This post presents detailed information on the job description of a strategic account manager, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities they commonly perform.
What Does a Strategic Account Manager Do?
The strategic account manager is required by an organization to expand and adequately maintain good business relationship between the organization and its large number of customers.
His/her job description entails helping clients get top class services and maximum benefits from their investments in the organization.
His/her role also includes making known the ideals, as well as the products of the company to clients, capitalizing on his/her close official relationship with them.
The goal of any company is to satisfy the expectations of strategically important customers, and the strategic account manager serves as the link between the firm and the customers towards achieving that goal.
Strategic account managers are required to build solid business relationship between the customers and the company.
They are given the responsibility to penetrate the accounts of the customer at all subsidiaries and levels.
They assume the duty of trusted advisors on the products and services of the organization and must educate clients on ways in which such products and services would benefit them.
The major goal of any business organization is to achieve unequaled customer satisfaction, and the account manager is required to play a strategic role in this; he/she needs to have complete understanding of the needs of the clients to play this strategic role.
An individual account manager is only saddled with the responsibility of managing maximum of five customers at a time to ensure appropriate fulfillment of customers’ expectations.
He/she is expected to lead the accounts planning cycle of assigned customers and to also ensure the customers have their expectations and needs satisfactorily met by the organization.
He/she is required to report directly to top management, especially the Vice President of Strategic Accounts of the company.
Conclusively, the strategic account manager acts as the coordinator, connector, and influencer to enable the organization attract the right sets of professionals, and at the right time, to attain better service delivery to the client.
The organization would want to build trust with the client and the account manager is saddled with the responsibility of ensuring this.
Strategic Account Manager Job Description Example/Sample/Template
The strategic account manager is required to carry out certain tasks and duties in the organization and he/she is usually expected to execute the following job description example in most firms:
- Institute highly productive, as well as exceptionally professional relationships between the strategic account section and key personnel of the organization in specific assigning of customer accounts
- Appropriately coordinate company personnel involvement in strategic account management, especially in service and support resources, to ensure account performance objective of the company is met and to ensure complete customer satisfaction
- Fulfill any number of assigned targets to ensure volume of sales is at profitable level
- Ensure assigned accounts meet with company’s strategic objective
- Properly validate, clarify, and assess needs of customers on an ongoing basis
- Spearhead the effort of the company in solution development to ensure customers’ needs are properly addressed
- Fulfill the assigned quota of sales earlier designated on any strategic account
- Achieve the expectations for complete profitability on the assigned accounts
- Ensure the customer holds the company in high esteem, which is depicted by high customer’s satisfaction ratings
- Work with other members of staff like service resources staff members, implementation resources experts, sales specialists, and varieties of other management and sales experts in the organization
- Liaise with those at Customer Service department for complete fulfillment of customer satisfaction and to effect quick problem resolution
- Coordinate executives of the company and their contributions to customer management
- Conclude with company objectives on assigned accounts within the time stipulated
Strategic Account Manager Job Description for Resume
A resume for the job of strategic account manager can be made by applying information in the sample job description for the position presented above.
The duties and responsibilities of the position listed in the job description sample can be used in completing the job professional experience section of the resume.
Strategic Account Manager Requirements: Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
Here are important abilities, knowledge, and skills a strategic account manager is expected to possess to be adequately productive in service delivery as demanded by most companies:
- Bachelor’s degree at the end of four years college training from any institution accredited to provide the related training
- Seven to ten years of working experience in strategy sales and account management, which must have been in sales related environment
- High level of Personal Computer proficiency
- Ability to cope with extensive traveling
- Success in background check performed by the company
- High level of inter-personal relationship and good communication skills, both in written and verbal
- Ability to meet up with targets within stipulated time period
- Membership of related organizations gives added advantage
- Good knowledge and understanding of a number of business-related software
- Desire to perform in rather flexible working environment
The skills and attributes stated above can also be used in the skills section of the strategic account manager resume.