This post provides complete information on the job description of a supermarket store manager, including the duties, tasks, and responsibilities they typically perform.
What Does a Supermarket Store Manager Do?
The supermarket store manager is responsible for overseeing all the activities that play out in the store.
He/she is expected to provide effective management and ensure the transformation of the supermarket.
The manager is expected to be at the center of top quality service delivery to the customers.
A supermarket thrives on being able to meet up with customers’ expectations and the store manager is required to make this possible
The role of a supermarket store manager is a very tasking one, with him/her saddled with several responsibilities that will make him/her busy all day long.
The demand of his/her job is constant, but the tasks that need to be performed do change on daily basis and this makes his/her job one of the most dynamic around.
Due to the challenging nature of the supermarket store manager’s role, he/she is usually required to work on weekends and to put longer hours on weekdays.
He/she deals with individuals with different needs on daily basis.
Each of these individuals comes with various challenges and projects that will keep the manager active both physically and mentally all day long.
The store manager is usually given an office for his/her use, but the tasking nature of the job rarely permits him/her the comfort of sitting in the office for any length of time.
Consequently, he/she must be prepared to spend much more time on the supermarket floor than in the office.
The duties and responsibilities the supermarket store manager usually has to handle are determined by the size of the supermarket; it increases with the store’s size.
The supermarket store manager is not left to get things done alone; he/she is provided with the required support by top management of the supermarket to ensure complete success.
He/she is expected to carry the top management and other members of staff along and to make reports of daily activities to the assigned authority.
Other duties that make up the work description of a supermarket store manager include dealing with all issues relating to clients, with him/her forwarding difficult issues to top management for assistance.
Aside overseeing sales activities in the supermarket, the store manager is equally expected to develop and communicate new ideas on how to move the supermarket forward.
Each supermarket has its goals and regulations; the manager is expected to be fully aware of these and he/she is required to comply with such all through his/her working period in the supermarket.
Supermarket Store Manager Job Description Example/Sample/Template
If you are looking forward to working as a supermarket manager, shown below is an example of job description you should expect to work with.
It shows the various important duties, tasks, and responsibilities that supermarket store managers most carry out in their work place.
- Improve profit and attain sales target of the supermarket
- Deal with all complaints, queries, and other related customer service issues
- Recruit and interview new staff for the supermarket
- Organize training, orientation, and supervise all departmental managers
- Organize holidays
- Oversee receiving orders and stock control
- Assign and schedule tasks for specific employees and also follow up on the results they generate
- Complete all the operational requirements of the store
- Appraise, monitor, and plan tasks to be given to individual staff members
- Discipline, counsel, and coach employees to maintain positive result generation
- Initiate corrective actions, analyze variance, schedule expenditure, and prepare annual budget aside achieving other financial objectives of the organization
- Recognize future and present requirements by customers
- Establish good rapport with existing and potential customers
- Collaborate with other members of staff that have good understanding about service requirements
- Maintain inventories and approve contracts to ensure consistent availability of the required services and merchandise
- Study trends, authorize clearance sales and also determine all required sales promotions
- Review merchandising by formulating pricing policies
- Identify profitability ratio by studying financial statements and operating statements
- Study display plans, sale promotion, and advertising towards marketing merchandise in a profitable manner.
Supermarket Store Manager Job Description for Resume
Preparing a resume for the job of supermarket store manager is not so difficult to do; the above sample job description can be adopted in making the professional experience section of the resume where you need to highlight the duties and responsibilities of the position which you have carried out in the past or which you are currently performing.
Employers’ confidence in your ability to do the job will be boosted with a strong work experience section.
Supermarket Store Manager Requirements: Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
Here are the major skills, abilities, and knowledge you need to acquire or develop to increase your effectiveness working as store manager in a supermarket:
- Educational qualification: Foundation Degree in Retail Management, HND/HNC in Retail Management or Diploma in Retail Business
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to relate cordially with clients
- Possess management proficiency
- Ability to plan and execute strategic sales processes
- Ability to deliver result copiously
- Ability to manage other staff members
- Possess excellent specific market knowledge
- Possess IT and accounting proficiency
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to lead a team
- Ability to multitask.
Supermarket Store Manager Skills for Resume
When writing a resume for the role of supermarket store manager, you need a well written skills section to make the resume strong.
To make this section, the above skills and qualities which employers normally need from applicants for the role can be applied.