This post provides detailed information on the phone sales associate job description, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities they commonly perform.
It also highlights the major requirements that you may be expected to meet to be hired for the phone sales associate role by most recruiters/employers.
What Does a Phone Sales Associate Do?
A phone sales associate or representative is responsible for conducting outbound calls to prospective customers/clients applying various telecommunications methods such as automated dialing systems.
The phone sales associate job description entails delivering sales presentation and qualifying prospects to determine their suitability for programs.
The phone sales associate role also involves applying probing questions to effectively identify customers’ needs.
He/she has the training to identify possible objections customers might have against purchasing company products and close more sales; he/she is expected to achieve set daily, weekly, and monthly sales goals.
The phone sales representative’s work does not involve going door-to-door to reach prospective customers, but use the telephone.
His/her work description may involve conducting cold calls, that is, calling people who have not indicated interest in his/her company’s products to win them over, as well as answer calls from customers who are interest.
He/she must demonstrate patient with customers or prospects and should have a warm and pleasant personality that customers can feel over the phone.
To be successful in this job, part of the phone sales associate’s objectives must be to close a high percentage of leads/inbound calls for whatever product or service his/her company is offering.
His/her duties may also include creating contract and providing customers with quote; as well as ensuring timely follow up on leads that weren’t closed same day.
The phone sales representative may either be required to reach out to new customers and start a fresh account or to service an already existing account satisfactorily.
He/she may be provided with a list of products or services to sell or promote by his/her company and may also be required to follow certain scripts in responding to customers on the phone, as well as record responses from customers in company’s computer system.
The phone sales associate’s daily work tasks may include setting up an account for a customer that places an order and submitting the order on their behalf.
He/she may recommend relevant add-on products or services to both existing and new customers to complement the product or service they are already using or just ordered.
Phone Sales Associate Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Phone sales associates perform various functions in ensuring effective promotion and marketing of their company’s products and services using the telephone.
The sample job description presented below shows major phone sales associate duties, tasks, and responsibilities you may be expected to perform if hired for the role.
- Expand all newly established phone sales territories
- Perform cold call to potential clients/customers
- Develop personal book of business by preparing sales plan
- Generate significant number of phone leads from various sources
- Utilize regional call center in performing out bound calls
- Create and sustain cordial relationship with new customers
- Achieve minimum standards for sales quotas, quotes, and calls
- Improve revenue by penetrating to existing customer base
- Produce price and credit term quotes
- Utilize knowledge of company’s production and execute schedules in scheduling product installation date for customers
- Coordinate phone sales related training on customer acquisition, retention, etc. to new associates
- Apply computer database in logging different sales data for current customers, as well as for saving new customer information
- Ensure the development and maintenance of professional and mutually beneficial relationship with customers
- Perform investigation on conformance issues and resolve them promptly.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for Phone Sales Associate Role
To be hired for the phone sales associate role, employers generally expect applicants to possess certain skills, abilities, knowledge, etc.
You may not be expected to have previous work experience as a phone sales associate as it is an entry level one, with on-the-job training usually provided to new employees.
Given below are major requirements you may be expected to meet if you are seeking to work as a phone sales representative with most companies:
- Previous work experience in customer service or sales commonly preferred
- Possess minimum High School Diploma or its equivalent qualification; a college degree or relevant work history may be required for specialized calling roles such as selling insurance or financial products
- Strong customer service skill to effectively relate daily with customers
- Strong ability to sell products to customers on phone and close deals without having to meet them physically
- Strong self-confidence to improve meeting sales goals
- Effective communication skills to be able to retain and pass product and service information to customers, and develop strong relationships with customers from different backgrounds; different behaviors and expectations
- Strong ability to work under pressure and perform multiple tasks effectively without being overwhelmed
- Strong follow up skills to improve lead conversion
- Detail-oriented and self motivated individual
- Possess strong administrative, data entry, and computer skills.
If you are an employer needing to create a job description for hiring for the position of phone sales associate in your organization, the sample description provided in this post can be helpful.
Publishing a great description for the phone sales associate job will increase your chances of attracting the best qualified candidates for the role.
You will also find this post beneficial if you are seeking to get into the phone sales associate or representative career as it shows you the kind of work activities you will likely perform if hired for the position.