Kitchen Equipment Technician Job Description, Duties, and Responsibilities
What Does a Kitchen Equipment Technician Do?
Kitchen equipment technicians are responsible for maintaining, modifying, troubleshooting, and repairing a large inventory of electric and gas commercial kitchen equipment and appliances.
The kitchen equipment technician’s job description entails fielding, prioritizing, and carrying out service support requests by in-person inspections and from an online work order system.
He/she performs end-user interactions frequently with dinning-staff requiring advice on equipment operation or status.
His/her role also involves assisting in major repairs and upgrades, and participating in large-scale maintenance duties as part of the dinning team.
The kitchen equipment technician’s responsibilities also include carrying out the documentation of procedures, processes, and best practices in on-plan sets and end-user manuals, or modifying what has previously been documented.
He/she is also responsible for performing preventative maintenance as well as scheduled predictive maintenance checks following manufacturers’ recommendation or/and as assigned.
The technician also provides on-site support during special events as well as during off hours, holidays, and weekends.
His/her work description also entails swiftly correcting unsafe conditions in work places and bringing to the supervisor’s attention any non-correctable condition noticed.
It also involves installing new equipment, repairing leaks, maintaining settings on wiring controls, and replacing defective or old parts.
It is also the kitchen technician’s duty to maintain inventory, as well as to ensure that tools and equipment are properly maintained.
Kitchen Equipment Technician Job Description Example/Sample/Template
The kitchen equipment technician performs various functions to keep the activities of commercial kitchens running smoothly.
If you are looking to work as a kitchen equipment technician, here are major tasks, duties, and responsibilities that commonly make up the job description of the role:
- Perform repairs and maintenance duties on a wide variety of kitchen and refrigeration equipment such as walk-in freezers, industrial-sized steam cookers, refrigerators, ice machines, washers, ovens, dryers, dishwashers, and water coolers.
- Carry out periodic inspection, cleaning, and equipment servicing
- Log into the work order management system to find, accept, and complete the work requests
- Carry out installation of new equipment; perform repairs on leaks; ensure settings o wiring controls; change equipment parts that have become old or defective
- Collaborate with other maintenance workers, company’s officials, and staff to effectively provide solutions to maintenance problems
- Attend quickly to emergency call on equipment repair issues, as well as to after work hour calls
- Perform other duties the supervisor may assign.
Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities – for Kitchen Equipment Technician Role
If you are applying for the kitchen equipment technician job, there are certain qualities, skills, abilities, knowledge, etc., that most employers look for in candidates, which help them to decide if applicants can succeed on the job or not.
Now, here are typical requirements you may have to meet for most employers to consider your application:
- Profound knowledge of how various types of kitchen and refrigeration equipment work
- Outstanding soldering and blazing skills, applying oxygen/propane
- Strong ability to read and comprehend wiring diagrams, and to follow manuals on operation and installation to successful complete tasks
- Strong ability to apply various types of equipment safely and efficiently, and to maintain and service them
- Exceptional ability to work independently without direct supervision and take responsibility for the repair of assigned equipment
- Strong ability to prioritize assigned tasks for increased job delivery
- Exceptional ability to properly investigate problems with food equipment, discover the issue, and correct it
- Ability to work in a team setting with other maintenance workers, and also with staff and members of the public
- Strong ability to quickly understand and carry out both written and oral instructions effectively
- Strong keyboarding and basic computer skills
- Possess refrigerant transition and recovery certification
- Repair and maintenance experience in the commercial kitchen or dinning service field
- Strong knowledge of plumbing repair and installation practice and procedure
- Strong knowledge of basic electrical practice, theory, and safety
- Strong knowledge of the fundamental of commercial refrigeration practice and theory.
If you are an employer looking to hire a kitchen equipment technician and need to create a good description for the role, the sample job description provided in this post can help you make one quickly.
Publishing a detailed description of the role will enable intending applicants to properly assess the job to decide if they have what it takes to succeed in it. You will therefore be able to attract the best kitchen technicians to your company.
This article is also helpful to job seekers who are interested in the kitchen technician career to learn about the duties and responsibilities of the job.
Did this post help you to understand what kitchen equipment technicians do? Please, share your thought about this article in the comment box below. And if you work as a technician in a commercial kitchen, do share your job description too.