Hadoop Developer Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
This article presents complete information of the job description of a Hadoop developer to help you learn what they do.
It gives the key tasks, duties, and responsibilities that majorly define the Hadoop developer work description in most organizations.
This post also presents the major requirements recruiters will want applicants for the Hadoop developer job to meet to be qualified to access the vacant position.
Please, continue reading to increase your knowledge of the Hadoop developer career:
What Does a Hadoop Developer Do?
A Hadoop developer is responsible for coding Hadoop applications. His/her role is similar to that of a software or application developer.
The Hadoop developer job description includes writing programs that conform to particular system designs, identifying and understanding problems that are related to the processing and storage of data, and working to come up with solutions, suggestions, or recommendations; and sketching and designing along with strong documenting skills.
It also involves defining job flows, maintaining and reviewing Hadoop log files, and handling cluster coordination services with the use of relevant tools such as Zookeeper; managing Hadoop jobs through the scheduler, supporting programs such as MapReduce that run on the Hadoop cluster.
In essence, a Hadoop developer is responsible for coding and developing Hadoop applications in order to effectively and efficiently process and store unlimited data of the various business activities and formats of an organization.
What is Hadoop?
Hadoop is an open-source software framework that is used to store data and run applications on clusters of commodity hardware.
Hadoop performs the function of providing massive storage for any kind of data, and it has enormous processing power and the ability to handle virtually unlimited concurrent tasks or jobs.
Hadoop is majorly used by a Hadoop developer because it enables him/her to store and process limitless amount of huge kinds of data on time, provide and implement more computing or processing power, and protect data and application processing against hardware failure; store and process data in a flexible manner, store large quantities of data at low cost, and scale or grow his/her system to handle more data by simply adding nodes.
Becoming a Hadoop Developer
To become a Hadoop developer, individuals are required to demonstrate and possess certain skills or abilities, such as the ability to write reliable, organized, manageable, and high-performance code; sound knowledge of the concepts of Hadoop, familiarity with Hadoop ecosystem and its components, and good analytical and problem-solving skills.
In terms of academic qualifications, no formal education background is required to work as a Hadoop developer.
However, it is necessary for the individual to be computer literate and possess a certification that indicates his/her many years of working experience as a computer programmer.
Hadoop Developer Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Hadoop developers perform various functions in ensuring efficient and effective coding of Hadoop applications.
The typical job description of a Hadoop developer is made up of the following duties, tasks, and responsibilities:
- Examining, analyzing, or transforming stored data by writing MapReduce or Pig jobs based on business requirements
- Leading, monitoring, and overseeing the installation and setup of Hadoop
- Liaising and working cooperatively with the IT department in installing production cluster such as CDH, and helping with the commissioning and decommissioning of the data node
- Participating in multiple big data projects to evaluate various architectures, tools, and vendor products
- Working on the analysis of various datasets that are related to retail and financial industries
- Handling and overseeing the accurate documentation of day to day tasks
- Configuring the Hadoop properties and tools in order to achieve high performance
- Overseeing the documentation, design, development, and architecture of Hadoop applications
- Ensuring and maintaining adequate security and privacy of data
- Analyzing and converting difficult and complex techniques as well as functional requirements into organized and detailed designs
- Performing or handling cluster coordination services through Zookeeper, an application that coordinates distributed processing.
Hadoop Developer Job Description for Resume
If you have worked before as a Hadoop developer or are presently working in that role and are now writing a resume for a new job, you will have to add the professional or job experience section to your resume to inform the recruiter that you have the necessary experience for the available position.
You can effectively describe your working experience as a Hadoop developer in your resume by applying the duties of the role in the above job description example.
Hadoop Developer Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Experience for Career Success
If you are seeking the Hadoop developer job with a company, you will be needed to meet certain requirements to be able to access the position with most recruiters.
This is to prove to recruiters that you can effectively carry out the obligations, purpose, and objectives of the Hadoop developer position and succeed in your career.
Shown below are major requirements individuals seeking the Hadoop developer job may be expected to fulfill to be hired:
- High problem-solving and analytical skills
- Strong documenting skills
- Ability to deal with data loading tools like Flume, a software that collects, aggregates and moves large amounts of streaming data into HDFs, and Sqoop, a software that moves data between Hadoop and relational databases
- Sound and adequate knowledge of database principles, practices, structures, and theories
- Computer literacy skills and several years of professional experience as a programmer
- Ability to write and compile reliable, readable, manageable, and high-performance code.
If you are a recruiter or HR manager needing to hire for the Hadoop developer position in your company and need to make a detailed description of the role available to prospective candidates, this post will be helpful to you.
The Hadoop developer duties and responsibilities highlighted in the above job description will help you make the perfect description of the role for your organization.
You will also find this article helpful if you are interested in getting into the Hadoop developer career and want to learn as much as you can about what they do.
Did this post increase your understanding of what Hadoop developers do? Please, make a comment in the box below. You may also discuss your job description if you work as a Hadoop developer.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.