Home Depot Customer Service Associate Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
This post helps you learn what the customer service associate job description is at the Home Depot.
It highlights the common duties, tasks, and responsibilities that you will be expected to perform at the Home Depot if you work as a customer service associate.
You will also learn about the requirements that qualify an applicant for the customer service associate role at the Home Depot, as well as the expected salary you will receive if hired.
Please, read on:
What does a Customer Service Associate do at Home Depot?
The customer service associate at the Home Depot provides excellent service to customers by greeting them upon entering the store; engaging them in conversation while moving them towards their destination within the store, and thanking them when they leave.
He/she assists more complex transactions with locating products for customers and uses scanners to gather product information.
Some product locations may be changed with rotating inventory.
The customer service associate at the Home Depot follows procedures for price changes and new products.
His/her job description also involves answering customers’ questions about products, installation of products, the store’s layout and promotions and other general inquiries.
He/she may require a solid understanding of a variety of topics, including but not limited to: customer service, installation of home improvement products, the store’s layout and return/exchange policies.
His/her duties also entails up-selling customers on additional products or services by demonstrating how to use new items purchased, installing them for customers if necessary, and suggesting complementary items that may be needed for any given project.
The Home Depot customer service associate is also responsible for monitoring stock levels of products to ensure customers are able to locate desired items.
If an item is out of stock, the customer service associate will offer the customer alternatives.
The customer service associate at the Home Depot uses computers to enter inventory information for products or services sold so it can be tracked by location in the store.
He/she will quit recording when product/service has been sold, and will check other computer screens to verify that all sales have been entered.
It is also part of the Home Depot customer service associate’s work description to request customers to provide their contact information for use by the next available associate with knowledge of items customers are looking for.
He/she is to follow up with customers via telephone or email as necessary.
His/her tasks also involve entering customer’s names and addresses into computers as directed by signage or personal preference.
He/she assists customers with loading large or heavy purchases into vehicles and provide wheelchairs as needed.
He/she answers phones, responds to e-mails from the website, resolves customer complaints and provides assistance in parking lots with loading and unloading cars
He/she suggest services to customers, including upgrades to their purchase and assist customers with shopping for products in the store
Customer service associates at the Home Depot handle same day deliveries, process customer returns and exchanges, as well as assist in installation of large products
They run cash registers when needed and assist with in-store promotions and events, in addition to interrupting in-store traffic flow to provide direction or information.
They greet customers in a friendly manner at all times, resolve escalated customer complaints in a timely manner and answer phone calls from unhappy customers within an hour of receiving them.
Their duties also involves organizing the department when needed, loading and unloading trucks when necessary and assisting customers in locating product throughout the store.
Home Depot Customer Service Associate Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Here are major duties, tasks, and responsibilities that commonly make up the Home Depot customer service associate job description:
- Helping customers with items in their carts by ascertaining product availability, alerting customer service if they need assistance, and answering any questions about how to use products from your team’s areas of expertise
- Locating product inventory in the warehouse or on store shelves for customers
- Using a scanner to scan inventory into a computer system
- Checking prices and discounts with a cashier to ascertain the most accurate total cost for a customer
- Scanning reusable bags at the check-out counter each time a customer purchases an item
- Providing detailed logging of store activities
- Participating in team activities at your assigned location
- Filling out reports and following up on variances during the shift
- Adhering to company policy and ensuring customer safety is at the forefront throughout daily tasks.
Home Depot Customer Service Associate Requirements: Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Here are major requirements you may be expected to meet up with to be hired for the role of a customer service associate at the Home Depot and be effective on the job:
- Ability to assist a diverse customer base through the use of excellent communication and sales skills
- High school diploma with experience in a customer service role
- Thorough understanding of computers and basic computer programs such as Microsoft Outlook and Word and Excel
- Experience with inventory-related software a plus
- Ability to work flexible shifts, including nights, weekends, and holidays based on business needs
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time, lift up to 30lbs., climb ladders and safely operate power tools
- Ability to frequently push/pull 80lbs or more in carts stacked with products
- Prior cashier, team member, retail environment, or customer service experience in a retail environment
- Knowledge of stock keeping units (SKUs) is helpful.
Home Depot Customer Service Associate Salary
According to salary.com, the average hourly wage for a customer service associate at companies like Home Depot Inc. in the United States is $12 ($23 400 per annum) but this can vary widely depending on many important factors such as education and certifications or additional skills you might possess.
This post is helpful to individuals interested in working with the Home Depot as a customer service associate; they will be able to learn about the duties and responsibilities associated with the role.
It is also helpful to companies similar to Home Depot who are seeking to hire competent individuals for the customer service associate role.
They can apply the sample customer service associate job description provided on this page in making one for their companies to find the right person for the role.