Stylist Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
This post provides detailed information on the job description of a stylist, to help you learn the work they do.
It highlights the key tasks, duties, and responsibilities that usually make up the stylist work description in most organizations.
It also presents the major requirements most employers/recruiters may want individuals seeking the stylist job to fulfill to be hired.
Please, read on to improve your knowledge of the stylist career:
What Does a Stylist Do?
Stylists generally work for individuals, fashion houses, and clothing brands. Their job involves majorly providing fashion advice and tips for their clients, choosing and coordinating outfits for models for photo shots and fashion events.
Their duties also involve choosing clothing and styling for artist and actors in movies, films, TV presentation, and talks.
They are responsible for advising clients on fashion and styles for visually appealing display.
They organize and purchase the necessary props and accessories for the satisfaction of their client fashion needs.
They are responsible for ordering clothing, make up materials, fabric, and other accessories for regular up keep of their clients’ wardrobe.
They help in developing and creating appealing fashion style and design.
The job description of a stylist may also involve coordinating with makeup artist, photographers, hair stylist and other industrial experts to develop comprehensive and appealing looks for their clients.
Stylists also travel to find specific fabrics and materials that are required by their client to deliver the perfect facial look.
They are also most likely to travel a lot with their prospective clients.
They keep track and monitor the global trends and changes in fashion and style across the fashion and design industry in the globe.
They are sometime responsible for ensuring that other accompanying style experts deliver their work with optimum professionalism.
Stylists are sometimes required to also coordinate shooting locations so as to find the perfect match for the outfit.
Their tasks may also involve facilitating the delivery of new designs and fashion accessories to their clients.
Stylists are also responsible for adapting to their clients’ own interest in styles, color, and fashion taste.
They are also required to consult and work closely with other style experts and professionals whenever the need arises.
They are also responsible for assisting with client wardrobe organization and ensuring that the needed fashion accessories are all in place.
Stylist Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Stylists help create the most suitable and fitting outfit for their clients by choosing clothing and accessories that perfectly meet the client’s individual needs.
The major duties, tasks, and responsibilities of a stylist are listed in the sample job description below:
- Keeping up to date with current and trending fashion and style
- Supervising photo shoots for client
- Manipulating various fashion techniques to give the desired facial look
- Ability to adapt and follow up changes in fashion market dynamics
- Possessing a key understanding of fashion and styling techniques
- Travelling and accompanying clients to various shopping outlets and fashion shows
- Watching fashion channels and conducting online research to ensure they are up to date with the latest changes in colors and style
- Advising the client on the best fashion outfit and style for each event or outing
- Purchase and organize necessary fashion materials and designs according to clients’ needs
- Keeping record of client wardrobe needs and help in organizing make up sessions.
Stylist Job Description for Resume
If you are making a new resume or CV as someone presently working as a stylist or who has worked before in that role, you should include the professional experience section in the resume.
With this section, you can effectively let the recruiter/employer know that you have been excellent performing the duties and responsibilities of a stylist.
By reading the professional experience part of your resume or CV, employers/recruiters are more likely to give you an interview, especially if the position you are seeking requires the stylist work experience.
You can create a compelling professional experience section for your resume by applying the stylist job description sample above.
Stylist Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
If you are applying to work as a stylist, below are major requirements you might be expected to fulfill by most recruiters/employers:
- Education: Stylists need to have at least a High School diploma or equivalent degree. An Associate Bachelor’s degree in Fashion, Design or similar subject will be an added advantage. A professional certification in fashion is also commendable
- Interpersonal Skill: Stylists are required to possess strong interpersonal skills. Strong attention to details, commitment, and effective communication skills are very essential to be successful at the job. They also have to be confident and work seamlessly under pressure
- Travel: Stylists most often than not are required to travel. The travels range from following models to various fashion shows and beauty pageant progress, to accompanying clients to shopping and photo-shoots, as well as travelling to get desired collection of fashion materials
- Time Management: Stylist are also required to poses on average, a good time management skill as most of their jobs may focus on multiple clients same time for instance for movie actors customer and styling. They also need to poses a sharp eye for beauty and style.
- Creative: Stylists are required to be highly creative while having an eye for good style combination. They are required to have a good understanding of color and their different meanings. They must have great color mixing and design skills.
To hire a stylist, recruiters/employers usually need to publish the job description to help guide interested individuals in their application.
To find the right people to hire for the position of a stylist, you can make the job description for the vacant role from the sample published in this article.
This post is also useful to individuals looking to become a stylist or seeking the job.
It provides detailed information of what the career entails and the requirements you will need to satisfy to be hired by employer/recruiters.