This post provides detailed information on the job description of a line cook, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities they commonly perform.
What Does a Line Cook Do?
A line cook is someone who is responsible for preparing and seasoning various kinds of foods items, including vegetables, meats, and soups by following a prescribed recipe, with the aim of giving the customer an awesome service.
The job description of most line cooks entails determining food requirements, such as the variety and quantity of food to be prepared, by reviewing production schedule; and assembling of supplies and equipment required for cooking work.
The cook uses complete range of cooking methods in slicing, grinding, and cooking meats and vegetables, and also ensures the quality of foods being cooked by testing it.
His/her role will also include replenishing service line when necessary, and carving, and displaying meats, fruits, and vegetables.
He/she will promote safety culture in all areas in the work place, including food safety, customer safety, and the safety of team members.
To excel in the profession, the line cook must be committed to improving themselves by consistently acquiring knowledge of new methods of preparing foods and sharing it with customers and other team members.
Other duties the cook is usually expected to perform include attending to issues concerning food and equipment supplies, and detection and disposition of unattractive or spoiled foods and bad equipment or supplies.
He/she will ensure work environment, equipment, and utensils are cleaned.
He/she may also responsible for preparing special diets by following established standard.
The cook must have advanced quality knife skills to prepare food requirements needed for each day’s production, for the chef.
Line Cook Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Here is an example of the line cook job description, providing a list of major duties, tasks, and responsibilities of the job.
- Follow a given recipe and quality standard and prepare various food items, including vegetables, poultry, meats, and seafood for cooking using different methods and kitchen equipment such as oven, broilers, fryers and grills
- Stock and manage assigned food station(s) and ensure quality of food served
- Physically inspect and see all food sent from the kitchen and make requisitions for food items and supplies that are needed
- Understand and adhere to company’s policies and processes, cooking methods, standard portion sizes, and kitchen rules and quality standards
- Ensure sufficient amount of food products are stocked and maintained at line stations to facilitate hitch-free service period
- Ensure food products are portioned before cooking by following standard portion sizes and recipe that have been specified
- Ensure work station area, including shelves, tables, grills fryers, pasta, broilers, cookers convection oven, sauté burners, refrigeration equipment, and flat top range are kept cleaned and sanitized always following safety and sanitation policies and processes of the company
- Keep to proper garnish set up and plate presentation for every dish
- Keep food servers informed of ticket times, and attend to orders from guests promptly and efficiently and with a friendly attitude
- Properly store, rotate, and manage all food products following local, state, federal, and company guidelines and procedures
- Help out in food prep tasks during off-peak periods when needed
- Ensure proper closure of kitchen by following kitchen stations’ closing checklist; also, help others to close the kitchen
- Participate in and make suggestions for improvement at employee meetings
- Carry out other duties assigned by the manager on duty or the kitchen manager
Line Cook Job Description for Resume
The sample line cook job description shown above can be used in making a resume for the position. The description highlights important functions and responsibilities that a line cook performs, which can be utilized in completing the work experience part of the resume that shows the resume owner’s experience and competence for the job.
A detailed sample resume is provided here, which you can study to make your resume for the position: how to write line cook resume, with example.
Line Cook Requirement: Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge for Career Success
The following are important requirements, including skills, knowledge, and abilities needed to succeed on the job as a line cook, which are usually demanded by employers when hiring:
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and stressful environment without losing composure
- Professional cooking skills: The cook must have a strong knowledge of professional cooking practice, including handling knifes and ensuring safety of food, team members, and customers
- Knowledge of recipe: He/she must have a strong knowledge of recipe to be able to prepare varieties of food using different methods
- Possession of knowledge of federal, state, and local regulations and processes relating to food preparation and safety
- Possess High School Diploma
- Possess state approved food handlers certification
- Good communication skills: The line cook must be able to pass ideas and information clearly to colleagues, food servers, customers, and management without being misunderstood
- Analytical skills: The cook must be able to analyze several contending options in the course of work and make the best decision as quickly as possible
Please share: If you enjoy this page, please share it with friends on Facebook, Twitter, and other social media platforms.
Use of this material: The line cook job description sample provided on this page is free for use as a template to follow in making job descriptions. It can also be published on websites with a linkback to this page.