Professional Hair Stylist Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
This post provides exhaustive information on the job description of professional hair stylist to help you learn about what they do.
It highlights the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that commonly make up the professional hair stylist work description.
It also presents the major requirements most employers would want you to meet to be hired as a professional hair stylist.
Please, continue reading to increase your knowledge of the professional hair stylist career:
What Does a Professional Hair Stylist Do?
Professional hair stylists are hair beauty experts who specialize in fashioning, styling, and treatments of the hair.
Hair stylist job responsibilities include treating and cutting their clients’ hair, offering hair styling and fashion consultation, and recommending hair styling products.
They are also responsible for recommending haircuts and hair styles according to customers face shapes and taste.
They also trim, wash, and dry client’s hair with standard chemicals and shampoos.
They apply and recommend hair treatments products and hair supplement to their client to treat hair problems such as dandruff, over growth, and undergrowth.
The professional hair stylist job description also involves ensuring tidiness of their hair care salons and ensuring that sterilizing tools in their shops are intact.
They are responsible for applying a wide range of hair coloring techniques to improve the hair looks of their clients
Professional hair stylists are very familiar and knowledgeable with a wide range of haircuts, hairstyles, and hair care products and brands.
They are responsible for ensuring overall salon safety while directing the affairs of other hair style apprentices working under them.
The professional hair stylist duties also entail formulating and applying various hair coloring products and techniques to improve client’s hair looks.
They often work with people from diverse background including models, artist, business professionals, celebrities, etc.
They often time are responsible for performing scalp treatments for their clients and also offering manicure, pedicure, waxing, and other facial services in combination with hair styling.
They often educate their clients on different hair care products and their benefits.
They also manage bookings and welcome clients to their shops.
Generally, professional hair stylists cut, style, and perform various basic and advanced hair styling techniques for their clients.
They also provide consultation services for their clients and customers.
Professional hair stylists are mostly employed by salon outfits, makeup houses, individuals such as models and celebrities, and they are often time also self-employed.
Professional Hair Stylist Job Description Example/Sample/Template
The major tasks, duties, and responsibilities of a professional hair stylist are highlights in the job description example below:
- Wash, rinse, and dry customers’ hair using various shampoos and techniques to achieve the desired result
- Create different styles of hair for customers for formal events and everyday looks
- Sell hair care product along with the hair styling business
- Provide advice and consultation services to customers towards improving their hair looks.
Professional Hair Stylist Job Description for Resume
If you are making a resume or CV as one who has worked before or are presently working in the position of a professional hair stylist, adding the professional experience section to your resume will make it more effective.
The professional or work experience allows you to show in your resume how effective you have been carrying out the duties and responsibilities of a professional hair stylist.
This piece of information can influence the recruiter/employer to invite you to an interview and give you the job, especially if having previous professional hair stylist work experience is important to the new position that you are seeking.
You can create a compelling professional experience section for your resume by applying the sample professional hair stylist job description given above.
Professional Hair Stylist Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge for Career Success
If you are seeking the job of a professional hair stylist, here are major requirements that you may be expected to fulfill by employers/recruiters:
- Education: A High School diploma or GED completion is enough to pursue a career as a professional hair stylist although most employers and customers would not even ask about degrees for a professional hairstylist however, a licensing from a cosmetology school is certainly an added advantage
- Communication skills: Hair stylists are required to have excellent verbal and communication skills as they will be working with individuals from various background and most often time will be providing consultation services in clear and simple language that the clients will understand
- Physical stamina: The job of a professional hair stylist requires them to be physically fit. Hair stylists are often required to stand for long hours on their jobs, hence they need to be physically fit to bear the long hours of standing
- Inter-personal skills: Professional hair styles are required to possess good relationship and interpersonal skills. Good interpersonal skill is vital in forming bonds with loyal customers, which will consequently keep them coming back
- Experience: Having some work experience is also a vital requirement for most professional hair stylist positions. Generally, models and celebrities require hair stylists who have had previous experience with working as a hair stylist, hair dresser, or colorist in the past
- Familiarity with various hair treatments products, including their pros and cons
- Conversant with operating hair making tools and machine
- Must be creative and have an eye for hair design
- Ability to keep up to date with various hair styling trends and fashion designs
- Conversant with salon safety, standards and cleanliness methods
- Proven skill in hair straightening and curling techniques and methods.
This post is helpful to individuals interested in becoming a professional hair stylist; they will learn all they need to know about the job and be able to decide if it’s the best career to get into.
It is also beneficial to recruiters/employers looking to find and hire competent professional hair stylists; they can apply the sample job description above in making a detailed one.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.