Event Consultant Job Description, Duties, and Responsibilities
What Does an Event Consultant Do?
An event consultant is responsibility for planning events for individuals or organizations.
His/her job description entails building strong relationships with company’s clients, and following company’s standards assists clients in organizing the details required to successfully execute their events to meet their expectations.
When working with a client, the consultant ensures daily communication with them from the first day they made an inquiry to the day of the event.
The objective of the event consultant is to ensure that events are delivered and installed correctly by entering all the relevant details about the event with the company’s operations team.
He/she works within established guidelines with show promoters, vendors, and venue managers, building and maintaining relationships in order to organize a successful event.
To be effective in performing the work description of this role, the consultant must be effective in communication, as well as being able to motivate and stimulate the people they work, helping to meet their needs and concerns.
He/she must be someone with a friendly disposition who is genuinely interested in meeting the needs of others, including the client, the team, and the company and its managements, as well as in their business and agenda.
Event Consultant Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Event consultants perform various functions to ensure the successful planning and execution of client’s events.
Here is an example of a typical event consultant job description showing major obligations, duties, tasks, and responsibilities commonly performed by someone holding the position:
- Plans and executes events – birthday parties, weddings, meetings, conferences, receptions, large expos, and trade shows
- Helps to secure a venue that will suit the client
- Assists to contract vendors for venue decoration, catering, equipment, etc.
- Works with a graphic designer to design fliers, invitation material, and event programs
- Liaises with a public relation agency to publicize an event
- Ensures that an event runs smoothly without any hitch, and handles any problem that arises during an event professionally
- Meets the client regularly before the day of the event to work out details
- Ensures that expenditures stay within the budget agreed with a client
- Takes care of logistics – transportation, security guards, car parks, etc
- Ensures all event standards are strictly adhered to
- Ensures that drinks meant for an event remain cold
- Takes charge of event concepts and implementation
- Makes estimated costs for an event, negotiate bids with vendors and ensures payments are made after an event
- Coordinates social media event publicity on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc.
- Maintains the records of event activities and do a post-event summary
- Be present on the day of the event to ensure that everything goes smoothly as planned
- Ensures there is thorough clean up after an event
- Determines the number of persons needed to provide support at an event. Calls for additional staff if required
- Maintains a working relationship with vendors and venue managers
- Coordinates event entertainment – music, performers, and guest speakers
- Plans multiple events at the same time
- Proposes ideas on how to improve on the quality of an event
- Ensures compliance with health and safety rules
- Conducts pre-event and post-event evaluation
- Trains staff on the procedures to follow in handling an event effectively
- Provides support for staff whenever it is needed and coordinates vendors
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the client.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for Event Consultant Role
Employers of prospective event consultants usually expect them to possess certain skills, abilities, and knowledge to be able to carry out the work description that will be assigned to them effectively before they are considered for the role.
If you are seeking this position, here are major requirements you might be expected to fulfill by most employers:
- Bachelor’s degree in event management or 3 years on-the-job experience in event management
- Excellent communication skills in both spoken and written forms
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Able to show good business ethics
- Ability to work well under intense pressure
- Ability to pay close attention to details
- Possess good leadership skill
- Strong ability to conduct research on the Internet
- Ability to use messaging apps like Whatsapp and Facebook Messenger
- Possess excellent problem-solving skills
- Excellent negotiation skills are germane for discussing bids with vendors and estimates with clients
- Excellent organizational skills for the purpose of organizing an event without a hitch is important
- Excellent coordinating skills during an event
- Budgeting skills – the ability to stick to a client’s budget
- Possess multi-tasking skills
- Excellent skills in social media and online marketing
- Ability to make a sound judgment at all times
- Knowledge on how to recruit effective support staff
- Excellent management skills are required to manage vendors and clients
- Knowledge of interior and set design will be an added advantage.
From the post above, we can understand how important event consultants are in the event management industry.
Event consultants are part of the lifeblood of the event management business and their services cannot be underestimated.
If you are an employer or someone looking to hire a good consultant for an event, the sample description in this post will help you to have a detailed understanding of what event consultants do, and to make the perfect work description for hiring the best person for the job.
You will also find this article helpful if you are an individual interested in getting into the event management and consulting career. It will help improve your knowledge of the profession.
Did you find this article helpful in learning about the duties, objectives, and responsibilities of event consultants? Please, leave your comment in the box below. You can also share your job description if you work as an event consultant.