IT Program Manager Job Description, Duties, and Responsibilities
What Does an IT Program Manager Do?
An Information Technology (IT) program manager can be described as someone whose responsibility is to oversee and/or supervise the activities of professionals that are involved in diverse projects in the field of Information Technology (or systems).
The job description of an IT program manager typically involves coordinating a wide range of activities and initiatives in a bid to attain or achieve certain organizational targets or goals.
This role is one that lays huge emphasis on the need for top-notch business management skills and technical know-how.
It is important to note that while an IT project manager focuses on a particular line of action or initiative, the program manager organizes a range of actions or initiatives.
That is to say that the major difference between an IT project manager and an IT program manager is the fact that the latter coordinates and/or supervises the activities of a team of the former in a bid to achieve a particular objective.
Program managers usually work hand-in-hand with the senior or top-most management team of a particular organization so as to organize and set an all-encompassing strategy/formula that covers a group of projects (that are normally inter-related).
This is done in a bid to make sure that the result of each project is in line with the general objective(s) of the firm.
It is the duty of the IT program manager to make sure that the different project managers know and understand the organization’s general objective(s) and the need for each separate project to be executed in line with this/these (the general objective) goals.
The IT program manager’s work description also entails making sure that the different project teams have the necessary and/or required resources they need for the timely and efficient execution of their individual projects.
Program managers make sure that activities that lead to the attainment of the organization’s general objective(s) are well prioritized at all times.
They communicate frequently with project managers so as to be abreast with the progress of each individual project, providing necessary updates and feedbacks with regards to changes or adjustments in general objectives or re-prioritizing.
IT Program Manager Job Description Example/Sample/Template
An IT program manager usually partakes in a wide range of functions in a bid to ensure a smooth coordination of projects under his/her supervision. These activities are carried out with respect to the organization’s general objectives.
Below is a sample job description that shows major tasks, duties, and responsibilities of an IT program manager in most organizations:
- Oversee the activities of the different project teams that are meant to work towards achieving a common purpose
- Make sure that project execution plans are established and executed
- Review and/or approve adjustments in project outlays
- Schedule and oversee meetings that have to do with IT projects
- Administer and manage annual budgets for the execution of different IT projects
- Make sure that whatever IT project being executed is carried out according to required standards
- Assign duties and areas of authority to different IT project managers
- Monitor and evaluate the performances of different project managers and their teams
- Oversee the recruitment of required qualified persons that will work in each project team.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for the Role of an IT Program Manager
A typical IT program manager ideally possesses a certain range of skills, abilities, and qualifications that enable him/her to thrive in such a role.
If you are seeking to work as a program manager in an IT environment, here are typical requirements you should expect from employers:
- Must be able to communicate fluently and clearly too
- Excellent interpersonal and people skills are a must-have attribute for this role
- Must have good leadership qualities at all times
- Strong ability to work within a team setting and excel
- Good coordinating and organizational abilities
- Ability to prioritize and display a high level of adaptability/flexibility while handling job responsibilities
- Good decision-making ability is needed too
- A degree in Computer Science or any related field of study is required
- Possess a solid background in IT project management
- Relevant work experience in a similar role.
The job description above is a direct example of what the duties and responsibilities of an IT program manager entail in virtually all ramifications.
It will definitely serve as a clear guide to employers who seek to hire qualified persons for the role, in making a detailed description of the position for their organizations.
This will increase their chances of receiving applications from the best qualified persons for the IT program manager job.
This post will also help individuals interested in starting a career in the Information Technology field to learn all they need to know about what IT program managers do so they can better prepare themselves ahead for the job.
Did this article help you to learn more about the duties and responsibilities of program managers in an IT unit? Do share your view of this post in the comment box below. You may also share your job description if you work as an IT program manager in your organization.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.