Field Sales Representative Job Description Example
What Does a Field Sales Representative Do?
Field sales representatives generally conduct sales of products and services by moving from location to location within a geographic territory to meet customers and sell them products.
Field sales representatives usually work for companies where their job description entails ensuring the extensive distribution and sale of products and services.
In performing their duties, field sales representatives travel to assigned locations to introduce/maintain product supply to target consumers and already existing clientele.
They contact clients and potential customers to discuss how available products/services will meet their requirements.
Usually they arrange meetings or visit clients at their homes or offices to convince them to purchase a product or to subscribe to a service.
Field sales representatives, in fulfilling their role provide elaborate description of product features/qualities to customers, highlighting the benefits of available features.
They provide clients with product price list and other relevant literature such as product reviews and statistics.
They also conduct price negotiations with clients on behalf of a company to reach a profitable bargain for both parties.
As part of their responsibilities, field sales representatives carry out survey of the industry to identify trends such as price of competing products, product demand and current merchandising.
They prepare and present to management regular reports on sales operations and generated revenue.
It is the duty of a field sales representative to develop and implement strategies for achieving and exceeding set sales targets.
Their work description also involves maintaining contact with clients to obtain customer feedback and discussing future business prospects.
They organize sales campaign to promote and create publicity for new products/services.
They also maintain accurate records of accounts, transactions, and general sales operation.
As part of their functions, field sales representatives assist clients with the installation/setup of procured products and may provide other required post-sales services.
They oversee the processing of client orders as well as the timely delivery of requested products.
They also ensure adherence to general business and company policies when conducting sales of products.
In fulfilling their role, field sales representatives attend educational programs and sales events to update existing job knowledge and expand personal network.
The field sales representative job doesn’t require much educational qualification to get into; with a high school diploma and a passion for sales, you can secure a field sales representative job.
To succeed in this role, some of the qualities you need to have include, communication and persuasion skills; as well as the ability to perform basic math operations.
Field Sales Representative Job Description Example/Template
The work of a field sales representative is important to the success of a sales department.
Here is a job description example that highlights the typical duties, tasks, and responsibilities that constitute the day-to-day activities of most sales representatives on the field:
- Travel to assigned locations to introduce/maintain product supply to target consumers and existing clientele
- Contact clients and potential customers to discuss how available products/services can meet their demands
- Arrange meetings and visit clients at their homes or offices to convince them to purchase a product or subscribe to a service
- Provide clients with an elaborate description of product features and qualities highlighting the benefits of available features
- Conduct price negotiations with clients on behalf of a company to reach a profitable bargain
- Provide customers with product price list and relevant literature such as product reviews and statistics
- Carry out survey of the sales industry to identify trends such as price of competing products, product demand, and current merchandising strategies
- Prepare and present to management regular reports on sales operations and generated revenue
- Develop and implement strategies for achieving and exceeding set sales targets
- Maintain contact with clients to obtain customer feedback and discuss future business prospects
- Organize sales campaign to promote and create publicity for new products/services
- Maintain accurate records of accounts, transactions and general sales operation
- Assist clients with the installation/setup of procured products and may provide other required post-sales services
- Oversee the processing of client orders to ensure timely delivery of products
- Ensure adherence to general business and company policies when conducting sales of products
- Attend educational programs and sales events to update existing job knowledge and expand personal network.
Field Sales Representative Resume Preparation
If you have a need to make a resume for the field sales representative job, you will need to have a section to emphasize your experience on the job if you have worked before in that role.
Having a section in your resume to talk about your previous experience of the position you are seeking helps to convince employers that you know exactly what the job requires of you and will be able to perform excellently well if hired.
You can use the field sales representative duties and responsibilities of the job description sample provided above to effectively create your work experience section.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for Field Sales Representative Job
Are you thinking of getting a field sales representative job? If you are, then here are the major requirements most employers will want you to satisfy before giving you an interview:
- Education and Training: The field sales representative job doesn’t require much formal education; with at least a high school diploma and an aptitude for sales you can be hired for the position. Sales recruits usually go through company training to gain understanding of sales activities
- Communication Skills: Field sales representatives are able to interact with customers using a suitable language to offer and conduct the sales of products or services
- Persuasion Skills: Fields sales reps are skilled in highlighting the benefits of a product as relate to the needs of a customer to influence purchase
- Math Skills: They are well versed in employing the knowledge of numbers in conducting negotiations and product sales.
Field Sales Representative Skills for Resume
Again, if you are making a resume for the field sales rep job, another section to have to improve the resume’s effectiveness is the skills section.
This is where you show employers the skills and qualities that you have to excel in performing the work description that will be handed to you.
You can make this section really powerful by ensuring that you have the required qualities stated above and then applying them in making your resume’s skills section.
Doing this will most likely get recruiters’ attention as it shows you have the qualities they expect field sales representatives to have to succeed on the job.
If you are gunning for the field sales representative job, you can use the above stated duties, tasks, and responsibilities to learn more about what they do, and to prepare well for the role, which will increase your chances of succeeding in it.
The sample field sales representative job description given above can also be applied by recruiters as a template in designing effective work description for hiring the best sales persons for the position and allocating duties to them.
Did this post help you in learning more about what field sales representatives do? Please share your thoughts as well as your job experience working as a field sales rep (if you are or have been one) in the box below.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.