Homemaker Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
This post provides exhaustive information on the job description of a homemaker, to help you learn what they do.
It provides the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that typically make up the homemaker work description in most organizations.
It also highlights the major requirements that individuals seeking the job of a homemaker are usually expected to fulfill to be considered for the position.
Please, read on to increase your knowledge of the homemaker career:
What Does a Homemaker Do?
Homemakers, also known as house keepers, are individuals whose job circles around managing, organizing, and coordinating the day to day activities of households while managing other domestic concerns.
The job description of a homemaker requires them to oversee all aspects of running a household, including cleaning and child care.
Homemakers are responsible for routine upkeep and minor repairs at home.
They are responsible for handling the laundries such as washing dirty clothing, as well as doing the dishes to ensure that the utensils are well kept in their specific places and in good shape.
A homemaker job may also include taking some decoration tasks in the home.
This involves putting the furniture in their specific location to create a comfortable and inviting environment for members of the household
They are responsible for tidying up the house in general and organizing the family belongings.
They also maintain and oversee family budgets; in some instances this may include checking and balancing the family finances, especially household expenditure
They are also responsible for paying the various household bills, while running everyday errands in the house; which includes making market trips, post office deliveries, and school deliveries, among others.
A homemaker’s duties also include taking care of the children when working in a home with children.
It also involves monitoring the children, overseeing their homework and school project, and organizing physical activities such as skipping for the children.
Homemaker Job Description Example/Sample/Template
The homemaker is the primary person that is responsible for the day to day running of the household activities.
They are majorly employed in a household where both spouse are full time professional workers and might not have the required time to oversee household affairs, thus the need for a homemakers.
Shown below is a sample job description of a homemaker, highlighting the major duties, task, and responsibilities that they usually perform:
- Responsible for doing the household weekly grocery and shopping
- Setting and monitoring the household budget to ensure efficient spending
- Cleaning, cooking ,and doing the household laundry
- Overseeing proper maintenance and ensuring proper handling of home equipment
- Caring for children, including overseeing their homework and assignments
- Providing useful advice to household owners for effective running of the household
- Coordinating household management activities for optimum outcomes
- Staying up to date with nutrition and hygiene related matters
- Design and decorate the house for proper relaxation.
Homemaker Job Description for Resume
If you have worked before or are presently working as a homemaker and are making a new resume or CV, you can apply the sample job description provided above in creating the professional experience part of the resume.
The professional or work experience section is an important part of your resume that helps you to effectively show to the recruiter/employer that you have been successful performing the duties and responsibilities of a homemaker.
This is achieved by highlighting the duties that you have carried out as a homemaker in your resume.
Your chances of being hired for the new job are greater by having the professional experience section in your resume, especially if the new job requires having some homemaker work experience.
Homemaker Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
If you are seeking to work in the position of a homemaker, below are some of the major requirements employers/recruiters may want you to meet to be hired:
- Education: A homemaker requires a minimum of a high school diploma to effectively function and work in this role. More so, higher certification such as midwifery certificate, nursing, and/or child care certification is certainly an added advantage
- Communication Skill: A homemaker is required to be in constant communication with his or her employee as well as the children while taking care of them. Hence, homemakers must have an appreciable communication skill that will enable them communicate well with both the people they work for and their children
- Cooking Skills: Cooking skill is one of the fundamental skills required in homemaking jobs. Homemakers are required to have professional cooking experience or certification in most cases, since they will be wholly in charge of the grocery and foods supplies for the house hold
- Child Development Skill: Homemakers are required to be experience with working with children. Having a prior experience with child development programs or baby care programs is an added advantage
- Certification in First Aid: They are required to poses basic first aid skill and certification. This is particularly important in the case a CPR need arises or perhaps a kid under their care gets injured
- Experience: They are required to poses some sort of experience in managing and overseeing project or household activities. Experience with other related jobs such as teaching or medical care is an added advantage to be effective on the job
- Reference: Most homemakers will have to provide a referral letter from someone who really trust and know them very well to attest for their behavior and trust worthiness. Since the jobs requires a high level of trust and good behavior, providing a detailed number of persons that will proudly refer you for the job is certainly needed.
To hire a homemaker, employers/recruiters often need to publish the job description for interested applicants to apply for the post.
To recruit for the position of a homemaker, you can draft your job description from the sample published in this article.
The detailed information provided in this article on duties, responsibilities, and requirements can serve as a guide and framework for employers/recruiters who are looking to hire for the position of a homemaker, to attract and retain the best talent for the position.
This post is also useful for anyone who is interested in becoming a homemaker and looking to apply for a vacant position.
This post gives them a detailed description of the skills, responsibilities, and general qualification most employers will be looking out for in filling the post of a homemaker.