter knowledge.
To increase your chances of securing your desired internship position, it is crucial that your resume, cover letter, and interview responses effectively showcase the above skills and qualifications.
A well-crafted resume objective can capture the attention of hiring managers and improve your chances of having them read all parts of your internship resume.
It distinguishes you from other applicants.
As we have discussed, a successful internship objective should highlight your skills and contributions while aligning them with the company’s needs.
It is important to customize your objective statement to match the specific internship role you are applying for, this makes it more effective.
By incorporating a powerful objective as an introduction in your resume or CV, you would greatly enhance your potential for success in obtaining an internship position.