Logistics and Supply Chain Manager Job Description, Duties and Responsibilities
This post discusses the job description of a logistics and supply chain manager to give you a strong understanding of what they do.
It highlights the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that typically make up the logistics and supply chain manager work description in most organizations.
It also gives the requirements most recruiters would want prospective candidates for the logistics and supply chain manager job to fulfill to be able to access it.
Please, read on to learn more about the logistics and supply chain manager career:
What Does a Logistics and Supply Chain Manager Do?
A logistics and supply chain manager is responsible for planning and controlling the activities of a company, as well as coordinating between his/her company and other companies in order to ensure the right goods or products are delivered in the right quantities, to the right customer, at the right time, and according to the right price.
In other words, a logistics and supply chain manager is responsible for developing and designing strategies for supply chain, and coming up with methods to plan and control goods and information flow in a supply chain.
In the process of disseminating his/her duties, the major responsibilities of a logistics and supply chain manager revolve around taking full ownership for the security, storage, and the internal distribution of products, ensuring that planning functions are managed efficiently and materials are available when required.
He/she takes an effective and efficient approach to the overall improvement and development of warehousing, distribution, and all planning activities.
The logistics and supply chain manager job description also entails managing work schedules, overseeing stock control, and processing orders; planning future capacity requirements, and working closely with all areas of the supply chain to ensure effective service delivery for production, while also recognizing the crucial parts that suppliers and sub-contractors play in delivering business objectives, and having a good knowledge of the tools, techniques, or processes for selecting and managing vendors.
In addition, logistics and supply chain managers must have good knowledge of inspection and expediting activities that are necessary for fulfilling project expedition plans, and also implement cost reduction principles in all aspects of warehousing and transaction activities.
A logistics and supply chain manager must also comply with health, safety, and legal requirements by keeping up with the standards of health and safety, ensuring that all working practices follow a safe system of work, and ensuring that all documentation is up to date.
In terms of academic qualifications, candidates who are interested in working as a logistics and supply chain manager are required to be equipped with a sound educational background by possessing a Bachelor’s degree in Logistics and Distribution or in a related field, or a certificate from Chattered Institute of Purchasing and Supply.
Logistics and Supply Chain Management Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Logistics and supply chain managers perform various functions in ensuring effective and efficient supply chain management in an organization.
Shown below are major duties, tasks, and responsibilities that commonly make up the logistics and supply chain manager job description:
- Implementing cost reduction principles in all aspects of warehousing transaction and service transportation activities
- Ensuring that sub-contractors are effectively managed and reviewed
- Ensuring that all objectives, instructions, and directions from the operations manager are successfully achieved
- Supporting and participating in the process related to supply chain management activities, including a proactive contribution to win strategies
- Selecting, negotiating, and implementing supply orders in accordance with the right policy and procedures as stated by the organization’s standard suite of conditions
- Ensuring that goods are delivered in the right quantities, to the right customer, and at the right time
- Undertaking the full review and development of warehouse systems and procedures
- Ensuring that materials are available at all times, especially when required, and that planning functions are effectively and efficiently managed
- Monitoring and overseeing the maintenance and well-being of stores vehicles, machinery, and all other equipment
- Implementing the tools or techniques that are related to logistics and supply chain management processes for a more effective and easier job
- Ensuring that all documentation is accurate and up-to-date.
Logistics and Supply Chain Manager Job Description for Resume
If you have worked before as a logistics and supply chain manager or are currently holding the position and need to make a new resume for another job, you will need to add the professional experience section to your resume.
This section provides information about your previous work experience to the recruiter.
You can make this section for your resume by using the logistics and supply chain manager duties contained in the job description example above.
Logistics and Supply Chain Manager Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
If you are seeking the job of a logistics and supply chain manager, you should expect to fulfill certain requirements to qualify for hiring.
To attract the best candidates who can effectively carry out the obligations, purpose, and objectives of the logistics and supply chain manager role, recruiters generally give a list of requirements interested individuals must meet to be hired.
Shown below are major requirements you may be expected to fulfill if you are applying for the logistics and supply chain manager job:
- Well developed oral and written communication skills to efficiently communicate at all levels within the organization. This also helps a logistics and supply chain manager to develop and maintain effective relationships with the planning and purchasing departments to ensure effective communication of key messages
- Being an effective team player with the ability to influence individuals and teams to achieve desired goals and objectives
- Ability to work with own initiative with a strategic approach to challenges, and the ability to take a systematic approach to daily operations
- Sound knowledge of the systems available to support the supply chain management functions
- High computer literacy skills which involve bring familiar with Microsoft packages and other important software.
If you are a recruiter or HR manager needing to hire for the logistics and supply chain manager position in your company, you will need to inform prospective candidates the kind of duties and responsibilities the successful candidate will perform.
You can do this by publishing a detailed description of the vacant logistics and supply chain manager job.
The sample job description provided above will be helpful in making the perfect description of the available logistics and supply chain manager position in your company.
The information provided in this article is also useful to individuals interested in the logistics and supply chain manager career for them to increase their knowledge of the job.
Did this article help you understand what logistics and supply chain managers do? Please, make a comment in the box below. You can also share your job description if you work as a logistics and supply chain manager.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.