Corporate Meeting Planner Job Description, Duties, and Responsibilities
What Does a Corporate Meeting Planner Do?
A corporate meeting planner is saddled with the task of organizing and managing an event from start to finish without a hitch.
These events include conferences, seminars, product launches, press conferences, annual general meetings, shareholders’ meetings, etc.
His/her job description entails ensuring that any event he/she handles is a success.
The scope of the role of a corporate meeting planner is broadened due to the growth of the Internet over the years to include webinars, as a meeting planner may have to deal with an organization’s members working from different locations.
The job of a planner can be very challenging due to the complex nature of planning and execution of corporate meetings, but it can be very rewarding in the end if the virtue of perseverance is applied to all challenges faced in the business.
Corporate Meeting Planner Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Corporate meeting planners perform different functions in ensuring the success of their events.
Shown below is an example of a corporate meeting planner job description showing the major and various duties, tasks, obligations, and responsibilities that are typically assigned to the role in most organizations:
- Find out a suitable venue for a corporate event within the budget of an organization
- Handle the travel arrangements of all guests that will attend an event
- Receive bids from vendors and suppliers who will render different services on the day of the event
- Liaise with on-site staff to ensure that the event runs smoothly
- Carry out a thorough market research so as to gather resources that will be used for the event
- Carry out a post-event evaluation and report same to the client
- Work closely with the Public Relations department in order to carry out proper awareness about an event
- Handle logistics for a corporate meeting or event
- Coordinate business meetings for corporate organizations
- Help to build a strong relationship with all stakeholders – customers, investors, shareholders, media, and employees
- Ensure all vendors are on ground on the day of the event
- Obtain and scrutinize bills from vendors for food, drinks, equipment, and other services and ensure approval for payment
- Suggest ideas on how to make an event successful
- Welcome guests in person on the day of the event
- Keep track of finances for the event
- Consult with other professionals and attend industry events in order to be abreast of new developments in the industry
- Ensure that any problem that arises during an event is amicably resolved
- Inspect event venue and ensure it is in conformity with what the client wants
- Meet with the sponsors and the organizing committee to plan the scope of the event
- Organize the registration of event participants
- Help to provide accommodation for participants of an event
- Monitor an event to ensure compliance with the rules and regulations where applicable.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – For Corporate Meeting Planner
If you are seeking for a corporate meeting planning job, you need to know the qualities, skills, abilities, and knowledge clients and organizations commonly look for when hiring someone for the role so that you can develop them and stand a better chance of being hired.
Shown below are major requirements that employers for the position of corporate meeting planner commonly set for applicants to meet to show that they can effectively carry out the purpose and objectives of the role:
- The possession of a Bachelor’s degree in event management or at least 3 years of on-the-job experience in event management
- Excellent communication skills – written and spoken
- Possess excellent organizational skills and cognate experience in project management
- Ability to complete projects with minimal supervision
- Proficiency in using the web to conduct research
- Excellent computer skills in the use of Microsoft Suites – Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Well experienced in the area of social media for the purpose of engaging the public meaningfully
- Must have exceptional leadership skills
- Must possess coordination and time management skills
- Ability to work well under pressure and be able to adapt to new developments
- Must possess strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to think outside the box by proffering creative solutions to problems
- Must possess strong analytical skills
- Must be a team leader
- Ability to be calm under intense pressure will be key
- Must possess excellent negotiation skills
- Ability to pay attention to detail
- Ability to multi-task and plan different events at the same time.
If you are looking to hire for the position of corporate meeting planner, publishing a comprehensive work description for the role to guide interested persons in their application will help you find the best people for the job.
If you need help in preparing a great description for the job, you can apply the sample corporate meeting planner job description provided in this post as a template in making one for yourself.
And if you are someone interested in a career in meeting planning or related careers, this post also helps to improve your knowledge of the industry, particularly what corporate meeting planners do and the requirements for getting the job and succeeding in it.
Did you find this post helpful in learning about the duties and responsibilities of corporate meeting planners? Please, leave a comment of your thoughts about this article in the box below. You can also share your job description if you work as a corporate meeting planner.