This post presents detailed information on the job description of an IT account manager, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities they typically perform.
What Does an IT Account Manager Do?
An IT account manager is an individual who works for an IT organization and is saddled with the responsibility of managing a company’s relationship with customers.
The IT account manager job description involves managing the daily running of customer’s account, including handling of company’s relationship with both internal and external customers, utilizing Information Technology as tool towards better service delivery.
They oversee the IT need of the organization relating to customer services.
They equally play a vital role in the sale and marketing arm of the organization, with sales representation being a minute aspect of their job description, since they have to go beyond that with the inclusion of holistic management of relationship between company and customer.
The account manager in charge of IT is usually allotted space in customer-facing departments in most companies, as this gives assurance that customers will be readily accorded with top standard service.
IT companies usually assign particular customer to an account manager and this lays the foundation for long terms working relationship with the customer’s portfolio.
Account managers for IT have the responsibility of understanding the demands of the customer and meeting these demands towards generating huge sales for the organization.
They are required to maintain the existing relationship between a client or group of clients and the company, to ensure the customer continues to transact business with the company.
They are also expected to meet deadlines for the client’s account, irrespective of how tasking the job is.
The IT account manager works in major commercial organizations, namely IT marketing departments, direct IT marketing agencies and consultancies, and so on.
Their services are needed in both large and small organizations, be it governmental, retail, financial, or corporate organizations, so long as such organization requires individuals with IT skills for clients account management.
Their job descriptions are determined by the business nature and size of the organization, as well as the particular industry requiring their skills. Customers’ accounts vary in terms of demands imposed by individual accounts.
The IT account manager may have to work alongside the brand manager for a particular account. He can equally work at any level of the organization, be it territory, district or divisional, depending on where IT account management skill is needed.
He/she can as well be the national or global IT account manager, depending solely on level of experience and discretion of the organization top management.
IT Account Manager Job Description Example/Sample/Template
The IT account manager performs a number of tasks, duties, and responsibilities for the company they work for as shown below in the job description example for the position:
- Maintain and establish business relationship between the company and its customers (both internal and external)
- Develop company’s IT projects to meet adequately all business needs of the assigned customers
- Ensure all IT initiatives relating to customer services are met timely enough
- Ensure all IT projects are streamlined towards prescribed budget
- Lead other IT members of staff in actualizing company’s goal towards better service delivery
- Oversee and manage activities of other IT staff members to ensure all work in line with laid down procedures outlined by the organization
- Report activities directly to the agency director or IT account director, regarding the status of any client-related transaction
- Advocate the needs and expectations of the client to ensure compliance by top management towards achieving customer satisfaction, which is the sole goal of the organization.
- Work with IT product development team to ensure compliance with customer’s expectations
- Ensure that product portfolio gives reflection of ever-changing needs of the clients
- Coordinate technical support teams to provide varieties in customers’ products
- Streamline maintenance, user supports, training, installations, and solution design towards satisfaction of clients’ needs
IT Account Manager Job Description for Resume
To enhance your application for the job of IT account manager you will need to present a good resume to employers.
You can use the sample job description provided above to prepare certain sections of the resume, including the work experience section.
The job description provides the relevant duties and responsibilities to create such sections.
IT Account Manager Requirements: Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
The IT account manager is usually required by most employers to have the following skills, knowledge, and abilities for productive performance on the job:
- Bachelor’s degree in information technology, marketing, business, or other related fields, including six to eight years working experience in any of the fields
- Working experience in IT media studies or marketing, depending on nature of account to be managed
- Familiarity with a number of IT field concepts, procedures, and practices
- Ability to plan and successfully accomplish company’s goals
- Possess latitude and creativity in handling customers’ accounts
- Ability to relate with customers, top management and junior staff members in the IT department and across other departments
- Ability to manage more than one IT account at the same time as dictated by the company’s requirements at any particular time
- Ability to maximize all business opportunities relating to each customer, like sales and marketing campaigns, resource requirements, and revenue forecasts
The above skills and attributes can also be incorporated in making a resume for the position.