Helper Electrician Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
This post provides exhaustive information on the helper electrician job description, to help you learn what they do.
It highlights the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that commonly make up the helper electrician work description.
It also presents the major requirements you may be expected to fulfill by recruiters/employers if you are seeking the helper electrician role.
Please, continue reading to increase your knowledge of the helper electrician career:
What Does a Helper Electrician Do?
A helper electrician is responsible for assisting senior electricians with basic electrical systems installation, repair, and maintenance.
He/she is also saddled with the responsibility of assisting with the execution of plans of electrical wiring for well-functioning lighting, intercom, and a variety of other electrical systems.
In other words, a helper electrician refers to one whose profession is to execute more routine tasks of the electrical trade while taking directions from or under the supervision of the senior electrician.
A helper electrician is responsible for assisting with electrical installation, troubleshooting, and maintenance, and reading and interpreting technical drawings and specs.
Some of the duties that may be executed by a helper electrician include installing electrical apparatus, fixtures and/or equipment, handling the installation of safety and distribution components, and carrying out effective troubleshooting to identify hazards or malfunctions
In the process of carrying out their duties, helper electricians are expected to carry out a wide range of core tasks in theirr day-to-day activities.
One of the core tasks that are carried out by a helper electrician is to ensure that electrical installations are complete, which involves working closely with the supervising electrician to install electrical equipment, systems, and controls, such as electrical wiring, circuit breakers, and lighting fixtures.
He/she is also saddled with the responsibility of closely observing and assisting the senior electrician by taking instructions from them and efficiently and effectively carrying out other relevant duties that are assigned to him/her.
It is also the duty of a helper electrician to oversee the management and maintenance of tools and inventory, which involves ensuring that all materials are on-site and available during the project and ensuring that electrical parts and materials are organized and transported to the supervising electrician as needed.
A helper electrician may also be required to prepare and clean the workspace for the senior electrician prior to the beginning of a project, and removing unused materials, dust, and dirt as required.
Also, the job role/position of a helper electrician is most suitable for individuals that possess certain skills and qualities.
Some of the required skills and qualities to work in the helper electrician role include excellent verbal and written communication skills, excellent time management skills, and good teamwork skills.
Others are good decision-making skills, ability to pay particular attention to detail, and good listening skill, and excellent problem-solving skills; dexterity, good physical strength and stamina, and good organizational skills.
In terms of academic qualifications, the ideal candidate for the helper electrician job is expected to have at least a High School diploma or GED.
Helper Electrician Salary: The average salary for a helper electrician, according to Payscale, is $31,083 annually.
Helper Electrician Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Helper electricians perform the duties, tasks, and responsibilities:
- Providing assistance to senior electricians with basic electrical systems installation, repair, and maintenance
- Assisting with the execution of plans of electrical wiring for well-functioning lighting, intercom, and a variety of other electrical systems
- Preventing the breakdown of systems by routinely inspecting and replacing old wiring and insulated cables and cleaning circuits
- Helping with electrical installation, troubleshooting, and maintenance, and reading and interpreting technical drawings and specs, as well as the knowledge to carry out required hookups and connections
- Ensuring that all materials are on-site and available during the project and ensuring that electrical parts and materials are organized and transported to the supervising electrician as needed
- Handling the planning of layout and installation of wiring and fixtures under the supervision of the senior electrician
- Prepare and clean workspace for the senior electrician prior to the beginning of a project, and removing unused materials, dust, and dirt as required
- Logging activities and testing results.
Helper Electrician Job Description for Resume
If you are writing a new resume or CV and have worked before as a helper electrician or are presently working in that role, you can improve the quality of your resume by showing that experience in it.
That means, you should include the professional experience section in your resume/CV to show that you have been successful performing the duties and responsibilities of a helper electrician.
This information in your resume can influence the recruiter/employer to grant you an interview, especially if the new job that you are seeking requires having some work experience as a helper electrician.
You can create an effective professional experience section for your resume or CV by applying the sample helper electrician job description shown above.
Helper Electrician Requirements – Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities for Career Success
If you are seeking the helper electrician job, here are major requirements most employers/recruiters may want you to meet to be hired:
- Good color vision to be able to distinguish between different wires based on their colors
- Good listening skills to be able to effectively follow instructions and directions accordingly
- Excellent problem-solving skills to be able to perform effective troubleshooting to identify hazards or malfunctions
- Dexterity to be able to handle tools to facilitate work
- Good physical strength and stamina to be able to work effectively in a hazardous and uncomfortable environment such as attics, basements, and rooftops
- Several years of professional and/or proven-work experience in a similar job role/position
- Possess at least a High School diploma or General Education diploma, since formal education is not a requirement.
This post is useful to individuals interested in the helper electrician job; they will be able to learn all they need to know about the duties and responsibilities of the job to be able to succeed in it when hired.
This will help them to effectively prepare for the helper electrician job ahead of being hired.
This post is equally useful to recruiters/employers needing to find and hire the best candidates for the helper electrician role in their organizations.
They can apply the sample helper electrician job description provided on this page in making a detailed description of the vacant helper electrician position for use in their hiring process.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.